Do-it-yourself paint jobs aren't cheap! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 12:38 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Do-it-yourself paint jobs aren't cheap!

Had the auto paint shop put me a kit of stuff I need to fix the GT up that I managed to drop. Paint, clear-coat, reducers, catalysts, fillers, and wet-dry sandpapers came to around $250! The paint is PPG DBU-P (1 pint is $79 incl. color-match labor!), 1 quart clear (smallest amount), and the filler is Evercoat (quart was the smallest). Sales guy said auto paint has really gone up since price of oil has climbed. Cripes!

Sort of interesting how they do the match. They did a test spray along with the clear and you are to see if it looks right once they get close and then okay it. Then the "one pint" can is yours for a mere $79 ($15 of that is labor). Plus, you get a bunch of mixing instructions, MSDS, EPA, and CA CARB stuff. Geeze!

I left out the $300 gun, regulator, and drier too (and I got $100 off the Sata MiniJet gun as it was a prior year's model).

If this keeps up, painted body panels will make the GT disposable once it falls over.

No wonder I see a lot of banged-up beater airheads running around.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 3:05 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Had the auto paint shop put me a kit of stuff I need to fix the GT up that I managed to drop. Paint, clear-coat, reducers, catalysts, fillers, and wet-dry sandpapers came to around $250! The paint is PPG DBU-P (1 pint is $79 incl. color-match labor!), 1 quart clear (smallest amount), and the filler is Evercoat (quart was the smallest). Sales guy said auto paint has really gone up since price of oil has climbed. Cripes!

Sort of interesting how they do the match. They did a test spray along with the clear and you are to see if it looks right once they get close and then okay it. Then the "one pint" can is yours for a mere $79 ($15 of that is labor). Plus, you get a bunch of mixing instructions, MSDS, EPA, and CA CARB stuff. Geeze!

I left out the $300 gun, regulator, and drier too (and I got $100 off the Sata MiniJet gun as it was a prior year's model).

If this keeps up, painted body panels will make the GT disposable once it falls over.

No wonder I see a lot of banged-up beater airheads running around.

Mack
....Great little hobby to get into.....never know....you could get some small jobs your way.....dont forget dust control...and maybe some lamps....good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 9:28 am
Strafist

I used to buy clapped out Harleys, rebuild them and sell them. Even built a couple from the ground up. Painting was part of the process. When I was young, I owned a company that refinished countertops, bathtubs, sinks.... if you could shoot a bathtub, you can shoot a bike.

Wear a GOOD respirator and cover ALL your skin. I mean it. Some nasty shit in that paint and I woke up in the emergency room a few times because I didn't respect it.

I sold the refinishing business as the last time I woke up in the emergency room the doc told me the next time I'd be waking up in the morgue.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 1:26 pm

great guy

I had my panels fixed in MEZZA ARIZONA buy this great kid there, since I am from CANADA and I and leave the bike down there in the winter, he had lots of time to take care of my mess, last time he did side panel, left side luggage and the front piece that holds the front head light ,what erver thats called. took the bike apart and put it back together real resonable, did a great job. matched the colour 99% only if you what to nick pick you may or may not see where it has been touched up, so if your one of those people that are never happy any way, please disregard this post, any one interested for his # send me a message and I will be more then happy to get it to you, Oh buy the way I ended up leaning my bike the other day so will be calling him to schedule me in SEPT, mind you it's only the left case. I'm am sure if you send him the parts to paint it would be less money also; good luck to all
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 2:05 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I used to buy clapped out Harleys, rebuild them and sell them. Even built a couple from the ground up. Painting was part of the process. When I was young, I owned a company that refinished countertops, bathtubs, sinks.... if you could shoot a bathtub, you can shoot a bike.

Wear a GOOD respirator and cover ALL your skin. I mean it. Some nasty shit in that paint and I woke up in the emergency room a few times because I didn't respect it.

I sold the refinishing business as the last time I woke up in the emergency room the doc told me the next time I'd be waking up in the morgue.
Glad you mentioned the respirator. Don't, just to emphasize grifscoots point, did I say don't, paint, primer, clear coat or not, or sand (well use a particulate mask for sanding) without a good respirator.

John
2006 K1200S "Bumble Bee" Leo Vince Evo2 Ti can, Pazzo shorty's black/gold, Rizoma rearsets, grip puppies, MRA Vario screen, Sandbar Composites "dog bones", RhinoMoto ft axle, barend, swing arm sliders, GSG body sliders, snorkles out, Corbin w/pillion back rest, chrome reverse muffler bearings, hone extruded hyper dirve,
If you can't run with the big dogs.... stay on the porch.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 2:09 pm
Veteran

and vent you compressor to outside air ......
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 2:28 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
and vent you compressor to outside air ......
Excellent point.

John
2006 K1200S "Bumble Bee" Leo Vince Evo2 Ti can, Pazzo shorty's black/gold, Rizoma rearsets, grip puppies, MRA Vario screen, Sandbar Composites "dog bones", RhinoMoto ft axle, barend, swing arm sliders, GSG body sliders, snorkles out, Corbin w/pillion back rest, chrome reverse muffler bearings, hone extruded hyper dirve,
If you can't run with the big dogs.... stay on the porch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode