Tell me why I should by a 2008 K1200GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Tell me why I should by a 2008 K1200GT?

Hi I am new to this site . I have 2 Triumphs now . A 1998 speed triple and a 2000 Sprints RS. I want to be able to do more long distance touring. So I was thinking about trading in my Sprint RS for a New K1200GT. The Honda Goldwing was my only other choice. But that is a way heavy bike. And I only see old fat people on goldwings. I have 3 Dirt bikes as well A 2008 KLX450R and my wife rides a dirt bike as well a Honda CRF150 and my son rides a CRF230. Any help on this matter will be of great help. I researched the hell out out of both bikes. And the K1200GT has won sport touring bike how many years now ?Goldwing dont do sport touring .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 7:35 pm
Strafist

I can do 1,000 mile days on my GT. If you're looking for a couch that's prudy nimble, check out the LT.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 8:17 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkBuster
Hi I am new to this site . I have 2 Triumphs now . A 1998 speed triple and a 2000 Sprints RS. I want to be able to do more long distance touring. So I was thinking about trading in my Sprint RS for a New K1200GT. The Honda Goldwing was my only other choice. But that is a way heavy bike. And I only see old fat people on goldwings. I have 3 Dirt bikes as well A 2008 KLX450R and my wife rides a dirt bike as well a Honda CRF150 and my son rides a CRF230. Any help on this matter will be of great help. I researched the hell out out of both bikes. And the K1200GT has won sport touring bike how many years now ?Goldwing dont do sport touring .
I'm not sure if this is a trolling post or not, but I'll bite.

Because I rode one across the U.S. from Coast to Coast in 44.5 hours and then a little bit later did this:

Try that on any other bike out there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 8:47 pm
Veteran

Quote:
And I only see old fat people on goldwings.
Eureka! I finally figured out why so many of the guys here want to turn their GT's into wings......none of you are old and fat!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 9:00 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Eureka! I finally figured out why so many of the guys here want to turn their GT's into wings......none of you are old and fat!
yea, I resemble that remark... Hell my body is even older than its years! And NObody calls me slim!

I do wonder what he posted about us on a Goldwing board when he posed that question?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 1:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
Because I rode one across the U.S. from Coast to Coast in 44.5 hours and then a little bit later did this:

Try that on any other bike out there...
I can get my Honda ST1100 over further than that - without knee down antics
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 1:33 am
Would rather be riding

Convincication

Quote:
So I was thinking about trading in my Sprint RS for a New K1200GT.
You make the arguments yourself:
1) You are already used to big engines. 152bhp, 96lb/ft, 3.5sec 0-60. 'nuff said.
2) You want to do more long distance touring, but a goldwing (or LT) is too much.
3) You researched the hell out of the bike, and know it wins time and time again.
You don't need convincing... you need permission! Do it, you know you want to.

Read this thread for my thoughts on the GT.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 5:40 am Thread Starter

Yes Yes all good points. and I thank you for your input. The best resource is from the ones who ride them. And that is all of you. I am 43 years old with 3 knee surgeries. 205 lbs. 5'7"And when I turn 50 I get my left Knee replaced . Maybe I can have a hockey puck treaded in.So when I drag it on corners it wont spark? The heated seats are a big plus .And my wifes comfort is an issue .Any input from the female side? That has spent some time on the rear seat? I am gonna keep the speed triple so when I really wanna spit up some pavement I can hop on that. I just cant see me on a gold wing trying to enjoy the blue ridge parkway. When I sat On the K1200GT it just fit right. The tank felt good between my knees. And I could see me carving up the blue ridge on this bike . As far as tunes? MP3 with ear buds is good enough for me. BTW wicked pissa sight. I love the spell checker and will put more miles on that than any of my bikes for sure
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 9:59 am

The GT is a great bike. I ride it almost everyday on the highway and in the city. The adjustable windscreen, heated grips, and ESA make it versatile. The heated seats I don't find all that useful. The wife only complains about not being able to see around me.

A couple of considerations, it is a big bike and some riders under 6' have had trouble geting it off the stands, with the knees make sure you can get a low seat and see how it feels leaning it on one leg or the other.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:17 am
Veteran

Quote:
And my wifes comfort is an issue .
If this is truly a major concern then consider something else. While the GT is capable of 2 up riding, and my wife has a masters degree in passenger miles over the years, it's not a multi day 2 up machine. At least not 4 or 500 mile 2 up machine. A 300 mile day is about the limit for my wife. And I don't do those back to back with her. Myself, no problem double that for weeks at a time. A couple of 2 or 300 mile days 2 up yes, occasionally. 98% of my miles are just me. Many times my wife has pointed out a Goldwing going down the road and mentioned how she'd like "one of those". Um...OK....right after I add the GS to my garage.

Let me re-state something that I've said in the past.

The GT is the Ultimate 1 Up SPORT Touring Machine. Period.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode