Head Lamp Life - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Thumbs down Head Lamp Life

Installed the Kisan Tail Blazer bulbs last week on my 2007 K1200 GT, and got all the funny little indicators, which I was willing to live with. On Monday the headlamp started cycling on and off and now is off totally. Didn't get the bulb out, but it looks dark (burnt). The bike goes in for the 6000 service Friday.

Question: How long does the head lamp last? I can't remember last time I replaced one in one of the cars.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTbone
Installed the Kisan Tail Blazer bulbs last week on my 2007 K1200 GT, and got all the funny little indicators, which I was willing to live with. On Monday the headlamp started cycling on and off and now is off totally. Didn't get the bulb out, but it looks dark (burnt). The bike goes in for the 6000 service Friday.

Question: How long does the head lamp last? I can't remember last time I replaced one in one of the cars.

What kind of "funny little indicators?" My Kissan bulbs are sitting at the house, waiting for install, but I'm not sure if I'll like a bunch of funny things going on. Waz up?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:32 am Thread Starter

The triangle warning light lights, the bulb out indicator flashed.

From Pirate's web site "
CanBus Compatibility: I know what you are wondering. Are these problem free with the foofoo complicated CanBus systems the Germans stuck us with? Well for the most part..Yes. The Only thing that COULD happen (or so Kisan tells us) is that on a very small percentage of bikes.. perhaps 2%...the bulb out lamp MAY pulse with the stop mode. Once it has stopped pulsing, the warning stops or the TRIANGLE warning light may flash until brakes are released. Is there any way to tell which bikes will have the flashing issues? No.. Does Kisan have any idea why only a few bikes have the problem?.. No.. Will Kisan or Pirates Lair refund your $$ if you are one of the lucky few to see the issue? No.. In our opinion.. it's something that's easy to live with considering your bike will be 100% safer"

I can't live without the headlamp, maybe coincidence that it went within a week of install.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:40 am

Thanks for the quick reply and the info. I'd be freakin' out if I saw that happen when I put them in. Glad to know it's a small %% that's affected. I'll post my results when I get them installed.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:59 am
Strafist

What's happening is the ZFE is realizing some kind of electrical anomaly and freaking out. I'd pull the Kisan, write it off, replace your headlamp (which prolly burnt because of said anomaly) and get you some P3 tailights.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:03 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTbone
I have had issue with the rate at which my bulbs burn out. In less than 2 years I went through 3 or 4! I'm to the point where I always carry a spare bulb. I've never had a vehicle that went through bulbs like this one. At least they are easy to change. Although it is odd you don't get the headlamp warning, it can happen. Just change the dark one and see if that fixes it.

The point I'm trying to make is it is probably a coincidence. In my experience, the lights go out more on these bikes than most others.

Let us know if there are issues again.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:29 pm
Strafist

Come to think of it, I rode mine straight home from the dealer, stripped it down and added all my farkles.... which included an HID. So, I don't know what I'm talking about and....

...in my best Emily LaTilla: "Never mind".

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:59 pm

I have HID in mine, no problem yet
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 3:05 pm
Addict

I'm on my 3rd low beam bulb in less than a year. The original lasted until about 2 months ago. That replacement went out last week. Each time I got the triangle of doom displayed on my dash.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Veteran

My K1200GT is one year old, and I haven't had any burned out bulbs yet. I ride two 15 mile commutes per day with a few longer trips here and there. I imagine that the frequent on/off cycles put more stress on the bulbs.

The BMW HID bulb doesn't have a filament, and should last a long time. I often ride with my high beams on during the day. The high beam is not HID, of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode