Zumo vs. Zumo?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Zumo vs. Zumo??

Looks like the Zumo is the way to go for GPS. Question - the BMW Zumo 550 is about a grand. Go on eBay and find a regular one (or 450 for that matter) for half that. Sooooo, does it just say BMW on it or what?

Anyone go with a stock 450 or 550? Any troubles? Looks to me to be the way to go. I assume the mount you get from BMW and wire into the accessory wire in the battery compartment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 3:10 pm
Enthusiast

I was told (by the dealer who sold me the unit) that the BMW Zumo has a beefed up LCD, and won't fail with vibration. I haven't confirmed this, except that mine has been trouble free for 1 month.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 3:41 pm
Rookie

I have had the stock 550 for about 5000 miles, absolutely no problem. My understanding is that the BMW branded unit does not support XM radio, which is a deal killer for me. I have a 4GB SD card in mine for music along with the XM receiver/antenna, so my music choices are just about unlimited. I have mounted the Zumo and the XM "puck" on a Big-Mak shelf, which allows operating the Zumo without having to look down like you do with the BMW handlebar mount.

The LCD screen is great, I really doubt that the screen on the BMW unit is any different or that the unit is some how more resistant to vibration.

The 550 is really an entertainment center with a GPS component. Much improved over the Nav III I had on my previous ride (R1200RT).

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 4:01 pm
Enthusiast

I purchased my Zumo 550 about 18 months ago (about 20k miles ago). The unit has been trouble free and the XM radio is a great add-on for about $200 more. Running it through my Nolan N-Com Helmet also allows me to run it with my phone as well!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 4:25 pm
Noob

There are several post on this as you already know. I ended up getting the BMW Zumo because of the mount. However, you can buy the mount separately. And the non BMW version comes with a car mount.

I bought mine at Chicago BMW for 20% off. All three parts cost a total of $808. That doesn't include shipping, which I was told would be less than $10. I don't have it yet because they said it would be a week and a half for them to get it so they could ship it.

I think one good option would be to buy the mount from Chicago BMW and buy the Garmin version for the cheapest price you can find. That way you get the best of both. I don't think the BMW version is different except that it has a logo which you can add, it has the dealer locations in the maps, and it has some unique caps to make it look a little different. It does have traffic module, but it will not work with XM, even if you buy XM separately.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 4:59 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
I was told (by the dealer who sold me the unit) that the BMW Zumo has a beefed up LCD, and won't fail with vibration. I haven't confirmed this, except that mine has been trouble free for 1 month.
Er I would call BS on your dealer. Garmin made this as a motorcycle GPS, why would BMW need to upgrade the LCD? I could be wrong, but the crap that comes out of the salesmans mouth sometimes......

ANyway, I have 10k on the bike and about 20k on the Jeep, all with the Garmin ZUMO. No problems. The car mount that comes with the Garmin Generic has a very nice car mount. I had it all hardwired in place.

Unswitched 12V, XM through the hocky puck, and sound through my stereo. Also could do bluetooth calls from my cell.

One other thing to consider since the XM is not active on the BMW, not clear there are as many firmware updates. Check zumoforums.com.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 5:52 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Er I would call BS on your dealer.

One other thing to consider since the XM is not active on the BMW, not clear there are as many firmware updates. Check zumoforums.com.
BS is probably the right acronym. I also suspect your are correct on updates. Garmin shows none for BMW Zumo, and standard Zumo has one that came out a month ago.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 6:01 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
Looks like the Zumo is the way to go for GPS. Question - the BMW Zumo 550 is about a grand. Go on eBay and find a regular one (or 450 for that matter) for half that. Sooooo, does it just say BMW on it or what?

Anyone go with a stock 450 or 550? Any troubles? Looks to me to be the way to go. I assume the mount you get from BMW and wire into the accessory wire in the battery compartment?
Be careful out there. Some of those $500 Zumo's are grey market. Then you have to buy maps, car mounts, etc. You can find a USA 550 for around $650 plus.
I have been using mine for 3,000 miles with no problems. The screen is not as bright as my old Quest II.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 8:23 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Stock Zumo $650 w/2 mg card and shipping.
use the BMW handlebar mount hard wired power always on.

I am going to change to the BMW connector so it comes on after the bike is running.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 9:13 pm
Veteran

The BMW branded Zumo is an overpriced turd.

1. No XM Radio.
2. No XM Weather.
3. No XM traffic (part of weather).
4. Updates are few - almost like none - compared to the Garmin unit.
5. The dealer list is OLD (i.e. like Fresno, CA dealer is still shown on Blackstone, but they are really over east of the Fresno airport - off by 10 miles or more!). Others are missing. You can find better waypoint lists on the web that are more current and free for the cheaper Zumo.

For all this, you get to pay $400 more for the roundel. Bargain!

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode