Paint code for dark graphite metallic - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2008, 8:36 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Paint code for dark graphite metallic

I have tried to search the site for this info, but can't find any help on my dark graphite color.

I dropped the bike due to a low speed turn with a flat tire that I didn't know about. The damage is just superficial paint scratches. I don't need all new parts, I just want to have them touched up and repainted. I have a body shop that only does high end cars doing the work.

My question is: what is the paint code I should be giving them? The paperwork I have refers to code 946 for the dark graphite metallic, 989 for the crystal gray metallic, and 997 for the deep blue metallic. But when I search any BMW sites or the glasurit site for paint codes, I come up empty.

I know this is a common problem for folks looking to get damage repaired instead of parts replaced. Is there a web site that can provide the information we need? What is up with BMW motorcycles that it is such a problem getting paint codes for repair work?

I would greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the correct direction!
Thanks!

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2008, 9:07 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Howdy Ken!

I had the same issue some months back - I ended up going with these guys and the paint is a perfect match. My dealer said due to the new regulations in shipping they could not order paint for me any longer.

So, a bit of googlin' turned up these fellas :

Cycle Color

They didn't have the paint code on their website for our Dark Graphite bikes, BUT they were able to find it with no issue. Looking at the 2oz vial they sent me, it says :

"BMW 919/919 - DARK GRAPHIT"

Perfect match and worked on some of the boo-boos I had on the front leading edge of my ol' girl.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:46 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Hey Nex-
The 919 looks like its the right code. I guess the one thing that really had me second guessing was when I looked at the photo associated with 919 on this site: Paint codes
But the 919 color code matches up with the 946 color scheme code. I'll give them both and see what they can come up with.
I still don't understand why getting color codes for bikes is so difficult.
Another damn conspiracy by .... ahh, never mind

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 8:13 am

There is really only one good place to get BMW motorcycle paint, ColorRite. I took the liberty of putting in the link for the 2008 GT paints they carry.

http://www.colorrite.com/CRPLfactory...imageField.y=8

I have used them in the past, and the paint has always been a perfect match.

I hope this helps.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:23 am

I had a similar problem and had to have one of the side panels touched up and re-painted on my Dark Graphite. The colour code here in the UK is 946. It matched perfectly.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 1:07 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmquigley
There is really only one good place to get BMW motorcycle paint, ColorRite. I took the liberty of putting in the link for the 2008 GT paints they carry.

http://www.colorrite.com/CRPLfactory...imageField.y=8

I have used them in the past, and the paint has always been a perfect match.

I hope this helps.
Yeah, I ran across the ColorRite site. The shop I am using has their own paint mixing system that they normally use, so I was trying to help them with getting the actual code so they could have the right "formula" to mix. When I spoke with them this AM, they said they had called Glasurit and gotten the recipe from them. They were mixing up a sample batch to see if it indeed matches.

I think for really minor touch up stuff, the ColorRite products are definitely the easiest way to go.

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2014, 5:36 pm
Noob

Spray Max Paint

I recently painted side case and used Colorrite and found the color slightly lighter than original. I also had to paint part of fairing and and ordered Spray Max http://www.66autocolor.com/Motorcycle-Paint-s/236.htm paint which is made in Germany and found the Spray Max -much- better. The fairing color is almost exact.

As you can see in picture, right side case color is slightly off. I plan to redo using Spray Max
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike_paint.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	16850  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode