Bars up, bars down - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2008, 8:28 am Thread Starter
Addict

Bars up, bars down

How do you keep your bars? I found better to keep bars full down on open road and full up inside the city. Options = problems.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2008, 11:25 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
How do you keep your bars? I found better to keep bars full down on open road and full up inside the city. Options = problems.
The dealer had it set for full up when I picked it up last year. I haven't changed it.

I have wanted to try the bars in different positions, including full down, but always seem to be in a hurry whenever I think of it.

The dealer told me to make sure the torque is correct when adjusting the handlebars. He said 25 pound feet (34 Nm), but I have not verified his value against the manual.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2008, 5:21 pm

The bike was delivered with the bars in the highest position. After only a few weeks, I installed the Heli bar adapter and had been pretty happy with the result. Last week, however, I installed the Stebel Nautilus Compact horn, and since I have a tankbag, the horn button would contact the tankbag at full left lock on the bars. It's wasn't a problem with the anemic stock horn, but the Nautilus would have scared the daylights out of anyone within a couple hundred feet of the bike (and me, as well) so I removed the Heli adapter and put the bars in the lowest position as an experiment.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems to be more comfortable and I feel more "connected" to the bike with the bars in the lowest position. It does require a more pronounced "Master Yoda" riding position. I'd recommend to anyone that they at least take advantage of the adjustibility of the bars to determine what works best.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2008, 5:48 pm
Enthusiast

Like most, my dealer had the bars full up on delivery. I figured that I would immediately move them all the way down but decided to have them adjusted to 2 notches above the lowest setting. That was for one week....then I lowered them to full down. Frankly, I think they could be a full one inch lower for optimum position.

My first bike 11 years ago was a '98 K1200RS bought used with "barbacks" on it. Rode like that for several months until I decided to experiment and remove them. I felt like a complete transformation in handling (through weight distribution) occurred.

I feel that way about the GT too. The bars (and seat) full down distributes your weight a bit more forward, changing the COG. Having a problem with wind management? It also drops your head a few inches which eliminates all buffeting. The airflow is clean, not choppy over my stock (tall) BMW screen.

Lets face it...even with the bars down you aren't in a race-crouch just a more "sporting" position....and the GT is a Sport-Tourer. Try it...you might be surprised how much it transforms the bike's performance/handling in comparison with full up bars and seat.

Mike M
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2008, 6:48 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Bars up, seat down. Just right for me. I like a slightly aggressive posture, and this is just about right. I had an RS, which was a little too aggressive for my taste, although I did learn to live with it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 4:30 pm

I have my bars down all the way.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 5:55 pm
Would rather be riding

Bars down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM
Like most, my dealer had the bars full up on delivery. I figured that I would immediately move them all the way down but decided to have them adjusted to 2 notches above the lowest setting. That was for one week....then I lowered them to full down. Frankly, I think they could be a full one inch lower for optimum position.
I'm right there with you Mike, I rode with the bars near the bottom for a while, then moved them all the way down and like them there. If there was a lower setting I'd use it.

I had the stock seat in the low position too, even though I'm 6'2" the leg bend wasn't significantly different and I felt more connected to the bike. (Also the high seat position put too much of a squeeze on my important bits.) The Corbin seat is single position and it's about in between the stock high and low position, so it works out fine (and my jewels can still breathe.)

My last bike (Kawasaki GPZ1100) had much lower handlebars and the pegs were farther back, such that I (along with pretty much everyone who had that bike) installed bar risers just to get comfortable. The GT with the bars full down is still higher than the GPZ with 1.5" risers.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 2:41 pm
Enthusiast

Thums Up to Bars Down

I had my bars all the way up for around 13,000 miles. Just did about 2500 miles to the Smoky's and back. I had tires put on in Knoxville (about 550 mi from home) and had the lower the bars for all the upcoming mountain riding. Now new tires are always great, but I swear the lower bars makes it handle better. As someone said, it lowers your CG or moves it forward. I love it!

Before the trip I also installed the tank grips sold by Pirate. That's the best $50 I've spent on the bike. They enable you to hold the tank with your knees and not slide forward under braking or when descending a hill - something you do a lot of in the Smoky mountains. If you really ride correctly, you'll use the tank to hold you up and the resulting unweighted arms to lightly steer the bike, talk about steering input - even with the duolever.

New tires, bars down, tank grips, mountains = 9 great days of riding. Looking forward to the ride to Road America this weekend.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 8:36 am

Full down, and I wish I could get it down a bit more. I feel much more connected to the bike in full down. The bike seems more like an extension of myself, rather than something I am trying to pilot.

Of course, I came from an RS and always liked the position on it as well.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 9:28 am
Noob

I have tried all possible settings and full down beats them all...........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode