Tank bags are rear cases - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Tank bag and top cases

I'm looking for a tank bag for my GT and shopping for a deal on a nice case (the one that mounts up to the luggage rack). There seem to be hundreds of versions everywhere. The case would be on only for road trips, the tank bag may ride a bit more. I'd like a tank bag that won't muck up the finsh/paint on the tank, is waterproof and I could put my camera gear in (digital SLR with a second lens).

Any help? Thanks in advance. If there's something you recommend, holla back and tell me why you like it. Ditto if it's something you don't like. Just looking for some help in search - at least I could narrow it down to a manufacture or something.

cheers!

Last edited by grifscoots; Jun 5th, 2008 at 7:16 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 2:25 pm
Rookie

Thumbs up TopCase

Check out the GIVI top cases I bought one for my GT and am very happy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Great, thanks.

Can any moderators tell me why I edited my title twice and it still doesn't show? Typo'd in, should read "Tank bag and top cases"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 2:48 pm
Rookie

Real happy with my BMW K1200GT bag, pricey but nice.

Cycle gadgets is a good place to look and Aerostitch has some nice seat and luggage bags

Raymond
2006 K1200GT
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 3:14 pm
Veteran

Big Mak Stuff

Quite happy with mine. No more scratches, easy to fill up, as water proof as you can get short of wrapping it in plastic, no horn or screen, or gps issues.

And if you're going to need space and travel a lot, the 49 liter top case is the biggest thing going. A bit on the spendy side but what's not with these bikes? A lot of guys go with the Givi stuff too. Good quality but it just doesn't quite match the looks of the bike enough for my taste.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 3:35 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Big Mak Stuff

Quite happy with mine. No more scratches, easy to fill up, as water proof as you can get short of wrapping it in plastic, no horn or screen, or gps issues.

And if you're going to need space and travel a lot, the 49 liter top case is the biggest thing going. A bit on the spendy side but what's not with these bikes? A lot of guys go with the Givi stuff too. Good quality but it just doesn't quite match the looks of the bike enough for my taste.
Quite happy with the BMW case also... And no need to change your luggage rack or keys and it looks better, to me anyway.

I also like the Big Mak! However, currently I use a Bags Connections bag, and I'm quite happy with it also! (Electrics without wires to disconnect.)

Lots of shopping and looking to do now that you bought the $20K "Starter Kit!"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 5:53 pm
Veteran

I have the BMW 49 Liter top case. Most of the time (e.g., daily commutes), I ride with the top case on, and the side cases off.

I like it because:
* It has a huge capacity; it will easily fit 2 helmets, or fit my helmet plus gloves, jacket, pants, and more. It is the only container that can hold the backpack with a 17 inch "laptop" and lots of extras inside, so I use the top case on my daily commute.
* It matches the rack on the K1200GT perfectly. The way it attaches is absolutely solid and firm.
* The handle and lock mechanisms are first class. It operates the same way as the side cases that came with the bike, only better.
* You can have the lock keyed to match the key that fits the bike and side cases, which is very convenient.
* I rarely carry passengers, but the backrest is large and comfortable. It is especially reassuring for those passengers who aren't used to riding.

I hate it because:
* It is big. I don't like the way that it catches the wind.
* It is heavy. Because sits up high and hangs off the back, I don't like what it does to the balance of the bike.
* It destroys the look and lines of the bike. I am a practical person, but even I can see the negative impact that it has on the artistic design of the bike.
* The gray top doesn't match the K1200GT - any color. Someday (soon) I will get it painted to match the bike. It is yet another expense. (I've been told that the silver color was chosen to reflect the heat. If I get it matched to the dark metallic blue of my bike, it'll be much hotter inside.)

Summary:
Even though it is immensely practical, I look forward to the times when I can ride with the top case off. Still, I recommend it highly.

P.S. If you get the 49 Liter Top Case, make sure it comes with the clear plastic protective stickers. Apply them to the rack on the GT to protect the black plastic parts from marring before you attach the top case. They are mentioned in the top case manual (K1200GT only) but nowhere else.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 6:05 pm
Addict

I too have the 49ltr top case.
All that heas been said is right on except if you have a 06 silver GT then the color is spot on.

As for tank bags. I still use my old reliable Eclipse. It straps down with quick release clips. I have the mounting straps and clips always on the bike. The front is wrap around the steering head and the clips stay out of sight in front of the tank. The single rear clip is wrapped around the front seat height adjustment brace. It stays under the seat until needed.

Refueling just unclip the single rear clip and slide th bag aside a bit.

I have heard that the BMW flip-up tray style mount tends to bend down during longer term use and weight of the bag and its contents. No personal experince with this though.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 6:17 pm

I use this bag which is 51 liters and does not sit up too high.
It is water proof by having an inner liner that needs to be securely closed to make it fully water proof. The bottom is hard and nonabrasive. Pretty cool bag overall if you are looking for a non-hard case. I actually purchased it based on Shiva's recommendations over at the http://www.bmwk1200s.com site. ( link to review: http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewt...61e8782045d60d )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	softbag.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	8042  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
I use this bag which is 51 liters and does not sit up too high.
It is water proof by having an inner liner that needs to be securely closed to make it fully water proof. The bottom is hard and nonabrasive. Pretty cool bag overall if you are looking for a non-hard case. I actually purchased it based on Shiva's recommendations over at the http://www.bmwk1200s.com site. ( link to review: http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewt...61e8782045d60d )
Same here. It's a great fit on the GT and holds a lot of stuff. Here's a photo from my recent trip from SF to Seattle. It looks a bit "saggy" but that is the natural shape of the semi-hard bottom and helps it fit securely on the luggage rack. It has great zip-out handles, making it easy to carry like a piece of luggage.

Funny, I have a whole collection of rack bags (from previous bikes) which I bought from Aerostich, Kuryakin, etc. My riding career has been a whole series of failed attempts to find the perfect bag but now I've found it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51L_case.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	8043  

Last edited by cbdane; Jun 4th, 2008 at 11:49 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode