The best way to brake K bikes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 3:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

The best way to brake K bikes

What is the best way to brake K bikes ?
Or better how you brake your K bike ?
I was an owner of Honda ST1300 and is not the same system, BMW brakes are more sensibles and efficent.

For "best way" I mean that, I'm not sure if is better to "anticipate a little" front brake and then only after 1 -2 sec use rear brake, or is better to "anticipate a little" rear brake and after front brake

Sure I'm talking about aggressive speed

When I use front brake before I like to have more pressure in rear brake but I don't like the effect when I release front brake.

When I use rear brake beofre I like to pre-load the front fork the use the front brake

So, what is the best way ? not sure, maybe I must use my bike for more km to learn better about this amazing bike

Max
-----------------------------
Un lampeggio
K1200GT blue metallic
MCQ membre #0002
www.motoclubquebec.com
le site de moto numero 1 au Quebec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 5:32 am
Enthusiast

Max,

Because of the anti dive nature of the front suspension there is not really any need to preload it in the way you do with normal forks. There is hardly any dive no matter what you do. Also, the rear brake is activated automatically by the computer when the front brake is applied, so that in normal use there is no need to use the rear brake.

For aggressive riding as you are talking about, you will find that the ABS will easily cut in on the rear brake if you apply only a little more rear brake than the computer does, especially when using engine braking at the same time. I never ride that way but I imagine that the normal techniques used on other bikes will not apply to the GT because of the linked brakes and the anti dive geometry of the front suspension. You will just have to ride more and experiment and have more fun.

Good luck and let us know what technique you find works best for you on the GT.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 9:14 am
Addict

Since the rear brake is applied automatically when the front is applied, I only use the rear for slow speed maneuvers.

James
Central Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 11:16 am
Veteran

Monsieur Max,

Because you stated "aggressive speed", you should apply both brakes together at the same time. Even though the brakes are linked, having good habits may help if you are ever on a different bike or there is some type of brake system failure.

Practice helps a lot.

Note that there are two different brake systems for current generation K1200GTs. The 2006 model uses servos, the 2007 and above do not. The front/back linkages are also different between the two types of braking systems.

The physics of braking a motorcycle are the same for K1200GTs as they are for other bikes. The goal is extract the maximum friction from both tires and the road. As the forces shift forward and additional weight bears down on the front tire, you can squeeze the front brake harder without skidding. Likewise, there is a reduction in weight on the back tire, so you have to ease up or the back tire will skid. Of course, the ABS prevents skidding by releasing the appropriate brake just before a skid occurs. Not all bikes have ABS, and ABS can fail on bikes that do have it, so good braking technique is useful.

The 2007 K1200GT has the best brakes of any bike I have seen. About six months ago I had a chance to compare the K1200GT against a wide variety of other bikes including other BMWs, Harleys, Ducatis, and more. There was an emergency braking exercise on a flat dry asphalt surface. Each rider got several turns to make a straight run, then emergency brake at a marker. There were lines to show stopping distance. For two of my turns, I decided to jam on both brakes hard, to see what the ABS on the K1200GT would do. It was impressive, and bested all of the other bikes in the course. Frankly, even with a lot of practice, it is hard to best the K1200GT ABS system.

Bottom line: Use both brakes when riding at "aggressive speed".

Note: There are cases where using one brake or the other helps. I use only the rear brake in certain low speed situations, such as parking lots. I may use only the front brake at a red light, so I am ready to plant my right foot and operate the shifter with my left foot. It depends.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 11:59 am
Enthusiast

On my '07 I just grab a handful of front brake...hard!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 7:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you for your answers, several times the best answer is the most easy answer, I'm working now to use both brakes and I like it

and yes me too I use rear brake in parkings and low speed situations

Max
-----------------------------
Un lampeggio
K1200GT blue metallic
MCQ membre #0002
www.motoclubquebec.com
le site de moto numero 1 au Quebec
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2008, 1:32 pm

DavidS
I agree, after 7000km (on 07) I have not touched my back brake, just grab with the right hand and brace yourself for the G-Force :-)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2008, 3:32 pm

Braking

Wow, I guess I'm old school or something. I set my speed before entering the turn and lean hard on the bars. In the event of having to brake I trail brake. Its an old habit I guess. I really try not to use my brakes when riding aggressively, I use my gears and try to stay off the front brake. Maybe you guys will convert me to using the front brake. Don't get me wrong, I know the front brake is about 70% of your braking and I use the heck out of it but not when in a turn. Trail brake possibly and throttle.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2008, 4:49 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan44
Wow, I guess I'm old school or something. I set my speed before entering the turn and lean hard on the bars. In the event of having to brake I trail brake. Its an old habit I guess. I really try not to use my brakes when riding aggressively, I use my gears and try to stay off the front brake. Maybe you guys will convert me to using the front brake. Don't get me wrong, I know the front brake is about 70% of your braking and I use the heck out of it but not when in a turn. Trail brake possibly and throttle.
Sounds to me like you're doing it right.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2008, 7:06 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by William-K1200
DavidS
I agree, after 7000km (on 07) I have not touched my back brake, just grab with the right hand and brace yourself for the G-Force :-)
Yep, go in hot, brace for the decel g's, whack it WFO and know the ASC will keep the back hooked up and the front on the ground. What fun!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode