Sidestand Lean - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 8:24 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Sidestand Lean

With a 30+ inseam and the low seat I have plenty of 'leg' to heft up my GT. I even have the TouraTech 'foot' on the sidestand. But I tell ya, even if there's a slight crown (down) when parking there are times I just cannot heft the bike up. I find myself picking (and often changing) a parking spot and 'testing' the lean to ensure I can get the bike 'up'. Cranking the bars 'right' helps a tad.

Why there is so much lean on the GT makes no sense to me. I'm at the point where I'm ready to have find someone to carve a chunk of billet aluminum, about 3/4" thick, and tap the aluminum through the TT 'foot'. Nice if someone already had one for sale.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 10:15 am
Noob

Dissenting voice here. I think the lean is just about right. I actually prefer more, that way I am sure the wind will not blow it over and if there is some angle on the pavement I can be sure it won't go over. My goldwing is the opposite, not enough lean, sometimes when I park it I am concerned about it. IMHO
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 10:48 am

another desenting voice

I parked on a very slanted lot and the K fell over. Just as an aside, the damage was ~$2700. I say more lean is better than falling over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 10:50 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz_drfritz
Dissenting voice here. I think the lean is just about right. I actually prefer more, that way I am sure the wind will not blow it over and if there is some angle on the pavement I can be sure it won't go over. My goldwing is the opposite, not enough lean, sometimes when I park it I am concerned about it. IMHO
My opinion is that BMW has made a mistake. I have an '08 RT, '07 Adv, 07 GT, had an LT and 1150 ADv, lean on all but the GT good, too far over on GT. BTW, here's a tip I posted; if you want more lean you can dial in ESA/Pre-load to 2-up and raise the bike about an inch or so.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 10:52 am Thread Starter
Veteran

That just seems like operator error. You were the one that chose to park the bike at almost vertical, which IMO has nothing to do with the lean angle of the sidestand as built by BMW designed for level ground.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 10:57 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
That just seems like operator error. You were the one that chose to park the bike at almost vertical, which IMO has nothing to do with the lean angle of the sidestand as built by BMW designed for level ground.
I am not sure which post you are replying to. Sure I always have the option of parking somewhere else, the question is how far away and how convenient it is. With a proper (obviously open to discussion)lean on the sidestand one can park the bike in a variety of situations and not have it fall over
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 11:04 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz_drfritz
I am not sure which post you are replying to. Sure I always have the option of parking somewhere else, the question is how far away and how convenient it is. With a proper (obviously open to discussion)lean on the sidestand one can park the bike in a variety of situations and not have it fall over
Let's take the variable 'where to park' out of the equation as that creates more issues than I care to handle.

IMO, the BMW GT sidestand, on perfectly level ground, leans the bike too far over with handlebars cranked either full lock left (usually preferred) or handlebars cocked full right (usually not preferred). With a full tank of gas, no topcase, and minimal use of the side cases, the GT difficult (not impossible) to heft off of sidestand. Decrease the sidestand side of the bike by even 1-inch off of level and it's very, very difficult to heft to vertical.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
My opinion is that BMW has made a mistake.
Humm, I'm a little confused. My GT feels very light off of the stand; very easy to lift when seated on the bike. I'd be very nervous if it stood any more upright. Maybe somethings bent on your stand?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 11:19 am
Noob

I have three other bikes (electraglide, Goldwing, Hayabusa) and I don't find the GT any more difficult to lift off the sidestand than the others. The centerstand is a different issue
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 11:39 am Thread Starter
Veteran

My '07 same as my '06, nothing bent.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode