New Final Drive Poll - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
View Poll Results: Major Work on Final Drive?
Yes 33 11.79%
No 224 80.00%
'06 63 22.50%
'07 97 34.64%
'08 33 11.79%
Repaired 6 2.14%
Replaced 30 10.71%
Oil changed near 600 mi. 128 45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arnold, CA, USA
Posts: 353
Final Drive Poll

Have you had major work done on the final drive?

You can indicate year, repaired or replaced, and whether the oil got changed at 600 mi.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k

Last edited by howfly; Apr 30th, 2008 at 3:47 pm.
howfly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 7:57 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arnold, CA, USA
Posts: 353
I would love to know about those who had failures and had changed the rear drive oil near 600 miles. I thought about including this in the poll, but couldn't think of a way to keep it simple. Please reply to this post if that's what happened to you.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
howfly is offline  
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 8:40 pm
Veteran
 
Robert_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Troy, MT, USA
Posts: 1,658
This is a good idea.....might want to bump it every once in a while till it's made the rounds.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!


Robert_W is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 9:23 pm
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 438
Wink Ask the time, I will tell how to build a final drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
I would love to know about those who had failures and had changed the rear drive oil near 600 miles. I thought about including this in the poll, but couldn't think of a way to keep it simple. Please reply to this post if that's what happened to you.
06 GT. F-D lube NOT changed at 600 miles, but this was when they were sealed for life.

6000 miles. I was on a trip and had the bike serviced. Asked to have the F-D lube changed. I was told it was not needed, and besides the BMW super special lube was not available in the USA, would have to be imported from Canada @ $90 per liter, or is it litre.
Reeks of black market, some slease ball opens the trunk of his 72 Caddy. "pisssst, hey buddy wan'a buy some oil"?

18000 miles. Dealer replaced the rear drive because of excessive play- warranty. No leaks, no drips, just play. The tech noted to me upon picking up the bike that they all had a little play. Sure nuff, checked another GT in the shop, shook a couple in the showroom, even shook some oilheads. Play, not much. Now where ever I go I have to test BMW final drives for play!

Is this simple enough?

Norris "Assman" Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
ncooper is offline  
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 9:46 pm
Enthusiast
 
dhanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Doyline, Louisiana, USA
Posts: 302
I am kind of odd man out here (AGAIN?). My rear wheel flange/hub to axle splines failed or became out of tolerance (big wobble at rear wheel). The fix requires new FD and matching hub, so I got a new FD but my FD did not fail.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
dhanson is offline  
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 9:52 am
Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: May, Texas, USA
Posts: 414
No problems here, my FD oil was changed at 600 miles and I intend to do it again a 12000.
I saw a post on BMWLT, where a poster figured out how to do it without dropping the FD to drain the oil. The whole thing took him less than 30 minutes.
JamesM is offline  
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 11:00 am
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 438
Thumbs up Final drive oil change made easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
No problems here, my FD oil was changed at 600 miles and I intend to do it again a 12000.
I saw a post on BMWLT, where a poster figured out how to do it without dropping the FD to drain the oil. The whole thing took him less than 30 minutes.
JamesM,
Here is about the best instruction and illustrations on how to change your final drive oil.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ive+oil+change

Also I have included a picture of an alternate (not mine) "redneck" way.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redneck way.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	7805  
ncooper is offline  
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 11:40 am
Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: May, Texas, USA
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncooper
JamesM,
Here is about the best instruction and illustrations on how to change your final drive oil.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ive+oil+change

Also I have included a picture of an alternate (not mine) "redneck" way.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
I've seen that one, but the one I was talking about, you don't have to drop the FD or remove the tire. He used a small vinyl/plastic tube (1/4" I think) and syringe to suck the oil out, refilled with fresh oil, rotated rear wheel to flush, drained again, refilled and wala..
JamesM is offline  
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 1:28 pm
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 438
Wink All this research is cutting into my ridding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
I've seen that one, but the one I was talking about, you don't have to drop the FD or remove the tire. He used a small vinyl/plastic tube (1/4" I think) and syringe to suck the oil out, refilled with fresh oil, rotated rear wheel to flush, drained again, refilled and wala..
James,
Try starting at #21 of this thread http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ive+oil+change
Only problem is you might not get all the gunk out.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
ncooper is offline  
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 4:28 pm
Strafist
 
grifscoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Outside New Braunfels, TX, USA
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncooper
James,
Try starting at #21 of this thread http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ive+oil+change
Only problem is you might not get all the gunk out.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Don't you have an embassy to storm?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
grifscoots is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Final Drive Oil Change 2006 K1200R Coastie Technical, Repair and Maintenance 24 Apr 6th, 2017 9:41 am
Absolutely the most detailed description of the K1200S I've come across... sinc K12/1300S 20 Jul 19th, 2014 10:04 am
Sullivan County, NY 10-30-05 kevinC Ride Tales 4 Apr 27th, 2008 8:52 pm
Final drive oil change - Not entirely successful GMack K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 10 Nov 28th, 2006 9:05 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome