Uncomfortable Seat - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 3:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Uncomfortable Seat

I just changed the stock seat on my 2006 GT to a custom Rick Meyer one. The passenger one is great but the rider seat is better but still not right. It is narrow at the front and still slopes down towards the tank. My old K1200RS was more comfortable to ride. I added bar backs and it helped a little. Anyone else have similar problems? I also want to change the exhaust as is too quiet for me. Any thoughts on the best replacement canisters or entire exhaust systems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 6:20 pm
Enthusiast

Whole seat is a poor design

So you think both the old and new seats are poor and barbacks are needed... Well, join the club. The stock seat was very uncomfortable. Even the Russell Day-Long seat I bought at great cost for my 2006 still tilts me into the tank due to the original BMW designer's poor handiwork. To "raise" or "lower" the seat you are really only changing the height of the forward edge of the seat. Lower your seat = adding more tilt. Great thinking by the factory huh? Forced by the extra width of the Day-Long to set my seat low so my feet can sort-of reach the ground on this top-heavy machine, I have to put up with maximum tilt.

It helps a little to pull-off those "turbine" looking rubber-plasticky things on the two rear pegs on the front seat and replace them with a thin hard plastic disk placed down in the peg sockets. (Disks can be found in specialty hardware at Home Depot.) That corrects a little of the infamous tilt. More work needs to be done on this whole question though.

Just studying the complicated raise-lower mechanism at the front of the seat had me wondering if the BMW seat-guy is really living on the same planet as the rest of us. Once I blew the chickenshit horn he chose though, I suddenly knew for a fact he was an alien.

As to the exhaust, only the cannister is typically changed as only god could afford a whole BMW exhaust system. Be careful what you wish for here. I sold the original torpedo and bought the Remus stainless cannister (with "quiet" restrictor insert) and have found it to be a little too loud for my taste. Let someone pull a lot of throttle taking off near you and have a good listen before you buy.

Last edited by K_Biker_Bill; May 21st, 2008 at 6:28 pm.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 10:24 pm
KKM

Here is the best fix. Have Rick buy the seat back. Than do a ride in at Rocky Mayer down in Ojai. I just got back from there tuesday. Now I can sit on my 08 GT and smile. There is no way you can compare the two seats. I had Rick do my 03 GT. After two tries to fix it I gave up. Than I road down to see Rocky in Ojai. That was a very good seat. It is worth a 500 mile ride for a real custom seat.

[2003 K1200GT Sold
[2006 KTM525 EXC
[2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 10:31 pm
Noob

The seat just plain SUCKS! period.

I absolutely love my '07 GT, with the exception of the seat!!!!

I rode a '98 RS for 61k miles, it had a Corbin saddle on it and I never even thought about seat comfort. The bike fit me (6', 200lbs) like a glove.

I bought my GT a year ago and have been fighting with the seat ever since. My machine came with the first generation seat. It's like sitting on the edge of a 2x4 and at the same time it makes you entire body weight lean towards the tank. While your 'parts' are becoming more and more sore during this time.

I bought a Bill Mayer seat and absolutely hated it. I didn't like the way it looked and it felt like a seat in a 1980 Mercedes (basically a bleacher). I'm sorry but I'm only 35 and I still want my ride to look a bit sporty!!

I than bought a second generation OEM seat. It still is not the best, but it is a far cry from the first OEM seat I had.

I began to play around with other items on the GT to try and help with the comfort. I took the rubber bumpers off the bottom of the seat and cut about 1/4" or more off the plastic post and put the rubber bumpers back on. Than I lowered the handle bars down to about the middle (they were all the way up).

Believe it or not, I can actually ride it now without dreading the fact that the seat is going to kill me. Or make the hemorrhoids come back that the original seat gave me... NO KIDDING!!! Again, I am only 35! It was horrible!!

My advice... call BMW of Chicago get a 2nd Gen OEM seat, cut the posts, drop the bars and RIDE!!!!!

What I really want is a seat made out of a Airhawk cushion made by ROHO (www.rohostore). These are very popular with the handicap!! If someone can make it, I will buy it!!!

Hope this helps and good luck.... It takes time and whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Sincerely,

Bud

Bud N.
Bowling Green, KY

2007 BMW K1200GT - (Need to make it comfortable) -Current
2003 BMW K1200LT - (Too slow) - Sold
2002 Honda Goldwing - (Wife hated it) - Sold
1998 BMW K1200RS - (True Love) - Sold
Owned the RS up till I bought the GT.....
I still miss the ole' taxi cab...

Always willing to ride, Let me know the time and place!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 11:13 pm
Veteran

I don't think you can beat Russell on their seats. Only one that's sprung internally (patented). I found restaurant seats more uncomfortable than the Russell and I often longed to get back in their saddle. I could sit on it for hours and never get sore.

They talked me into their cooler Velour topped seat (I'm in a hot desert), backrest, and pillion. I did the drive-in to make certain it fit well. Took them 8am to 5pm to do it all. It does raise you up maybe an inch and it is wider at the back for more thigh support so if you're short you may have issues with it. They tossed in a rain cover as well to protect the seat if it should rain or when washing. Dealer's salesman wanted it on trade-in as he test rode it, but some guy bought it before he could swipe it off the bike.

Their seat foam grinder wanted the thighs to be slightly downward to allow circulation to the lowers rather than a bent upward position which can cause cramps. He said to follow a group on a long ride and watch the number of people who often stand to get circulation back or try and uncramp. He was right. They do stand a lot.

Problem is you have to wait months to get in during riding season so book ahead.

Regarding the AirHawk - or gel pads. It's a Band-Aid for a seat that is poor to begin with. Buddy had one and it leaked twice. They replaced it, but the third time it leaked around the valve area they said "Tough!"

Mack
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:11 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Regarding the AirHawk - or gel pads. It's a Band-Aid for a seat that is poor to begin with. Buddy had one and it leaked twice. They replaced it, but the third time it leaked around the valve area they said "Tough!"

Mack

I don't want the cushion that sits on top of the seat.....

I want a seat with this technology built into it!

My father in Law is handicap and been using these cushions for YEARS!!!

I think he has a couple that are more than 10 years old.

Not sure what your buddy was doing to his.... But I have never heard of anything that ROHO wouldn't replace.

Sincerely,

Bud

Bud N.
Bowling Green, KY

2007 BMW K1200GT - (Need to make it comfortable) -Current
2003 BMW K1200LT - (Too slow) - Sold
2002 Honda Goldwing - (Wife hated it) - Sold
1998 BMW K1200RS - (True Love) - Sold
Owned the RS up till I bought the GT.....
I still miss the ole' taxi cab...

Always willing to ride, Let me know the time and place!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode