How to change the oil while on a trp? suggestions? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 10:03 pm Thread Starter
Addict

How to change the oil while on a trp? suggestions?

On another thread, it was discussed that dealers sometmes don't have the time to cater to riders while on a trip. I would agree that is a problem. But that seems to spark a question- how do you guys do an oil change on the GT while on the road? I have a marine sump-sucker at home that makes it fast, clean and easy, but on the road, that #[email protected]# little tube drain doesn't seem to be adequate for a quick change in a side-lot- I haven't tried it yet....

Any experience or suggestions on a on-trip oil change NOT through a dealer?

Thanks!

B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2008, 8:59 am
Addict

I'm sure others will chime in, but I think it depends on how far you plan on riding and what type of oil you use. I would think that if you changed your oil right before you left (by right before, i mean a day or two so you can ride it and check for leaks or if you need to add a little) and if you used good, quality synthetic oil (I ain't getting into the brands). Synthetic oil will let you go a little longer between changes if you have to.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2008, 9:53 am
Addict

I agree with Doug, change the oil before you leave. I f you have to go more than 6K miles on a trip, call ahead to a dealer and make sure that they can get to it. Even if I wanted to change the oil on the road, I wouldn't be carrying all the "stuff" necessary to do it.

James
Central Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2008, 11:46 am
Telepathetic

I would likely do something along the following line. First off I would need to stop and buy a gallon of bottled water at the grocery so I have something to put the old oil in. Then I would head to a local auto parts store to do the actual work in the parking lot. Buy a cheap funnel and maybe some sort of absorbent material to catch the oil when I swap the filter. Dump or drink the water out of the gallon jug, direct the drain tube into the jug with the help of a funnel if needed. When the jug is full, cap the tube with a ear plug and take the jug into the auto parts store where they will recycle it, finish draining the oil tank. Swap the filters and catch the drippings with purchased absorbent material. Toss the filter and funnel, give the last of the oil to the guys at the parts store to recycle. Finito. Now this isn't as fast as you would be able to do at home, but it would get the job done in about an hour.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2008, 1:00 pm
Addict

Back in the day I had a friend who was not suppose to do mechanical work at his condo. He would get an aluminum disposable turkey roaster fill it part of the way with cat litter, crawl under his car and drain it into that.

Not sure if disposing of cat litter saturated oil is kosher.

Although I do remember seeing a similar disposable pan with some kind of material that would hold up to 5 quarts. BUt again I think that was many years ago, and there may be environemental regs these days that do not allow something like that to be sold.

I think slowflyn has the right idea.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2008, 1:55 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
I would likely do something along the following line. First off I would need to stop and buy a gallon of bottled water at the grocery so I have something to put the old oil in. Then I would head to a local auto parts store to do the actual work in the parking lot. Buy a cheap funnel and maybe some sort of absorbent material to catch the oil when I swap the filter. Dump or drink the water out of the gallon jug, direct the drain tube into the jug with the help of a funnel if needed. When the jug is full, cap the tube with a ear plug and take the jug into the auto parts store where they will recycle it, finish draining the oil tank. Swap the filters and catch the drippings with purchased absorbent material. Toss the filter and funnel, give the last of the oil to the guys at the parts store to recycle. Finito. Now this isn't as fast as you would be able to do at home, but it would get the job done in about an hour.
You forgot about pulling the plug under the engine. I use a piece of aluminum foil to direct the oil off the header when pulling the filter.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode