Sold my 2007 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Sold my 2007 K1200GT

I have not had a bike in 13 years and bought new 07 GT with all the gear, top case, etc. Spent a lot of money and dropped the bike three times in 6 months. Went camping with the BMW group and had lots of fun. Only problem is that it was not as fun to ride as my last bike which was a Harley ridged chopper I build from a basket case I bought. The BMW was uncomfortable after being in the saddle so I had a custom seat made and added bar risers. It still made my elbows soar after riding it for 20 minutes and I just lost the joy of riding (unless I was going 130 MPH or racing up a mountain or riding the twisties).

Long story short, sold the GT and never missed it. I bought a 1978 Triumph Bonneville to have something to ride until I figure out what's the best bike for me. The $4,000 Bonnie is so much fun to ride I think I'm going to keep it for a long time. Saved a boat load of money and I don't have to take it to the BMW dealer for warrantee work every other month. I can work on my own bike and will never drop a bike again.

I know it's a different ride altogether but think the newer BMW's are too much money and not comfortable Triumph for me.

Anyone else find the new GT not a comfortable or desirable as other bikes they owned?

Last edited by kemmons; May 30th, 2008 at 6:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 7:44 pm
KKM

Yes , The seat is not any good for 500 mile days. Rocky Mayer can take care of that. Are you BS us. A Triumph Bonneville as an up grade from an 07 GT. When you let the GT fall over you must have hit your head very hard.

[2003 K1200GT Sold
[2006 KTM525 EXC
[2008 K1200GT
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 8:27 pm
Enthusiast

Kinda like flying the Rare Bear I suppose, hell to taxi, dreadful to takeoff (big radial wants to torque the little plane over), but oh my goodness to fly, must be a real hoot!

The GT has a balance point like .5 degrees either side of straight up, I felt like riding on a small step ladder the first time I rode it, but the ride, WOW!

He is right tho, it costs too much, but I doubt BMW makes much money if any on it.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 9:52 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanson

He is right tho, it costs too much, but I doubt BMW makes much money if any on it.
Rest assured that if BMW wasn't making any money on it they would stop selling it. Reference the R1200ST and K1200R-Sport as examples.

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 12:23 am
Addict

I would love to have a 78 Bonnie in the garage, and a Moto Guzzi and an Ultra Glide and a Ducati.

To try and compare your Bonnie to the GT is just plain silly. I smell bait here but Im always up for it.

Please let us know which software package your Bonnie has that prevents it from falling over, you will probably find it somewhere near the magneto. Im sure I could get a discount on my insurance with it installed.

Enjoy your new ride, and your drip tray.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 1:44 am

Each to his own. I haven't dropped a bike in 20+ years but if you've dropped yours 3 times I think you came to the right conclusion in that it's too much bike for you.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 5:57 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
I would love to have a 78 Bonnie in the garage, and a Moto Guzzi and an Ultra Glide and a Ducati.

To try and compare your Bonnie to the GT is just plain silly. I smell bait here but Im always up for it.

Please let us know which software package your Bonnie has that prevents it from falling over, you will probably find it somewhere near the magneto. Im sure I could get a discount on my insurance with it installed.

Enjoy your new ride, and your drip tray.
He's lucky not to have a software package and as a naked bike like the BSA Rocket I once had, he can fit front and rear chrome 'crash bars'. It can fall over or take a slide with you on it wearing very little riding gear and survive. Bike and me survived a T-Bone with hardly a scratch.

I think I'd miss the sustained high speed freeway cruising most.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 10:19 am
Enthusiast

This sounds more like a bike purchase gone sour. Not very comfortable in the saddle, drop 3 times....that would turn alot of riders off.

But to mention the GT in the same sentence as a (probably hardtail) chopper you built and a '78 Bonnie...c'mon bro'! I'm thinking you were wrong for the GT, the GT wasn't wrong for you!

Mike M
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 11:50 am
Veteran

I have a '76 T140V. While it is a beautiful classic, it's no comparison to my '04KRS. I rode the Bonneville for 500mi. non-stop, thought I would die!! Double that mileage on the KRS and no problem.
Unfortunately, I put a lot of miles on my old Triumph(12,000 per yr.) and it required a lot of maintenance. The KRS only receives normal service.
Did you ever count the places that a Triumph can leak oil??

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 12:50 pm
Addict

same with me with a honda vtx1800, sold it after 1000 miles or so, not my bike. never down though. the bonny was a nice bike. i think they are making it again.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode