What else needs to be fixed? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 12:21 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

What else needs to be fixed?

I have decided to try to buy a used low mileage 2007 K1200GT. I have mixed emotions about selling my bullet-proof and totally reliable '04 K1200RS, especially after reading about the problems with the new GTs.

Here's what I am finding in this forum:
1. center stands are collapsing - warranty fix
2. oil tank cap vent doesn't work and overpressures - warranty fix
3. air boxes are collapsing and need to be replaced with #470 - warranty fix
4. software needs Version 7 upgrade - warranty fix

Are there any other problems that will need to be addressed? Is the new GT a beautiful blonde German supermodel with a soft drug habit, or is it a reliable ride after the fixes above?

Please don't take offense if you love your GT and don't want to read anything possibly negative. I too love BMWs.

Mike Millsap
Lubbock, Texas
DUST BOWL BEEMERS
2008 Ducati S4Rs Monster Tricolore 269/400
2010 BMW K1300GT Beige Metallic

MikeMillsap.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 1:39 pm

welcome to the group

Lubbuck is a good place for the K. You'll like the riding position compared to your RS. I would consider putting another power outlet direct to the battery (not using the bus). You can charge the battery without the specific BMW charger and power stuff (inflater, etc) with the ignition off.

Also install a real horn. It doesn't come with one.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 1:42 pm
Addict

1) I think mine was done before I took possession
2) new one to me. I haven't had a problem with that
3) collapsing??? I have 25K on the original '06 airbox
4) I'm on 8.x. No issues. No problems

I reckon I'm one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any issues. Well, ok, the brake pad light, but I consider that an annoyance since it doesn't affect the function of the bike.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 1:48 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Millsap
I have decided to try to buy a used low mileage 2007 K1200GT. I have mixed emotions about selling my bullet-proof and totally reliable '04 K1200RS, especially after reading about the problems with the new GTs.

Here's what I am finding in this forum:
1. center stands are collapsing - warranty fix
2. oil tank cap vent doesn't work and overpressures - warranty fix
3. air boxes are collapsing and need to be replaced with #470 - warranty fix
4. software needs Version 7 upgrade - warranty fix

Are there any other problems that will need to be addressed? Is the new GT a beautiful blonde German supermodel with a soft drug habit, or is it a reliable ride after the fixes above?

Please don't take offense if you love your GT and don't want to read anything possibly negative. I too love BMWs.
I have only heard of one center stand breaking (Ken in California). The trouble with most of them is the stops have a tendency to bend. I can't say for sure, but I think that this is caused by trying to remove the bike from the center stand by rocking the bike while sitting on it.

I have never heard of an air-box "collapsing" Some of them have a valve that sticks, causing high idle. This problem occurs on some of the 06, 07, and early 08 models.

The latest software is version 11. something and will upgraded if the air-box needs to be replaced or if the bike has other problems that are addressed by an upgrade.

I may be wrong, but I think that the oil tank cap problem was on the 06 model. I have an 07 and it has the new cap.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 1:50 pm
Rookie

I waited to buy an '08 thinking that by the third year of the new model all the bugs would be worked out - not!!!

My issues:

1. My '08 had the '07 airbox high idle/BBS. Dealer replaced the box and upgraded the software. Guess what - its back now and as bad as ever, must turn the bike off and on to clear the problem. Happens after every extended ride.
2. Heated grip went out, now replaced, but low setting is barely detectable.
3. Clutch squealing under first gear load.
4. Front brake grabbing and squeaking during slow stops.
5. OBC "miles to empty" has gone haywire.

This bike only has 4000 miles on it.

Any questions?

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 2:13 pm
Would rather be riding

Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Millsap
Reading here you definitely get an overexposure to problems. It's good 'cause you know what to expect, but it's bad if it makes you paranoid. I suspect there's a bunch of GTs out there without so many problems.

Another one for your list: premature brake wear indicator light due to broken wires at the front.

My gas gauge went bad, or was bad right from the start - showed empty when it was full. It was replaced not long after the break in service, maybe 750 miles. No problems since.

I'm about done with the factory tires at 5K miles. I don't think that's an issue with the GT though.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 4:13 pm
Veteran

Mike,

I have a "late" 2007 K1200GT. Here were my issues, which I think are the most common ones:

1. Twitchy throttle.
The throttle was so overly sensitive that it was difficult to control the bike, especially at low speeds when riding on anything bumpy. Engine braking was overly strong, which adds to the problem. I thought it was me, and tried to learn to control the "sporty" throttle; I gave up after six months of daily riding. Fixed with software upgrade (no airbox change) to version 10.0, which I still have. (FYI, the current software version is 11.1, according to my dealer on 1 May 2008.) The software upgrade made the throttle much less sensitive, and it decreased engine braking to a reasonable level.

2. High Idle / Bucking Bronco Syndrome (HI/BBS).
Rare, but scary. The engine continues to rev (around 3,000 RPM) after closing the throttle. Happened to me several times; one time I could have rear-ended a police car if I wasn't paying attention. Brakes win over engine, but it isn't very nice. Motorcycle is not smooth, also around 3,000 - 4,000 RPMs, especially in traffic in lower gears. I took this as normal until the airbox was replaced. Fix: Replace the airbox last week under warranty as specified in the service bulletin. Bike has been amazingly smooth at all but the lowest RPMs (2,000 or less in 1st gear). This is how the bike should have been all along. I have only had it back for two days, but the improvement was immediate and obvious.

3. False Brake Pad Wear Indicator.
The brake pad wear indicator illuminates on the panel. A visual inspection of the brake pads shows that they aren't worn. Fix: The dealer replaced the front brake pads (both sets). I argued that it did no good to replace only the "indicator" set if the other set would wear out much sooner. I assume that they re-routed the wiring if that was necessary, but they didn't say anything about it. Apparently it can happen to either the front or rear brake.

That's all. I am very happy with the dealer service people. They are great communicators, they are courteous, and they have an unusual amount of common sense for people in their line of work.

Additional Common Problem that I Didn't Experience:

4. 2006 - 2007 Seat Design
Early 2007 model seats are reported to be very uncomfortable. They slope forward and push the rider into the tank. Many owners buy a custom seat to deal with the problem. Outside the US, some dealers have replaced them under warranty. I haven't seen anyone in the US claim the same service. I note that many people replace their late 2007/2008 seats anyway. I like the late 2007 factory seat, it is comfortable for me.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 7:04 pm
IBR# 366

James is spot on.

Other things to look out for are clutch squeal/judder on takeoff, and a noisy cam chain tensioner on startup. Neither of these seems serious, but are more annoyances that could cause problems over a lot of miles.

Other than that, they're great bikes that are a blast to ride. Although I do have the same problem with keeping tires on the bike (5 fronts and 8 rears in 42K miles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
I have only heard of one center stand breaking (Ken in California). The trouble with most of them is the stops have a tendency to bend. I can't say for sure, but I think that this is caused by trying to remove the bike from the center stand by rocking the bike while sitting on it.

I have never heard of an air-box "collapsing" Some of them have a valve that sticks, causing high idle. This problem occurs on some of the 06, 07, and early 08 models.

The latest software is version 11. something and will upgraded if the air-box needs to be replaced or if the bike has other problems that are addressed by an upgrade.

I may be wrong, but I think that the oil tank cap problem was on the 06 model. I have an 07 and it has the new cap.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 8:56 pm
Veteran

I forgot about the gas sender strip in the tank. Mine was replaced as it as well.

Seat? What can be said about that creation? BMW seems to think you must slide into the tank for some reason only known to them. Aftermarket.

Mack
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2008, 9:18 pm
Addict-oholic

Just remeber that these items that you mention have not occurred on the majority of bikes. You only hear the problems as they are topics of discussion on these message boards. You don't hear about the majority of bikes that are running perfectly.

My 2006 experienced the BBS shortly after I purchased it just before the summer in 06. Got an upgrade to software to ver 7 and it helped. The bike ran perfect until last summer in the hot weather when I got BBS & HI every so oftern. Got the new airbox and the bike is back to perfect.
the centerstand and oil cap were minor recalls. The oil cap was a 30 second swap, and the centerstand was a 30 second viewing.

The bike is so much better than my 2002KRS which had a few problems like an oil seal leaking,etc.

Go get the bike. You will love it!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode