EWS antenna ring failure recall - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

EWS antenna ring failure recall

Been reading this forum for a while as I'm considering getting myself a 1200GT. Currently riding a DL1000 V-Strom.

I've been stranded in Destruction Bay, north Canada, with a group of R1200GS/ADV riders since Saturday, two of whom have the EWS failure and the bikes are going nowhere.

We have a few antenna rings being shipped up to us and we're hoping to be on the way in a few days. If we can't replace them ourselves, we'll be going to the nearest uhaul to get the bikes out of here.

Anyway, we rang BMW Ireland (where two of us are from) and it seems there's a recall in Ireland for all the 2007 bikes with the dodgy antenna rings. I can't confirm for sure, but that particular dealer has recalled 170 bikes to have the antenna ring replaced.

Thought some of you would be interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 4:53 pm
Enthusiast

Very interesting, if true. I called my service manager a few days ago for advice on the EWS issue. The good news is that because BMW is well aware of this problem, service managers are supposed to keep the new rings in stock and are authorized to immediately replace the rings. The bad news is that, because most bikes don't have this problem, it's not a recall and they have to verify failure. Tough luck if failure occurs 250 miles from the nearest Dealer. Seeing that this is becoming more and more of an issue, I hope BMW issues a recall or sends out a technical bulletin authorizing warranty replacement regardless of actual failure.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 7:40 pm
Veteran

In Canada, it is also an official recall. They don't currently have the part, so I'm waiting at the moment.

I called the Tech Services Manager for BMW Motorrad Canada and he suggested not actually replacing the ring, but carrying it as a spare. But he also knows the build date of my bike and apparently certain builds are more susceptible to this problem than others. He also knows I'm more than a little paranoid about techs messing with my bike and apparently this is one ugly procedure which includes drilling out blind-end bolts that are a part of the ignition and retapping the holes for new bolts to reassemble the ignition switch. Not the kind of procedure I'm too keen on having the local techs perform. Especially for the "first time". I still haven't had my brakes bled for the same reason.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 7:50 pm
Strafist

First you pull the handlebars, then the bridge. Then you drill out some bits they call bolts. No retapping necessary. Pretty straight up and a home project once you have the ring and the so called bolts.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 7:58 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
First you pull the handlebars, then the bridge. Then you drill out some bits they call bolts. No retapping necessary. Pretty straight up and a home project once you have the ring and the so called bolts.
Grif,

What I would like to see is a way of wiring in a switch under the seat to bypass the immobiliser in an emergency. How about working out how to do this so that those of us in remote areas can do something proactive to prevent us from being stranded in the middle of nowhere? I am sure BMW wouldn't be interested in such a bush remedy though.

Anyone worked out how to do this?

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 9:08 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD
Grif,

What I would like to see is a way of wiring in a switch under the seat to bypass the immobiliser in an emergency. How about working out how to do this so that those of us in remote areas can do something proactive to prevent us from being stranded in the middle of nowhere? I am sure BMW wouldn't be interested in such a bush remedy though.

Anyone worked out how to do this?
This is what I do: carry a spare key and ring. If you get an EWS unplug from the antennae and plug it into your spare antennae. Hold your spare key in the hole of the spare antennae ring and start the bike like usual. Go home and fix it after completing your ride.

Murphy's Law of biking almost assures you'll never need it if you carry it..... but it can't hurt. You may save a stranded bud.

-=grif=-
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 9:51 pm

Giff, how do you "unplug from the antenna?? Is there a connector you can get to without disassembling the bike?

Rusty[

QUOTE=grifscoots]This is what I do: carry a spare key and ring. If you get an EWS unplug from the antennae and plug it into your spare antennae. Hold your spare key in the hole of the spare antennae ring and start the bike like usual. Go home and fix it after completing your ride.

Murphy's Law of biking almost assures you'll never need it if you carry it..... but it can't hurt. You may save a stranded bud.[/QUOTE]
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

yeah, looks like we are going to try both these solutions.

BMW Vancouver had 25 antennas in stock. We are having 3 of them shipped to Whitehorse. So they possibly have 22 in stock.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 10:16 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAPTRAPPER
Giff, how do you "unplug from the antenna?? Is there a connector you can get to without disassembling the bike?

Rusty
Look under the ignition switch at the front. You'll see the plug. There are only two plugs in the ignition assembly, one going to the ignition switch and one to the antennae. You can't miss it as you really can't see the ignition wiring with taking the handlebar/bridge assembly apart.

-=grif=-
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 2:01 am
Noob

EWS failure option

Ok, You guys have me worried now. planning big trip to Idaho with Dealerships few and far between. If I wanted a spare antenna ring and key what's the dealer gonna soak me for a little preventative against EWS failure? Any feed back?

Johngvca

Current Rides:
12 K1600GT
12 F800GS Trophy
04 R1150R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode