ABS / ASC warnings...Any thoughts? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

ABS / ASC warnings...Any thoughts?

Just a few days ago, I started getting "Brake Failure" and ASC warnings on my display panel. Not to be confused with the erroneous brake pad wear indicator warning which has already been on for several thousand miles.

My brake pads have plenty of meat left on them and my fluid resiviors are within correct range.

It just started out of nowhere. The initial symptom that I noticed along with the ABS / ASC warnings was when I got on the throttle pretty hard in first, and then cracked the throttle really hard in second, the front end started to lift. Just as it began lifting, the engine cut the power dropping the front end back to the ground very hard and abruptly. I have been able to replicate this 3 or 4 times now.

I have never ridden the bike with the ASC turned off, and this is the first time I have ever been able to lift the front wheel.

Additionally, after inital start up, sometimes the "brake failure" message goes away after riding the bike a few feet like it normally should, other times, it doesn't turn off.

Sometimes they will come on during riding, stay on, and cutting the engine stopped in traffic will reset them. Other times it will not.

Anyone have similar experiences? I have a 2007 GT, with a Feb 2007 build date. Appx. 5500 miles on the clock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 7:57 pm

Sounds right to me. My understanding of how ASC works is that it is comparing front to back wheel speed and if the back suddenly increases, it assumes loss of traction. Lifting the front would logically trigger this. Never read this anywhere but it seems to make sense to me.

For the other "brake failure" symptoms, it sounds like a sensor issue on one of the wheels?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 12:08 am
Addict

had exactly same issue with a gs1200 and was caused by rain. sold the bike never knew real cause. i think is a sensor or something.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 4:22 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREBRAD
Additionally, after inital start up, sometimes the "brake failure" message goes away after riding the bike a few feet like it normally should, other times, it doesn't turn off.
I would check the wheel speed sensors for gap. I would also buy a GS-911 and read the ABS controller for faults, and go from there.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode