zumo 550 and xm radio draining battery - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2008, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

zumo 550 and xm radio draining battery

Once again I need to tap the collective knowledge of this site. I bought an 07 GT and I had the dealer add an additional fuse box(?) so that the gps turns on and off with the key. It seems as though the addition of the xm antenna and service, radio, traffic and weather is too much for the electrical system. Today I rode 150 miles and stopped for gas. After the stop the bike was a little hard to start and the display gave a red warning with a battery icon for just a few seconds then it went away. After another 120 miles and a stop the bike was even harder to start. The next 70 I rode with the garmin on but the xm antenna disconnected. The bike started fine at the end of the ride. I'm leaving tomorrow morning to ride from MD to the Grand Canyon and back. Any suggestions will help. I've schedule an oil change in Loveland, CO. I'll take my laptop and check your feed back as I go across the country.

Thanks
Wayne

Friday
'07 K 1200 GT Deep Blue Metallic
10 Harley Davidson Stree Glide FLHX
History: '74 Honda CB360, '78 Yamaha XS750SE, '02 K1200RS Pacific Blue

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want to do" - Calvin and Hobbes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2008, 7:46 pm

battery problems

one option could be that when the fuse box was installed, the installer wired your sat connections on the 'always on' side of the block. depending on what kind of fuse block was used, it could be possible that the gps is on switched power, but the sat side is always hot not turning off with the key as it should.
might be something that the dealer can easily correct when he does the oil and filter.
as well, he can hook up a laptop to the bike and download info on the battery and charging system to give a full picture of whats going on.
have a safe trip!

kbikeinbc
07 crystal gray metallic
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2008, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I have them check. I just checked the connections at the battery and BOTH terminals were a bit loose; a half or more turn of the screw driver. The negative side was loose enough that I could wiggle it back and forth.

The bike should be able to power this equipment, right? I've seen others on the site with this and more.

Friday

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want to do" - Calvin and Hobbes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2008, 9:23 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday
Thanks. I have them check. I just checked the connections at the battery and BOTH terminals were a bit loose; a half or more turn of the screw driver. The negative side was loose enough that I could wiggle it back and forth.

The bike should be able to power this equipment, right? I've seen others on the site with this and more.
That is where I was gonna point you. If it is getting weaker while it is running, it is a charging problem. That stuff won't affect you on the move. the connections might just have dont it for you!

I hope so!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:17 am

Battery stuff

Hey Friday...maybe you have the problem licked. Sounds like if the terminals were that loose it could be the problem.
Your right in thinking that the hookup should not be a problem. There is next to no draw on the system with the gps and sat..

kbikeinbc
o7 K1200 Gt
Crystal Grey Metallic
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:57 am
2 heads are better than 1

The bike should have no trouble powering that stuff. I have that and more (Motolights, V1 and J&M Integratr IV) running off my GT with no problems. My guess is they hooked it up incorrectly. an easy way to check - when you turn the key to the off position does the Fumo pop up a warning that it is going to battery mode? If not it's powered all the time even when the key is off.

I see in a later post that the battery terminals were loose. That could be the source of your problem.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:13 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday
I have the same setup wired into the stock canbus. XM, Zumo and BMW heated vest all ran without problems.

Someone else mentioned that you should see a warning when you switch the bike off that the Zumo is going into battery mode. If not its always on and drawing a charge to top off the battery.

Without the Zumo in the cradle the XM antenna doesnt draw any noticeable power (I'm pretty sure someone else checked this on this board or on the zumoforums.com board.)

I hope tightening the battery cable fixed the problem.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 3:23 pm
The Gov

It's not the zumo. I have a zumo with XM that is directly connected to the battery on the GT and running off ZFE switched power on the F800. Never a problem. I was just down in North Carolina for four days on the GT and left the GPS on the bike the entire time, to include overnight in the campground. All I do is shut it off and walk away, GXM-30 and all overnight and it would fire right up the next day. You get the faint display that says it's charging the zumo battery for a bit, once that cuts off, she's done.

Sure sounds like the dealer did something strange with the relay or however they gave you "switched" power.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I, we, are 1700 miles into our trip and currently in Chicago. The GT is still having the problem starting. The longer the ride the harder it is to start. Bob, the owner of Bob's BMW in MD, suggested that I go to Bloodworths BMW in Nashville to have it checked. I did. The battery and charging system checked out fine. We loaded the system with the gerbings vest at full draw, zumo, xm, heated grips and seat. The load was about 19 amps. The bike fired up and the alternator provided enough current to power all this and charge the battery. I'm having the battery replaced today to eliminate it as a suspect. The next culprit will be the starter. I've scheduled an oil change in Loveland, CO. If I'm still have a problem I will have them check further.

All in all I love the GT. It's everything I've ever wanted in a motorcycle. We rode Deals Gap, TN and it handled great. I used the ESA to set it to sport. I was cornering to the point that I got to the edge of the tread meeting the side wall of the tires and never scraped the pegs. The guy behind me thought I was going to scrape the bags I was over so far. Nothing touched the ground. I'm really hoping that I can find and fix this problem because I don't want to have to ride and worry the whole trip. Besides, I really want to be able to listen to some tunes while crossing the mid west.

Thanks again for the interest and feedback. I will keep you posted and let you know what the fix is.

Friday

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 12:09 pm
Veteran

Hopefully all your Gerbing stuff is powered by a Powerlet socket or something that is direct to the battery. When I used only the BMW socket, the CanBus had a headache and never really gave me full power but cycled on and off like a auto-circuit breaker with the Gerbing jacket and gloves.

There have been reports of a faulty battery in these bikes. If you want less headaches, just install a Odyssey PC-680MJ and be done with it. It solved the slow-crank nonsense for me.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode