Finding good rides, Rand McNally? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

Finding good rides, Rand McNally?

Does anyone have any experience with Rand McNally's motorcycle maps? I know it was in partnership with Harley but the blog reports seems to like it. Rand McNally maps

Since I'm just getting back into riding and have never toured before, plus my wife and I keep moving, I don't know the local or regional places to go. This looks pretty cool.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 6:49 pm
Would rather be riding

Joke here somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
I know it was in partnership with Harley...
There's a good Harley joke here somewhere, but I just can't seem to nail it... roads without curves? that go by bars? that go to Harley dealers? with no mud or dirt?

Anyway, I'll just play it straight. I have no experience with these Atlases. I usually plan rides with the Garmin software, though lately I've been using Google Maps more frequently.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 12:52 am
IBR# 366

I think you should just ride all their suggested routes then get back to us with a report. Don't forget the pics.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I think you should just ride all their suggested routes then get back to us with a report. Don't forget the pics.

I like the sound of that.

Hey Grif - how do you plan ride with google maps? Just look for the twisty roads? Keep in mind that in my case, I am a total stranger to the lay of the land. How do you create a route in the GPS? My wife has a Garmin in her car but it seems like it'd be a pain to create dozens of waypoints (can you even do this?).

Maybe the Harley rides are trailer friendly? Don't want your shiney hog getting thrown around that trailer you're towing behind your Escalade!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 8:45 am
Strafist

Quote:
Hey Grif - how do you plan ride with google maps?
I will usually use Streets and Trips to plan a ride. Then I take the GPS and use the Find function for my points. Then I build my route.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Groovy.

I think I'm going to get that book. It's billed as good motorcycles rides, they just paired up with Harley in name only I guess. Worth a look I guess. As I dig into the book I'll report back. Maybe some folks about run a couple maps I can't get to and report back, I'll email some maps or something. Maybe I'll just scan the whole thing and put it on my website, you know..for my own personal use. Just so happens everyone else has the web address.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:17 am
Would rather be riding

Google Maps vs Garmin

Quote:
how do you plan ride with google maps? Just look for the twisty roads?
I like the way Google Maps lets you switch between the plain map, the satellite/aerial view, and the new topo maps. So when browsing around for twisty roads, it's much better than the Garmin software. It's also much easier to do routing with Google maps. Pick a start and end point (just enter an intersection in the Get Directions boxes for example), and then when it gives you a route you can just drag the route to follow the roads you want to go on.

Once I've got an idea of more or less where I want to go, I switch over to the Garmin software. Garmin makes it pretty easy to create a route if you know where you want to go, once the routing tool is selected you can just click and add each new waypoint, then sync it right into the GPS. The Garmin software also makes it easier to browse for restaurants or gas stations, because you can just have them shown on the map along with your route. With google you have to do a specific search and this can lose your route.

So, Google for browsing because of the easy routing tools and great photo/topo features, and Garmin for planning for the GPS sync and finding stuff along the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode