Dropped my GT- need help with front cowl and tank mount removal- replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 5:15 am Thread Starter
Addict

Dropped my GT- need help with front cowl and tank mount removal- replacement

Yep.

I dropped it on the right side. Freak ice storm in the mountains of Tennessee. Tried to go through 2.5" of hail on the ground to get back to where I was staying. Got blocked by tree branches in the road and dumped it standing there trying to figure out what to do. Couldn't go forward, couldn't back down the steep incline I was on due to all the ice, couldn't turn around.

BIG DOLLARS to replace the parts- $2367.00 estimate. Nothing mechanical- ran like a sdream the next day on "Tail of the Dragon". That's big cash for plastic!

I'd like to replace the bodywork myself. Everything seems easy but the front cowl and the small, black "tank mount" that the side panel bolts to is a mystery. Can anyone help? Anyone have pics of those procedures, or am I about to be the person to make them?

Thanks-

B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	med 5-19-07 k1200gt 002.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	7914  

Last edited by Brahma; May 15th, 2008 at 6:08 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 6:42 am

keep cool

sorry to hear abouy your story,how much got dammaged, are the pieces broke or scratched, sounds like a lot af money, start a little at a time to take off the pieces, or go to a near by body shop I am sure they can take off and replace it. it is not brain sergery ,
as long as the bike never got damaged once put back together you will never know it was dropped, call sandiego bmw speak to Shawn in parts they are really good, I am from Canada I found them to be really helpfull; tell him that you where speaking to me ask him what he can do for you for parts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 7:46 am Thread Starter
Addict

Remember- this was just a literal "drop" from a dead stop because my feet slipped on 2.5" of ice marbles (see attached). My opinion is that the bike is pretty solid for a dead drop- too bad the plastic has to be so expensive... I hope I NEVER hear that sickening sound again though!

Estimate: $2367.00

Front cowl
Right Mirror
Right main panel
Right tank mount (main panel came in an "kissed" it)
Handlebar balancer
Brake lever
Right side bag cover

The hardest things will be the cowl and I bet especially the tank mount- I have no idea how to get into that. Not quite sure about how to remove and replace the brake lever either.

Hey Grif- you musta had this stuff off already huh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikedrop.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	7915  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 8:26 am
Veteran

You might want to look at the microfiche drawings on either Max BMW or A&S BMW and study their exploded drawings. I've had the sides off as well as the top tank covers and they aren't too bad, just a lot of screws and some hidden under that black rubber cowling at the front wheel. Make sure you note their length and where they go as they are different lengths. I don't know if the BMW repair DVD would do you any good. I've found it about worthless except for maybe torque values which you might not need as all the bodywork screws are hand-tightened.

Some have done the Xenon lamp thing. There was a description on taking apart the front end on this site somewhere. Search might find it.

Good luck and be thankful the "cheap" case cover protected that $1500 muffler. I wasn't so lucky and with the cases off, it rocked more and busted the mirror as well as shield. My bill was around $4500 and the dealer (Ventura BMW +++) did all the work while I waited. My insurance also jumped up to $1K a year at renewal, but I switched companies and got it down to $450 a year.

Mack
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 8:42 am
I'm riding

Sorry to read about it.

To remove the side panel is quite easy - 8 torxes by perimeter. They are of different length - mark them.
The cowl is more compicated job - you will have to take away the shield and lamp and dashboard as this is not only a piece of exterior but also a frame for a lot of the components, imho.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 9:00 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
...but also a frame for a lot of the components, imho.
I forgot and easyman05 reminded me.

There was a piece of some frame bracket or something that got bent in the process of getting knocked over that they also replaced. They knew about it without even taking it apart when they ordered all the parts. Must be some common bracket or something under there.

Mack
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 10:02 am
Strafist

Yeah, I have. Bring it over.

It's all real straight up.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 10:10 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Yeah, I have. Bring it over.

It's all real straight up.
A little too far for me Grif! I'm in Columbus, OH.

Got any pics of the cowl removal?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 8:43 pm
Veteran

I have had the cowl off. It is not difficult. Easy actually. It will become obvious. You DO NOT have to remove the dash, only the windshield. For the main side panel, there is a "hidden" screw under the upper left lip of the air intake. I had all my panels off and back on in less than two hours.

Can't help with the tank mount.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
Remember- this was just a literal "drop" from a dead stop because my feet slipped on 2.5" of ice marbles (see attached). My opinion is that the bike is pretty solid for a dead drop- too bad the plastic has to be so expensive... I hope I NEVER hear that sickening sound again though!

Estimate: $2367.00

Front cowl
Right Mirror
Right main panel
Right tank mount (main panel came in an "kissed" it)
Handlebar balancer
Brake lever
Right side bag cover

The hardest things will be the cowl and I bet especially the tank mount- I have no idea how to get into that. Not quite sure about how to remove and replace the brake lever either.

Hey Grif- you musta had this stuff off already huh?
Sorry to hear about your "drop". I know the sound well. It's a real pisser. Particularly after 1/2 mile on a new bike.(lol)

$117 for the mirror. $402 for the lid. $6.20 for a new reflector. Actually, $1842 for the remaining parts sounds like a pretty good deal? Relatively speaking.

Be thankful you didn't tear up a back, knee, shoulder, or arm. Judging from the feedback I got on my tipover. The cost of the plastic is minute compared to any body( human ) damage.

If you need a lightly scratched right lid? Let me know. Hope you're back to full speed soon.
Regards, Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode