Windscreen comparo - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2008, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

Windscreen comparo

So... I've played around a bit with replacement windscreens for my K1200GT. I've had it a little over a month with about 1200 miles on it so far. I purchased a dealer (San Jose BMW) demo with right at 600 miles on the clock. Seemed like a lot of miles for a demo but I was told that the owner and wife took it for a trip up the coast. Anyway, I've strayed from the topic already.

For the last 4 years I've ridden a bike with no windshield or fairing. I'm 5'11" (34" inseam) and the first thing I noticed about the GT was that the windshield did an excellent job of blocking airflow to my head and chest with no buffeting at all. However, with the same helmet I had been riding with for two years (HJC Symax I), their was a deafening roar in my ears which I never had in the unblocked, smooth airflow on my previous bike.

My first instinct was to try the tall OEM screen. I found a member here selling one. Fortunately, he very wisely had me measure the vertical height of my screen before we "did the deal" and we discovered that I already was running the tall screen. Maybe it was installed before the trip "up the coast."

So, I continued to read up on windscreens and scan the forum for used alternatives. I came across an excellent deal from a member here and was able to purchase two screens from him, in perfect condition, and combine shipping costs: a ZTechnic VStream and a Cee Bailey +6, +2. When I took the screens out of the box, the VStream was pretty unusual looking while the Bailey had a very stock look but with a moderate laminar lip at the top. The Bailey looked more promising to me so I started with the VStream, with the theory that if I liked the Bailey better, I could just leave it on at the end of the test.

The Cee Bailey looked nice on the bike, not unlike the stock windscreen. The larger size +6 in height, +4 in width (about 3" taller than my "tall" BMW screen) didn't stand out, in my opinion. However, when riding, it seemed much larger. The noise in my ears was gone but, all the way down, the top edge of the shield split my field of vision. This would have been acceptable, but the very thick construction (0.25") combined with the laminar lip, produced considerable distortion. With the shield all the way up, it seemed huge! We're talking "pope mobile" here and my entire field of vision was through the shield with all of its distortions.

The Vstream, if you've seen the photos (I hadn't paid attention), is pretty swoopy in shape and contour; a little too much "styling" for my tastes. It's height matches my BMW tall shield exactly. It is actually a little narrower near the the mid-section (it flares out at a higher point) but is a couple of inches wider on each side (about 4" total) at the top. First thing I noticed in riding is that it was absolutely distortion free (this from a guy who works on very large optics for a living). Nice. But could it really be better at blocking noise since it is no taller than my previous shield? Oh yeah. Very quiet all the way up. The only way that I can explain this is that the additional width at the top (combined with some swoopy shape?) sends the turbulent vortices out wider than my helmet, keeping the noise out of my ears. Remember, none of the three shields failed to keep the pressure off of my head. I like this shield. It seems to have three distinct heights, in my judgement. The lowest gives me good visibility over the top and the wind pressure is constant (and loud) on my helmet with no buffeting. At mid height, all helmet pressure is blocked with slightly reduced roar. Full up, quiet. I'm pretty happy and I'll keep this one for now.

Cee Bailey (+6, +4) plus:
- Nice, stock looking shape that doesn't stand out
- Very quiet

Cee Bailey minus:
- Probably too much shielding for the summer.
- Plexiglass very easy to scratch and needs routine polishing.
- Very thick (0.25") so retaining screws don't engage full thread depth of the soft metal castings of the windscreen arms.
- Distortion throughout shield; especially pronounced at the top edge.

Vstream plus:
- Quiet without excessive height.
- Very low distortion.
- Standard coated polycarbonate construction for scratch resistance; doesn't require 0.25" thickness of Bailey.

Vstream minus:
- Styling is a bit unusual (but growing on me).
- Edge of shield inteferes with inner 30% of rear view mirrors in lowest position.
- Bottom side edges lap over fairing at the lowest position; possible paint rubbing?
- I could pass on the big VTechnik logo front and center near bottom.

Caveats:
- The Cee Bailey was larger than I probably needed and it would be interesting to try in a +4 height (distortion might still be a game ender for me)
- No 2-up testing done. I'm not willing to put both of my children's parents on the same bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2008, 6:28 pm

I had the tall stock windshield on my bike. I changed to a aeroflow mainly because of the loud noise of the stock one and the fact that my head was always getting some buffeting. I ordered the tall aeroflow as I am 6'1". AT first I loved it. I got a really quiet pocket of air. But the buffeting seems to be worse. I go back and forth, noise or buffeting. I am still undecided. I thing I need to wait until the less wind days after spring to see if that is causing some of the buffeting issues. No clear winner here yet. I think the aeroflow is better overall and definitely makes for a quiet ride, but as for buffeting... I am still not sure.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:48 pm
Addict

It seems that this screen thing is a really personal issue depending on your height width etc.
Ive installed a Cee Bailey +2/+2 and it is perfect fore me. I am 6.0" tall, 230lb, and ride with the seat in the high position with the bars at about 80%.
When the screen is at about 75% up I get a clear view across the top with no noise or buffeting. If it rains I put it up all the way and while this does produce some buffeting it also keeps me completely dry. Like seats, there wont be a perfect answer for everyone but I think you will find the tailoring available with the Cee Bailey and the measuring information on their website helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2008, 12:51 am

K1200GT new screen

I am also 5'11". I had a R1200RT and ordered a CeeBailey, lovely, but horrendous in price - landed in South Africa. Fed-Ex and taxes were double the price of the screen. When I got the GT the first thing I noticed was the wind noise and wind in my eyes with visor up.
I took a chance and went to a local plastics company and they copied my original short screen, made it one inch higher, with a lip on the top, at less than $100. SIX times less than an imported CeeBailey. It turned out absolutely perfect. About 10% of previous wind and noise. Set at the middle position, I never look through it, handle bars on highest setting. Open visor at 220Km/h, no wind in my eyes and clear view of road ahead. The CeeBailey is much better looking and if I could get free postage I would order a +2 +2 one immediately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen 1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	7823   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	7824   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen 3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	7825  

Last edited by William-K1200; May 3rd, 2008 at 12:56 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode