Something Worth Checking on Saddle Bags - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2008, 4:43 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Something Worth Checking on Saddle Bags

I noticed (hard not too) a pin from the handle mechanism on my saddle bag floating around in the recess. Apparently the circlip broke (a piece of it was found - cheap stuff) and the pin on the left side backed out. In checking the right side, the same pin was missing the clip. I do not remove the bags too often so it's not from overuse.

A trip to Ace hardware for a couple 1/4 inch cir-clips (no metric at the store) and 5 minutes later the problem was solved with better fittings. The problem is if the pin backs out and gets lost you'll have difficulty carrying the bags off the bike (the handle is only half attached). Since this happened on both sides and around the same time it seems to be a fatigue/cheap part syndrome. Just like my POS horn.

Repair cost me 41 cents and some better piece of mind. Loosing the pins would probably incur time, about 10 bucks and a hassle with the dealer. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2008, 6:40 pm

circips in the toolbox

Did they forget to put the infamous circlips in your toolbox ? Strange I though everyone got 100 spare circlips with the bike. Never leave without them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2008, 9:32 pm

Cir clips

Beaver;
Thanks for the heads up. I have periodically checked this area for loose clips, but never bothered to keep extra clips on hand. I am off to the Ace store.
Ride safe.
EJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2008, 3:17 am
Enthusiast

I've had these circlips broken 4 times already. I now carry some spares, but not from the GT side bags, but from the K1100LT top case. These are made of different metal (steel instead of what I think is a Nickel or Chromium alloy for the GT side bag clips) and won't break. P/nr. 07.11.9.932.815. Will cost you around $ 0.11 per pce.

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2008, 1:42 pm
Veteran

Any one got a pic of these clips? I'm having a hard time visualizing what it is you guys are talking about. Probably something really straight forward and simple but still way too hard for my brain.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2008, 2:57 pm
Enthusiast

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circlip.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	7963   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9910a.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	7964   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9911a.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	7965  

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...

Last edited by ®win; May 23rd, 2008 at 3:14 pm.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2008, 6:19 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
I will keep a couple in the tool kit. Thanks!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2008, 1:11 pm

I've had all 4 fall out at one time or another. However the replacement clips from the dealer seem to stay better so I don't know if something changed on the clips or if the dealer is doing a better job of installing than the assembly line did.

BrianT

07 K1200GT
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2008, 4:24 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT
I've had all 4 fall out at one time or another. However the replacement clips from the dealer seem to stay better so I don't know if something changed on the clips or if the dealer is doing a better job of installing than the assembly line did.
They don't fall out, they break.

Grtz,
Erwin

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2008, 11:15 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Smile 20K bike with 1 cent parts failing

And best replace them all at once. I just replaced another original one today, broke. However, the last one is hanging in there and as small as they are very painful to get out so I suppose I'll play the waiting game once again. For the most part you won't know they are gone until you unlatch the bag.

Time for new tires, the front is pretty scalloped. PR2's this time I suppose.

On a side note, my K is stock. No air box modifications, no new firmware. I've been broken in by its habits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode