Harder than it has to be... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2008, 8:20 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Harder than it has to be...

Hi Fellow GT'ers,
I am having a bit more trouble than I should be installing my Centec fuse panel on top of my battery. How is everyone mounting the panel in this area? I know some of the guys have said they used velcro type products, but what are you attaching the velcro to beneath the fuse panel? I gotta figure it is not safe to screw the mounting screws into the top of the battery. If I mount the panel on top of a small piece of metal, then I have the nuts on the bottom of the metal piece that would prevent the velcro from making good contact with the battery top and the bottom of the panel's attached metal base. I MUST be making this harder than it has to be. What am I missing here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hornwiring.gif
Views:	121
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	7894  

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2008, 12:21 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I used double sided tape to hold the valcro to the battery and to the fuse block.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2008, 8:58 am
Addict

Ken,
I mounted the Centec to a small piece of Plexiglas (counter sunk the screw heads), and then stuck the Plexiglas to the top of the battery.
If you are just mounting one Centec, a better place is on the small shelf under the left panel. I also have one mounted there.

James
Central Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2008, 1:17 pm

I mounted it on the metal piece that hold down the battery. I drilled two holes in it and bolted it to the two botton mounting holes on the fuse pannel. It is centered and on hte edge of the battery facing the rider position. It worked out very well, looks neat, and is easy to access.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2008, 3:34 pm
Enthusiast

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2008, 8:07 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
Ken,
I mounted the Centec to a small piece of Plexiglas (counter sunk the screw heads), and then stuck the Plexiglas to the top of the battery.
If you are just mounting one Centec, a better place is on the small shelf under the left panel. I also have one mounted there.
The plexiglas idea sounds great. I already used the shelf by the ABS unit for my strebel horn and bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hornmounting.gif
Views:	71
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	7904  

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 12:28 am
Rookie

centec mounting

Mount Centec To Small Piece Of Plexi-glass. 1/8" Thickness; Screwed To Centec @ The Corners. Use Velcro, "loop/furry Side" On Bottom Of Plexi-glass. This Will Cushion Screw Heads That Stick-up Slightly. Afix "hook" Side Of Velcro On Battery And Attach. Easy Enough.

DON'T WAX'M; JUST RID'M!!

04'KGT=RED SLED/ SAY GOOD-BYE/ SOLD
07'KGT=SQUEEEZA-LICOUS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 10:25 am

RadioShack Dual-Lock

For any project where velcro <might> be used I prefer using Dual-Lock which can be picked up at RadioShack (I think they sell similar at Home Depot etc.)

The reason I use this product is that the lock is a lot more aggressive than velcro. Both sides are plastic 'loops' - and when they're put together it's significantly more secure than velcro.

The only downside is it's greatest strength (although I don't think you'll have an issue w/ the Centech unit) - the locking of the two sides is very aggressive. If your using this product to mount something flexible it can be difficult to separate dual-lock. You might have to pull on it a bit - or use a flat blade screwdriver or the like to start separation. In any case, you'll NEVER be concerned about the unit coming off on it's own.

Mike

'08 K1200GT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 7:20 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
For any project where velcro <might> be used I prefer using Dual-Lock which can be picked up at RadioShack (I think they sell similar at Home Depot etc.)

The reason I use this product is that the lock is a lot more aggressive than velcro. Both sides are plastic 'loops' - and when they're put together it's significantly more secure than velcro.

The only downside is it's greatest strength (although I don't think you'll have an issue w/ the Centech unit) - the locking of the two sides is very aggressive. If your using this product to mount something flexible it can be difficult to separate dual-lock. You might have to pull on it a bit - or use a flat blade screwdriver or the like to start separation. In any case, you'll NEVER be concerned about the unit coming off on it's own.
This is the stuff I ended up using. It is specifically designed to hold up to the higher temperatures that you might get from the engine. I also went with the plexiglas. I only had some thin stuff so I ended up gluing together several pieces to make some thickness so I could counter sink the screws. Worked out great. I will take pics tonight.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode