Giving Up On The GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Giving Up On The GT

I recently rode from Idaho to Seatlle and back for a week long training module. I had ordered the newest version of the GT's seats and decided to try the "low" seat option. Altho comfortable for about an hour, longer than that and I hurt!
I am embarrased about the amount of money I put into the GT to make the ergo's work, and sad to say gent's, I've decided to give up the GT. My 51 yr. old body just can't seem to get comfortable no matter what I tried.

I made the call today, and am working a deal to trade into a 2009 LT, I test drove one, and yes it is heavier ect., but it just fits! I really wanted to make the GT work, but you know what they say, wish in one hand and ......................................

Guess I'll have to change my handle. Been a pleasure here with y'all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 8:35 pm
Lieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdavey
I recently rode from Idaho to Seatlle and back for a week long training module. I had ordered the newest version of the GT's seats and decided to try the "low" seat option. Altho comfortable for about an hour, longer than that and I hurt!
I am embarrased about the amount of money I put into the GT to make the ergo's work, and sad to say gent's, I've decided to give up the GT. My 51 yr. old body just can't seem to get comfortable no matter what I tried.

I made the call today, and am working a deal to trade into a 2009 LT, I test drove one, and yes it is heavier ect., but it just fits! I really wanted to make the GT work, but you know what they say, wish in one hand and ......................................

Guess I'll have to change my handle. Been a pleasure here with y'all.
Everyone has a bike that fits them better than others. Good luck with your LT!

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 8:45 pm

Red face Sorry to hear that

Yeah, the GT's the seating position is not for everybody... Took me a while to get used to the MYRP, coming from the GS. Now, I wouldn't trade back.

Hope you'll enjoy the LT!

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 9:03 pm
Strafist

The LT is a fine bike. I put 108,000 miles on one. Strangely enough, I became extremely painful to ride after I busted out some ribs. The forward ergos on the GT cured that. The wife quitting riding didn't hurt swapping to the GT, either.

See you on www.bmwlt.com! But, don't make yourself a stranger here, either.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The LT is a fine bike. I put 108,000 miles on one. Strangely enough, I became extremely painful to ride after I busted out some ribs. The forward ergos on the GT cured that. The wife quitting riding didn't hurt swapping to the GT, either.

See you on www.bmwlt.com! But, don't make yourself a stranger here, either.
Well,
It sure seems the LT has some issues.
My GT has been pretty near flawless @ 11,000 mi.
I'm beginning to rethink this.
Any input?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:01 pm
Strafist

The LT, like any other bike, has issues. Fix them on ride on if the bike floats your boat. I loved mine while I had, but the GT blows it away in every aspect, MNSHO.

If you can wait till the 2010 models come out, the LT will be revamped.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:13 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well,
Any input?
I switched from LT to GT, and am very happy, problems notwithstanding. The seat (and my butt) took about 10k miles to break in, and is now comfortable enough for my 61 year old body.

LT is a fine bike. What drove me away from it is the way I ride - not a lot of long rides, mostly 30 mile round trip commutes, a few 200+ mile rides. LT was just too heavy for my commute routine, which included a fair bit of city riding. GT is a lot more fun, too, but seat breaking in was the key.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:45 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Well,
Any input?
If its only the seat that is causing the discomfort, have you considered a Corbin or Rick Mayer as an option? I gave the stock seat on my '08 GT about 1000 miles before I determined that it was too soft and generated hot spots after just a couple hundred miles (which seems typical for BMW seats - my RT was the same).

So I bit the bullet and bought the Corbin heated seats. They are firm and provide even pressure across the seat. They take about 1000 miles to break in, but after that, no problems. I highly recommend them. The seat heaters plug in to the OEM wiring and are switched just like the stock seats.

I also added barbacks from Suburban Machinery and am riding in comfort now - no more pain between the shoulder blades or in the back.

Good luck with it if you keep it.

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:52 pm

What a pity, my GT fits me perfectly, then again I might not like your wife and you won't like mine, each to his own. No offense.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

I tried a set of mayers, still sliding forward, my "boys" were not happy being that intimate with the tank!
Next up, a long painfull ride to Russell, and altho they did a supreme job, I was now sitting on top of my GT, not in it, and the boys were still sliding forward at times.(especially while braking)
Then I ordered the new style low seat, while that took care of the sliding issue, but my knees and thighs said get us off now. I thought about lowering the pegs, ect. ect. Where do you stop.?

Grif, I know how advanced the GT is, thats why I bought it. I have never been on a ride so powerful. Trouble is, after an hour or so I am looking for a place to rest for awhile, all that technology (and well done at that in my opinion), and my body says, hey bud are you listeneing to us?
I thought about waiting for the new LT with the new six cylinder motor and all, but from what I hear it is only going to be a hundred pounds lighter, with an increase in HP and torque. The current LT has plenty of both for me. Call me simple.

Lastly, I have a loving wife who loves to ride with me, and after several attemps on the GT she flat stated her head felt like it was a ragdoll from all the buffeting. Even after trying a couple different shields. She told me she wasn't getting back on the GT. Idaho is too pretty of a state to see by myself without her.

From what I am being told (sold) the 2009 LT has been refined and is at the top of its engineering curve with alot of hte earlier issues resolved. Reliabilty is a priority for me and I.ve been told the FD failures were from overloading the LT in most cases?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode