Passenger heat circuit for accessories? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2008, 5:48 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Passenger heat circuit for accessories?

I'd like to get some power into the Corbin Smuggler that has replaced my passenger seat, so I can charge my cell phone and iPod. And without the passenger's seat in place I've got these two loose wires just sitting there... would it be unreasonable to use them as an accessory lead for the smugger? I'd just run the wire through a small hole to a couple of cigarette lighter adapters in the trunk, and use standard auto adapters from there.

The passenger heat circuit is electronically "fused" by the canbus system, so I shouldn't need to add a fuse (though I might put a smaller one in, the seat heat breaker is probably set for a larger current than I'd need.)

The only drawback I can think of is that I'd have to remember to flip the switch, and I'd see the passenger heat indicator on the dash.

Anyone know how the low vs high heat setting works? Is the low setting a lower voltage, or does it just switch the seat on and off at regular intervals? (Presumably the high setting is 12v constant on.)

Or is there some other easily accessible accessory power available under the seats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 1:53 pm
Strafist

Be aware that the ZFE will shut down that circuit if it thinks there's too high, low, or weird (to it) electrical stuff going on.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 2:43 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Accessory power under seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Be aware that the ZFE will shut down that circuit if it thinks there's too high, low, or weird (to it) electrical stuff going on.
Yeah, I've heard that. I should just get out my volt meter and experiment.

I read on some other thread that there's actually already an accessory power lead under the seat somewhere, so I could just use that. Anyone with a shop CD willing to post a description of how to find it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 3:19 pm
The Gov

If memory serves, it's also pulsed and not just a solid 12VDC, which is how it deals with the two settings. I'm not sure if high is a 100% duty cycle or not. With all the room down there I wouldn't bother, it's easy to run a wire from the battery under the tank to the tail.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 7:37 pm
Strafist

I'm with Phil, run direct with a fuse.

-=grif=-
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 9:24 pm
The Gov

Quote:
I'm with Phil, run direct with a fuse.
Another big reason with a GPS, is the tracklog. If you use them and track where you were, especially if you go off road (yes, I've done some dirt roads on the GT), it's a PIA to have the GPS shut off at a gas stop or anytime you shut the engine off. Everytime the GPS powers off, even the zumo with a battery, it closes out the track log, so you have to sit in Mapsource and join them all back together again - sucks large on a long trip.

If you are an IB guy, it also screws up the trip calculations, stopped time, average speed yada yada - direct wire is good for the GPS. Everything else, I run switched, but not the GPS.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:09 pm
Strafist

I'm with you on that. A non-switched GPS is the way to go.

I also built a waterproof box for my Valentine. Having it hooked to the accessory wiring left it beeping at gas stations till it shut down. I switched that sucker. Gotta love the Painless Fuse box.

-=grif=-
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:27 pm
The Gov

Quote:
I'm with you on that. A non-switched GPS is the way to go.

I also built a waterproof box for my Valentine. Having it hooked to the accessory wiring left it beeping at gas stations till it shut down. I switched that sucker. Gotta love the Painless Fuse box.
My V1 is on the CANBUS GPS connector. As for waterproof boxes, I'm a cheap "KLR" guy (if you know what that means ) and use those cheap saran wrap elastic banded covers. They fit perfectly around the V1 and have worked through torrential downpours with no problem. Pennytech at it's finest and you can fit a wad of them almost anywhere. I also use it to cover my zumo mount when I'm washing the bike.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 7:49 am
Strafist

Yabut, you have to stop to saran. Used to piss me off to no end on my LT to have to stop and cover the XM and valentine in a frog strangler. I vowed to fix that on this bike.

I started with Aaron's Legal Speeding box for the valentine, but it looked like a shoe box sitting on the shelf. So, I made one with plexiglass and super glue. Rattle canned it black. Works perfect and is cheap. The hockey puck is already waterproof.

Irritates me to no end having to stop when I'm beating feet across the country. The two biggest downfalls are having to get gas and pee. I've pretty much worked out how much water to drink from the platypus in the tank bag to coincide with the gas stop, but it still is frustrating.

Yeah, I know, auxilliary gas tank and catheter. I'm a freak, but not that big a one.

-=grif=-
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 7:57 am
The Gov

I tried one, but had to put it away. Detectors aren't legal in VA, so I had to come up with a stealthy, one handed system for tucking it away. That's why I use a Garmin car mount on the gadget guy thing. Slide the lock back, hold the tab down with my thumb and she's in the tank bag out of sight. The little baggy things work with that. One of these days VA will get a clue.

Not a great pic, but you get the idea.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode