Power loss due to software update? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 7:12 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Exclamation Power loss due to software update?

Anyone noticed a remarkable decrease in fuel consumption (10 - 15 %) after the latest software update? If so, did you also notice a loss of power?

Some GT riders at this side of the pond noticed that the top speed is now around 220 km/h where it previously was 250+ km/h. Apparently rideability on curvy roads (for example hairpins in the mountains) has improved and the bike accelerates better in lower revs.

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 9:54 am
I'm riding

I have contrary impression - fuel consumption increased. Acceleration at high speed is not so brisk or sharp as before. Max speed - not sure, did 234 km/h as per GPS during latest ride with large top case and "silver sausage" BMW bag but that was not the deadend - just the roads here do not allow more. But low revs ridebility definitely changed for better.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 6:50 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

A friend of mine has a 08 GT with the latest software and v3 airbox. On a recent trip abroad he took it over 200 km/h. At around 190 km/h he felt less power to be available and beyond that it felt as if the engine got smothered. At 220 km/h it was over.

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 8:36 pm

The software is fuel injection mapping only right? Has anybody had it dynoed before and after?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 1:50 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
A friend of mine has a 08 GT with the latest software and v3 airbox. On a recent trip abroad he took it over 200 km/h. At around 190 km/h he felt less power to be available and beyond that it felt as if the engine got smothered. At 220 km/h it was over.
That's strange. I have the same latest software and v3 airbox. Did your friend ride with top case and side cases as well? Solo or two-up? One thing is obvious for me - take off from 160+km/h is not the same now as it was with the factory pre-installed software.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 10:22 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Anyone noticed a remarkable decrease in fuel consumption (10 - 15 %) after the latest software update? If so, did you also notice a loss of power?
What is the latest software, by number?

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 10:45 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
What is the latest software, by number?
v11.1 (if no newer version has been released lately).

Grtz,
Erwin

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:58 pm

Some time ago, I had read that in several countries, Germany for one, the power of the bike was reduced. The reduction factor seemed to reflect the reduction the traction control option yields. Namely 100 HP. Implemented probably by a simple software shunt.

Any other comments?

Rusty

Quote:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 2:45 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

In France, Belgium and Germany you can order your GT with 100 BHP for tax or insurance reasons. In the Netherlands we don't have this option (because there are no tax or insurance restrictions). The GT in question is a full power bike (the owner is a power junkie)

And yes, it's a software thing, that restriction.

Grtz,
Erwin

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 7:49 pm
Rookie

I know I'm here in the US but I did have mine dyno'd, friend at work does it on the side, and with pre vs. 10 it was 140 hp and 93 ft lbs at the wheel. Latter on this year I will have it checked again but in all honesty it feels stronger everywhere. I have only run it to about 140 mph according to the gps but I was running out of road, it's amazing how fast it will eat up roads

Jim

07 KGT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode