Question with owners overall satisfaction - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 8:24 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question with owners overall satisfaction

I am a new member of the forum and a long time admirer of the BMW motorcycle. I am currently in Okinawa as a civilian contractor and have been planning on buying the KGT after returning to the states at the end of the year.

After reading all of your posts it seems to me there is just a plethora of problems associated with this particular bike. Everything from air-boxes and software updates to rear locking brakes, leaking rear seals, ABS sensor shorts....the list of complaints seem to be long and varied. There also seems to be just as long a list of problems from service centers and BMW themselves in getting the various encountered problems solved.

With a relatively new bike model I understand there will be problems that arise, especially with a bike with all the bells and whistles that BMW is known for. It just seems to me looking from the outside in that there is just an abnormal level of problems people are dealing with, especially with a bike at this price point.

So my question is, after all is said and done, how would you rate your satisfaction with BMW as a whole and the KGT specifically? I would appreciate all of your inputs and look forward to a little positive reinforcement for my future purchase.

Thanks!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 9:03 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombteck
I would appreciate all of your inputs and look forward to a little positive reinforcement for my future purchase.

Thanks!
Chris
Hey Chris, I love mine.

All bikes have problems and the guys that have the most will talk about it on any of the bike forums. Either to relieve frustration, or trying to find a fix. Read the BMWLT forum and it will scare you to death. I bought a Ford 6.0 liter King Ranch and then went to a forum and thought I was gonna shit myself. Never had any problems with the truck.

A small percentage of a bike model will have a problem with even a smaller percentage of that having even multiples.

The guys that don't have a problem will rarely do a "Love my bike" post as often as the guy having a problem.

Life is short. If the bike turns you on, just ride it, ride it often and ride the piss out of it. I think the stupidest thing I ever read was on a Harley forum many years ago. Guy wouldn't ride his bike much because it cost him a lot of money, he wanted it to last a long time and he was afraid of something going wrong with it. I still wanna yak just thinking about it.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 9:14 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, what you said makes alot of sense. I'm looking forward to riding the hell out of it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 9:24 am
Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombteck
After reading all of your posts it seems to me there is just a plethora of problems associated with this particular bike. Everything from air-boxes and software updates to rear locking brakes, leaking rear seals, ABS sensor shorts....the list of complaints seem to be long and varied. There also seems to be just as long a list of problems from service centers and BMW themselves in getting the various encountered problems solved.

With a relatively new bike model I understand there will be problems that arise, especially with a bike with all the bells and whistles that BMW is known for. It just seems to me looking from the outside in that there is just an abnormal level of problems people are dealing with, especially with a bike at this price point.

So my question is, after all is said and done, how would you rate your satisfaction with BMW as a whole and the KGT specifically? I would appreciate all of your inputs and look forward to a little positive reinforcement for my future purchase.

Thanks!
Chris
I for one is very happy with my GT. I even love the seat. However, if I were you I would not rely totally on what these online forums say. First of all, often the reason people do posts on online forums is because they have an issue and would like to fix it, which make it sound like there is only problems. Secondly, I'm not sure that most GT or BMW owners are online so it is hard to know the extent of the problems you mention. The people I've met that own BMW bikes seems in general very happy. I'm on my second GT and wouldn't have traded in for a new one if I was not happy with the first GT. This is my 6th bike in 12 years and for the first time I actually bought the same make and model for the second time. I have (for now at least...) found the bike I've been looking for the last 12 years, the perfect mix of touring and sport that is perfect for my kind of driving. I've never been happier with a bike before.

Just my 2 cents.

GB
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 9:27 am
Noob

I have had mine ( 08 Blue GT ) for a little over a month 1160 miles not one problem the bike runs better in the mountains than in town I work with a guy and he has a vtx and he said they always comlpian about problems with them too.

2008 K1200 GT Blue
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 9:34 am

Grif is right. You always hear about the problems way out of proportion on forums like this. It's the nature of the beast. I have an 06, ordered sight unseen, and have had no serious problems. Sure, the seat is uncomfortable, the clutch groans a little when you start off, etc--but compare that to it's good points. . . and it's hard to wipe the grin off your face.

Don Goldberg
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 9:35 am
Addict

I bought my '06 used almost a year ago. I absolutely love the bike. The past few days, I've been stuck in traffic in 100F weather and have no issues with the bike at all in those temps - no over heating (gauge goes a tick above halfway), no high idle, no heat burning my shins. Yeah, the throttle may be a bit touchy, but I'm learning how to use it.

In the 17K I've put on it so far, it's only been in the shop for the 18K service and the brake pad sensor issue. That's it.

There is one big problem with this bike that we all have: it wants to RUN!!! It is so smooth and so quick, you'll be in triple digits before you know it, so be careful.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 10:14 am
Veteran

Chris,

I have been riding motorcycles for almost 30 years. My 2007 K1200GT is the best motorcycle I have ever ridden. I've had mine for nearly a year, and put 7,000 miles on it.

My bike had the brake pad warning light failure - fixed under warranty, which included new front brake pads (both sides). In addition, the dealer upgraded the software and replaced the airbox at my request. They made the changes without question, under warranty, with no hassles. Even without the upgraded software and airbox, this would have been, by far, the best bike I ever owned. With the changes, it is as close to perfect as a bike could be. The dealer experiences have been great from purchase to service. One time that I was there, they offered to shine my boots while I waited.

This is a smooth, powerful, and highly versatile motorcycle with superb handling and comfort. Sure, it's expensive, but amortized over the many years I plan to be riding it, it's a true bargain. Own one, and you will understand.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 10:30 am
Addict

none is perfect but this one is closest to perfection. at list for bmw i had almost all models, i am at the second kgt. came back after one year of owning the gsa, wonderful bike as well but not like the gt.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 10:33 am
Noob

Chris,

This is my first post on this forum, but somehow your note caused me to want to respond.

I have ridden Harley's all my life until my '08 K12GT. I honestly did not know what I was missing. I never considered anything but a Harley until my son bought his bike, a R1150.

He kept raving about it, but I wouldn't ride it because I just knew it would hurt my knees since the pegs seem to hight and under you.

I just wanted to say to you that I finally took a chance on this bike because of all I have an M3 and it is so much more than I expected, I thought I would give their bike a chance.

All I can say is WOW. What a wonderful machine. I have had it about 5 weeks and have put 1800 miles on it. I ride it every chance I get and my M3 is now sitting in my garage waiting its turn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode