About K ABS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2008, 1:23 pm Thread Starter
Addict

About K ABS

Even I don't drive or ride extremely hard I like to test my machines at the limit just to know what to expect. I was surprised how the brakes behaves. I have the new 2008 with non assisted brakes. What is happening is that if brakes are progressively applied braking is good enough, not very firm though. If on good road surface and suddenly apply full force brake, as recommended in case of emergency actually ABS came in and prevent from braking, you feel it making click- click- click and keep going and going. Pretty scary. Road was best quality, absolutelly no slipping. Same non assisted brakes are doing a very good job on the GS1200Adv., lifting rear wheel in the air few cm before the ABS is coming in. I may be wrong but if I remember correctly the old assisted brakes on 2006 model worked better. Did yo test your ABS?

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2008, 3:41 pm
Veteran

Doru,

Yes. I tested my 2007 K1200GT against many other brands of motorcycles. Everyone rode toward a line marked with two cones, then applied the brakes to practice emergency stops. Speeds started out at 20 mph (32 kph) and were increased to 40 mph (64 kph).

My K1200GT did the best. I felt the brakes shudder as I grabbed them hard and held them. The shuddering didn't last long, because the bike stopped very quickly.

The surface was moderately rough asphalt (blacktop).
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2008, 8:03 pm
Would rather be riding

Testing ABS

I'm not sure what you mean by "non-assisted brakes", I thought all next gen GTs (06+) had the same braking system.

Anyway, I also tested my ABS a lot when I first got the bike, and do so every now and then still. I did hard braking front only, rear only, and combined on gravel, dirt, and dry and wet asphalt.

IMHO the ABS on the KGT is superb. It always did exactly what I expected. I still routinely feel the ABS kick in on the back because I seem to have developed a habit of over-braking on the rear (especially while downshifting), but that's minor and the ABS is helping me kick that habit.

I find it a little surprising when the front ABS does kick in, mainly because I'm slowing down so damn fast by then! The bike stops really quickly, faster than I typically anticipate. That is, I always expect the ABS to kick in sooner. I actually find it very comforting to know that I can literally just squeeze the hell out of the front lever and stop quickly and safely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2008, 8:47 pm
Enthusiast

07 and 08 GTs have Teva non-servo assist brakes. 06 GTs use the servo assist version.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 12:34 am Thread Starter
Addict

i'm talking about new 2008 non assisted brakes, i remember 2006 were fine. anybody tested non assisted brakes?

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 6:36 am
Addict

Doru, I have a late 06 and when I emergency brake my ABS completely fail and my large stomach undulates all over the tank.
My trainer has said if I cut down on the beer and do 100 sit ups a day my ABS will come back and that I wont have this braking problem.
P.S. Sorry, its Friday night and I am on my 3rd glass of red and couldnt resist.
Only the early 06`s had power assistance. By November 06 it had been removed as many found it too sensitive. I have read a number of forums that were critical of the GT ABS for the exact reason that you state however this new feel apparently allows you to still steer the bike at fairly accute angles under heavy braking where as the earlier ABS as on your GS still chirps and would lose traction if steered quickly with a handful of lever.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 6:51 am Thread Starter
Addict

man, when a tractor pull brakes out of the sudden in front of you like it happened to me all you need is to stop. well you can't stop with this one. i just want to know if "they all do that" or have to take it to the doctor. enjoy your red. here 2pm, still at the office.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 9:24 am
Enthusiast

Doru,

Are you talking about actually not stopping or the feeling that you are not stopping because the ABS is reducing braking power? In the latter case the vehicle actually does stop quickly but feels like you could get more braking power without the ABS.

The only experience I have had with the ABS on the bike is with the rear brakes. A few times I have deliberately tried to lock up the rear wheel at slow speeds on a slippery surface, such as sand on smooth bitumen. In this case the ABS reduced braking power to almost zero as soon as it locked up due to the lack of grip available and I am sure I could get more braking by manually controlling the brakes. Maybe this is what happened to you and the surface didn't have as much grip as you thought.

I have never even come close to locking the front brake in any conditions and I ride every day of the year. I have done several very heavy stops and the only ABS the kicked in slightly was the rear, usually because of the extra engine braking due to downshifting in a hurry.

I have had an experience a bit like you have described in my Volvo 850. In this case I think my brain went missing and I was accelerating straight for pedestrians crossing the road in the middle of the city when I suddenly realised what was happening and hit the brakes. The ABS took over and I felt like the car wasn't stopping. However, it did stop about 1m from the crowded pedestrian crossing. It is disconcerting when no matter how hard you apply the brakes you don't get any more braking power and this is what ABS does to cars and bikes. I think it is mostly a feeling rather than an actual significant drop in braking capacity, especially on good surfaces.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 11:26 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD
Doru,

Are you talking about actually not stopping or the feeling that you are not stopping because the ABS is reducing braking power? In the latter case the vehicle actually does stop quickly but feels like you could get more braking power without the ABS.
what i was saying is that pulling brake to the bottom as recommended in case of emergency makes breaks weaker than if using them progressivelly. a different bike, gs1200adv with exactly same breaks lift the rear wheel before entering abs, this one is not stoping, abs is entering too early.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 12:44 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I Have an 07 GT, 03 FZ1 (Yamaha Fazer 1000 in Europe), 00 Ducati, I ride the same route to work every day, altering the bikes. The only time I can really tell a difference in hard braking is when it is wet, with the BMW its just brake, the others you have to pay attention to lever pressure.

I think you need to try another GT to compare to yours. It sounds like the ABS software is not correct in your bike. (After all the iterations of the engine management software, I would expect maybe some bits are confused in the braking computer) A comparision between bikes should answer that question.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode