Built-in Helmet Hook Under K1200GT Seat - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 6:10 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Built-in Helmet Hook Under K1200GT Seat

The BMW K1200GT user manual that came with the bike describes the small helmet hook under the seat. It also shows a slender steel cable (like a brake cable) with a small metal grommet at the end, looped over the helmet hook, for when the helmet strap is too short to fit over the hook directly. The manual warns the rider to be careful not to scratch the finish on the bike with the cable.

Does anyone actually use the small hook under the seat?
Do you use it with a cable? If so, where did you get the cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 7:53 am

I saw that too. Reading my manual last night since it's storming here and cannon add the the 50 miles on the odo already. Bummer man.

I think the book says that steel cable is an option you have to buy, and I gotta be honest, looks mighty inconvenient. I had an keyed external thingy on my old Honda Sabre I used all the time, why does it have to be so difficult? Personally I won't use it, have to figure something else. Hate to have to pull the seat every time and you just know one of these days I'll rip apart that seat wiring.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 8:02 am
Addict

Take a look at this: http://piratesk12site.net/HelmetlockGT.htm

Much better than that stinking cable!

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 2:15 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Take a look at this: http://piratesk12site.net/HelmetlockGT.htm

Much better than that stinking cable!
I am aware of the great helmet lock on Pirate's Lair, but was curious to know if anyone is actually using the built-in helmet hook under the seat, with or without cable, and what kind of cable they're using.

You can always hook a cable and small lock through one of the grab bars, too.

I was thinking about storing a thin cable under the seat for the rare occasions when I need to store my helmet with the bike, but either the cases are full with other stuff, or I don't have any cases attached.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 2:36 pm
Would rather be riding

Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Does anyone actually use the small hook under the seat?
Do you use it with a cable? If so, where did you get the cable?
I never use the hook under the seat, too hard to get to. But I leave my helmet with the bike all the time, so I got the Pirates Lair lock. For infrequent use it's probably fine. My last bike had a real hook for one helmet, and an under-seat hook for the backup helmet. I actually used that quite a bit for a passenger helmet, and it was even sturdy and well placed enough to allow riding the bike to pick up my passenger with the helmet attached to the hook - the only thing that touched the paint was the fabric underside of the helmet itself.

Now I pretty much always take the topcase when I've got a passenger, for the backrest, so there's plenty of room for helmets and purses and extra sweaters and a bottle of water and some fruit and tissues and a book and extra shoes and a change of clothes and... argh, can we just get going already? ... um .. where was I? Oh yeah, cables.

I'm not sure if it's really that important, but small cables are actually pretty easy to cut. For example thin cables like the ones used for bicycle brakes can be cut with ordinary scissors. If you're going to make your own cable (easy enough to do with stuff from any hardware store) make sure you make one thick enough to resist at least scissors and diagonal cutters.

I know, chin straps are easy to cut too, but I figure a casual thief wouldn't want to ruin the helmet by cutting off the chin strap. ...sure it could be repaired, but not by a casual thief. That's what I tell myself anyway.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 4:26 pm

I use a 3-foot cable (from Aerostitch, I think) and a combination lock. I can run the cable around the chin bar of 2 helmets, and through the arm of my jacket, and attach it to the passenger grab handle. Simple, cheap and reasonably secure.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Addict

I have the cable that I got with the bike (used 2006 last Oct). Totally useless in practical use. Trying to keep the cable through the helmet while reattaching the seats.
Yes there is a a small hook under the seat.

I usually use the side cases for our helmets while on a short ride since we don't bring much with.

I also made my own cables (yes with hardware store parts) and plan on using the side grips and small locks. Temp thing on the occassion we need to leave the bike fully loaded.

And as for getting the straps cut.....whaaaaa? I put the cable through the face opening of a full face helmet.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 7:17 pm
Would rather be riding

Cutting off a helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
And as for getting the straps cut.....whaaaaa? I put the cable through the face opening of a full face helmet.
If you use a cable it makes sense to put it through the face opening. If you use the Pirates Lair hook, or just hook the helmet to the bike directly, the usual thing is to put the hook through the D-rings for the strap. In either case an enterprising thief has something to cut, but if it's the cable that's cut then the helmet isn't damaged.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 8:08 pm

BMW helmet cable

I bought the cable ($7.95) last year and installed it. Works fine for mine+wife when side cases are full. When not in use it is invisible and doesn't get in the way.

Use is a bit kludgey but for the price is just fine. I'd recommend it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 8:38 pm
Addict

I had a 2002 for 36,000 miles and never knew where the hell the helmet lock was. Then some time after I got the 2004 I read about it on this site and have used it some times but I mostly use a cable lock. with the cable lock I can run it though my jacket arm and helmet and leave it all locked on the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode