side case reflectors - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

side case reflectors

Has anyone on the site removed the reflectors from the side cases? Are they just glued? A Hair dryer do the trick for removal? How about the side roundells? Same thing, or a stud through the panel?

TIA.

Rusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Exclamation Check your laws!

This subject came up in a previous thread. You might check your local motor vehicle laws prior to removing your reflectors. DOT/DMV in some states and for some reason, the feds come to mind, require a visible reflector or light on the rear/side of the vehicle. I can't quote any requirements. It just came up quite a while back and I have CRS too bad to remember the instance.

Bill
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 5:04 pm
Veteran

Rusty, I replaced the reflectors with the "BMW" insert. I like it. There is still reflector on the bike behind the case. When I need a motor vehicle inspection, I'll just show up without cases.

I used dental floss under a corner and then sawing action. It is just your typical foam strip with adhesive. Heat helped remove what remained.

The roundel is a different matter. There are two locating pins on the back of the roundel that fit matching holes in the fairing. What did you have in mind for this spot?

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Check the law

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07K12GT-Pilot
This subject came up in a previous thread. You might check your local motor vehicle laws prior to removing your reflectors. DOT/DMV in some states and for some reason, the feds come to mind, require a visible reflector or light on the rear/side of the vehicle. I can't quote any requirements. It just came up quite a while back and I have CRS too bad to remember the instance.

Bill
Well, the removal will be temporary, while the lids are being refinished. I doubt the law will get involved in that process...
Thanks for your concern tho.

Rusty
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 7:18 pm Thread Starter

reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Rusty, I replaced the reflectors with the "BMW" insert. I like it. There is still reflector on the bike behind the case. When I need a motor vehicle inspection, I'll just show up without cases.

I used dental floss under a corner and then sawing action. It is just your typical foam strip with adhesive. Heat helped remove what remained.

The roundel is a different matter. There are two locating pins on the back of the roundel that fit matching holes in the fairing. What did you have in mind for this spot?

Chris, Thanks for the tip on the side case reflectors. As for the Roundel I will replace it after the panel is refinished. AS Iwill the reflectors.

Thanks
Rusty
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 10:05 am
Addict

Mine were removed for refinishing also. The roundels will also come off with dental floss, but instead of working the dental floss straight across, you will have to work the dental floss all the way around the roundel to avoid the pins. After removing the roundel on one side, we just decided to mask the roundel on the other, it was much easier, and it worked out fine. If you decide to mask the roundels, just be careful when wet sanding.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2008, 3:13 pm

Red face My bad...

Thought you were referring to permanently removing the reflectors. Anyway, I had a little "disagreement" with one of South Carolina's finest with a hair up his butt in '05 with my RT during Myrtle Beach Bike Week(Harley). He didn't like my '05RT with no reflectors "showing". This is in the middle of 300,000 Harleys with illegal exhausts, etc. No ticket, just a good...discussion.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode