Software Upgrade and Airbox Replacement Experience - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2008, 12:52 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Software Upgrade and Airbox Replacement Experience

Introduction:
I have a late 2007 K1200GT. I had the software upgraded and the airbox replaced in separate operations, 2 1/2 months apart. Last February, the software was upgraded to version 10.0. Last week, the airbox was replaced, but the software version was left unchanged. (The service manager told me that software version 11.1 was available, but he had heard reports of problems with it, and did not install it on my K1200GT.)

Because the two operations were performed separately, I believe I understand how each one affected my bike in isolation. I would like to share my subjective experiences with the group.

Software Upgrade (15 February 2008):
This solved the twitchy throttle and overly strong engine braking problems.

Before the upgrade, the throttle was overly sensitive. The slightest movement would cause the bike to accelerate or decelerate way too much. Engine braking was much too strong, in my opinion. Riding over any bumps would cause the bike to lurch from the tiniest throttle movement, and the lurching would twitch the throttle more, making the bike hard to control. I worked hard for 8 months to learn better throttle management, under the assumption that this was a common feature of the new high-end sport touring bikes, but it was difficult, especially in the urban environment where I live. I have many years of riding experience, on many different bikes.

After the software upgrade, throttle control was easy. The bike no longer jumps at the slightest throttle movement. The throttle requires a little more rotation for hard acceleration, but it was so much better. It feels normal and natural. Furthermore, engine braking is reduced to a reasonable level. For me, it is perfect. If I want harder deceleration, that's what the brakes are for.

Airbox Replacement (29 April 2008)
This solved the BBS problem. It may have solved high idle problem, but it is too early to know.

I have only been riding a few days since the airbox replacement and only on relatively short commutes (mixed freeway and city riding).

I didn't realize how much BBS I had until after the airbox was replaced. The bike just wasn't smooth in normal operation. Since the airbox was replaced, the bike runs like creamy butter - as smooth as silk. The improvement was obvious and dramatic. This is how the bike should have operated from the very beginning.

Even after the airbox replacement, the K1200GT still "bucks" when I ride in first gear at really low RPMs (say, less than 2,000 RPM) in parking lots, but I didn't expect it to be different. I believe that this is normal. Feathering the clutch is appropriate in those situations.

There is still a hesitation when rolling the throttle hard around 3,000 RPM. It hasn't changed.

It is too soon to know if the high idle problem is also gone. It was very rare to begin with. I may never be certain. So far, so good.

Summary:
The software upgrade and airbox replacement made a significant improvement to the rideability of my K1200GT. The K1200GT was a great bike and a major upgrade from my previous bikes when it was originally purchased, and I was very happy with it. After the software upgrade and airbox replacement, it reached an entirely new level in rideability. This is the way the bike should have been delivered in the first place, and it simply feels right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2008, 6:09 pm
Enthusiast

Thanks for the post. I'm still on the fence with my '06. I like the engine braking, have never had high idle and only limited BBS, but it sure stinks when it happens. I will probably have it done at the next service, 18k.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Talking

I had the airbox and software update down on mine in January. I took it out yesterday for a 200 mile jaunt and it really is better. You are correct there is still some twitchiness below 2000 RPM in first. The is a lag around 3000 RPM when your just putting around. The shifting is much smoother for some reason. The ESA seems smoother on the comfort setting. But one thing that I really noticed is that it really seems to have more get up and go. When I just bury the throttle through the gears it just seems to have alot more acceleration. Not that it was lacking before. So if your sitting on the fence about getting it done I would say its time to get off that fence and get to your dealer. You will leave with a big smile!

2006 K1200GT Crystal Grey
2005 Honda CRF450X Uncorked
2006 Honda CRF250X Uncorked (Sons)
IBA 22690
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2008, 11:00 pm
IBR# 366

If you've had any inkling of the HI/BBS or other fueling problems reported here then get your bike in and get the airbox/software upgrade. This is a known issue with a known solution which the dealers are aware of and the parts are available.

If you wait a year or two until you're maybe out of warranty and then have a problem, this could be a troublesome and costly fix.

Remember, part of your purchase price covers the factory warranty so in effect you've already paid for the parts. Plus BMW tracks warranty expenses, so if they see some high numbers coming in then that tends to put pressure on the engineering/manufacturing groups to get it right the first time. Warranty claims really are one of the few ways customers have of giving direct feedback to BMW about the problems they're experiencing.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Great info.
One question though.
I have the first gen computer, I am not sure what version I am running at this time, I think it might be version 8 or so though..
Will the first gen computer accept the new soft wear?.
I am thinking about bringing mine in, I have very hard engine braking as well as when cold some BBS, really noticeable when going over choppy pavement in the lower RPM rang.. The major BBS was kinda fixed a while ago.
If I do not time every shift perfect it will lurch as if being pushed backwards, even worse when riding into the wind.. I am not sure really how to explain that. I think it must be hard on the drive train though.
If I do the battery disconnect thing it runs good for a while but always reverts back to the usual riding issues.
So again will the first gen computer accept the newer versions of softwear that are available or will I have to get the second gen computer?

Thanks
Kevin
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 8:48 pm

Exclamation Yes it will, but you only get 13 tries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGK1200GT
Will the first gen computer accept the new soft wear?.
I am thinking about bringing mine in, I have very hard engine braking as well as when cold some BBS, really noticeable when going over choppy pavement in the lower RPM rang.. The major BBS was kinda fixed a while ago.
If I do not time every shift perfect it will lurch as if being pushed backwards, even worse when riding into the wind.. I am not sure really how to explain that. I think it must be hard on the drive train though.
So again will the first gen computer accept the newer versions of softwear that are available or will I have to get the second gen computer?

Thanks
Kevin
I should load OK. And get your dealer to replace the airbox. that should get rid of 99% of your driveability issues.
tries

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 9:20 pm

I have the first generation computer and it took the latest software with no problems. I picked up my bike first week of june 06. I have one of the first built.

2006 K1200GT Crystal Grey
2005 Honda CRF450X Uncorked
2006 Honda CRF250X Uncorked (Sons)
IBA 22690

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode