City Quick Lock Tank Bag - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 3:02 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

City Quick Lock Tank Bag

Bought the 8-liter quick-lock tank bag http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3780/570/.
I like the form and function, but it's not quite "floating" above the tank; especially where it slopes down, it is definitely resting on the tank, which I think defeats the purpose. Anyone else have this experience with this particular tank bag?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3793.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	7806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3794.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	7807  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 7:32 pm
Rookie

Yeah, I have the same scenario with mine. I mounted the bag as far back on the Motec bracket as I could, but it still rests on the tank at the rear when loaded. But I don't see any effect on the tank finish (so far).

Do you also find that if you turn bars full left that the horn button engages? Wunderlich makes a bracket for their GT bag which I just ordered from Santa Cruz BMW which shields the horn button so it won't engage.

Other than that, the bag is great, and releases easily. I just took a 1500 mi trip to Baja, and kept all my valuables in the bag. Whenever I left the bike, the bag went with me.

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2008, 5:54 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Good to know. Actually, I have no problems with the horn engaging. There is sufficient clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2008, 1:35 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebus
Do you also find that if you turn bars full left that the horn button engages? Wunderlich makes a bracket for their GT bag which I just ordered from Santa Cruz BMW which shields the horn button so it won't engage.
I tried their site, and couldn't find it! If you get a chance, could you provide the link?

I have the Trail QL, which I thought I mounted far enough aft, but I still hit the horn and windshield buttons at full lock. However, my bag does stay off the tank...

some pics:

I also got the electric mount so all the electrics come off with the bag, and it works great! Pull the string and remove the bag and all my electronics in one quick second!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2008, 3:11 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
I tried their site, and couldn't find it! If you get a chance, could you provide the link?

I have the Trail QL, which I thought I mounted far enough aft, but I still hit the horn and windshield buttons at full lock. However, my bag does stay off the tank...
I forgot to mention that I have the Suburban barbacks and that's why I get the horn activated even with the smaller City bag.

I had to call the parts department at Santa Cruz (1-866-268-9311) to order the part. Ask for Devin, he just put my order together. Its about $25 for the $2 part.

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2008, 3:49 pm
Addict

Thanks Steve!

If you get a the chance later when you receive it, I'd really like to see a picture of it.

Sounds like something I need to do...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 2:09 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
Thanks Steve!

If you get a the chance later when you receive it, I'd really like to see a picture of it.

Sounds like something I need to do...
Richard - here is a photo of the part installed on the GT. I thought it might interfere with the horn button but it turned out not to be a problem. No more embarrasing accidental horn honks when turning left! Also a photo of the view of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	horn brkt.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	7829   Click image for larger version

Name:	helm view.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	7830  

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 4:10 pm
Addict

Thanks Steve!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 4:23 pm

GS bag connection on a GT

No horn honking.
The GS bag does touch the tank on the down slope. A strip of Avery pro-tect film keeps it from scratching the tank and is just barely visible.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0292.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	7832   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5224.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	7833  

Last edited by ncooper; May 4th, 2008 at 7:37 pm.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 9:32 pm
Let's Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxswami
Bought the 8-liter quick-lock tank bag http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3780/570/.
I like the form and function, but it's not quite "floating" above the tank; especially where it slopes down, it is definitely resting on the tank, which I think defeats the purpose. Anyone else have this experience with this particular tank bag?
I have this bag and mine floats above the tank by a 1/4 inch. It's been a year since I installed the bag, but wasn't their an adjustment to how far forward or back you could attach the bag to the ring?
The shape of the bag makes a great "shelf" to rest against on long trips. I would email twisted throttle and ask about adjusting the bag to rest off your bag. I think the Pirate now sells this bag as well.

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode