Neck & Back Pain - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 2:15 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Neck & Back Pain

How do I get rid of the pain in my upper back? If I can't find a way I may end up on a Wing or Harley. When I ride for more than 45 minutes, which is most times I ride, I get a pain at the base of my neck at the top of my back. If I relax and drop my elbows it seems to help, but I'm always raising my shoulders to firm up my arms to brake. I had this problem on my RT and now for 16k on my GT, bars up or down doesn't seem to matter. I bought gripster tank pads and use my knees to take some pressure off my arms but it doesn't help. I have long arms, 37 inch sleeves, so it's not the reach to the bars.

I recently did 2600 miles in the Smoky Mountains over nine days and had to take ibuprofen twice a day in order to ride. Does any one else have what I affectionately call 'a BMW spot'? Any suggestions for how to get rid of it?

I rented a Wing for a week, about 1800 miles, and have rented a Road King twice for about 500 miles and never had an issue.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 2:23 pm
Would rather be riding

Lower back pain for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
Does any one else have what I affectionately call 'a BMW spot'? Any suggestions for how to get rid of it?
I don't have that BMW spot. The only aches I get from riding are in my lower back, but I get that frequently from other things too. I don't take a lot of breaks, and often ride for an hour or two without stopping, but I do move around on the bike from time to time, e.g. ride one handed and sit up more, move my arms around and behind me to stretch, take my feet off the pegs to stretch my legs, or stand on the pegs.

Over time I've noticed that the more I do sit ups and crunches and other abdominal exercises the less my back hurts...

[Note: I have a corbin seat, but only for about a month and the only pain it seems to have changed is butt pain.]

Last edited by bonafidebob; Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:37 pm.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Enthusiast

Those backaches

Quote:
When I ride for more than 45 minutes, which is most times I ride, I get a pain at the base of my neck at the top of my back. ... and had to take ibuprofen twice a day in order to ride.
I have the same problem 'cept I require more Ibuprofen... Installed barbacks but without any improvement. I've begun to believe it's related to the slightly awkward BMW seating position compared to that on a Wing or Harley. Never had it on the Harley's I owned, including a XLCH, FLXR and FLHTC (small, medium and large frame). When I sit completely upright on my 2006 GT the web between my thumb and first finger is still about 3/4" shy of the grips.

By 'awkard' I mean too that the GT rider's feet are fairly high (thus bending the spine a little) and he is leaned just forward enough (whether barback equipped or not) to have to tilt his head back to see forward when wearing a full-face helmet. I think the strain of that tilt, slight as it is, is soon aggravated by the weight of the helmet bouncing up and down and quickly tiring the neck muscles. I installed a Russell seat hoping for improvement (though it's even higher). Now my butt holds up fine, but my upper backache is unchanged.

Now that I've written this, I believe I'm going to first compare the height of the vision opening between open and full face and if it looks better then switch back to my old (and much lighter) open-face helmet. A ride like that might show improvement. I arrived at the recent K-Bike Rally in Snowshoe, WV in real pain after a 520 mile day to get there. On the Harley's I could (and did) do half-again that distance many times without a sweat.

Last edited by K_Biker_Bill; Jun 11th, 2008 at 5:18 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 3:25 pm
Rookie

I had that pain initially, but barbacks and a Corbin seat made it all better. I found that the soft BMW OEM seat was not providing firm enough support which was radiating into the middle and upper back.

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Unhappy Been there...got that.

I've got it too. The back pain has been on ALL my BMW's. '02 LT with both stock and Corbin seat. '05 RT with stock seat and bar backs/risers. '06 Kawi Vulcan Nomad w/stock seat. '06 RT with backs/risers, stock seat and Corbin seat. Now with '07 GT and stock seat. The best setup was on the '06 RT with the barbacks/risers, pegs lowered, and Corbin seat. Did a couple 500 mile days with less discomfort.
Had an '06 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad and had to put a Mustang seat with backrest on it and was perfectly comfortable. Now, I HAD to get BACK to BMW so sold the Nomad.
I have pretty much chalked up the back problems to 1. Age, 2. Chronic bad back, 3. Tendency to "slouch". I HAVE to have a substantial backrest to ease the back pain. By substantial I mean STRONG enough for me to put some of my weight back into. I'm 57, 6'4" and 265. The Corbin backrest on my '02 LT did not fit the bill. The Mustang on the Nomad was the ticket.
Guess I'll just go as long as I can with the GT and then retire(again) to the LT or a...damn I hate to say this...Gold Wing.

Bill
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 5:13 pm

Quote:
If I can't find a way I may end up on a Wing or Harley. .
Have you tried an LT? VERY nice. You shouldn't have any problems on that machine.

07 K1200GT

You can't have everything! Where would you put it?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2008, 12:41 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
neck & back pain

It is quite relative and depends on the previous bike you have been use to riding. It takes a lot of tweaking to get the GT closer to an LT or GW ride. Bar backs, new seat, lower pegs, bigger windscreen etc. It will never be as comfortable as those bikes, sometimes what the mind wants (152 hp, etc.) just doesn't meet the bodies comfort needs. Throughout this site there are lots of things people have done to get that LT type ride.
Sometimes it takes ergonomic changes to how you sit on the bike, don't slouch, don't stiff arm to hold yourself up, and a real surprise, the more you hydrate, the more comfortable you are. (Could be because of the extra "rest stops" to dehydrate)

Those of us coming from a "naked bike" or a 'crouch rocket" think these things are the absolutly a comfortable ride with out the extra heft of the GW, LT, Roadking etc. and we don't need to see the Chiropractor every week anymore.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Quote:
How do I get rid of the pain in my upper back? If I can't find a way I may end up on a Wing or Harley. When I ride for more than 45 minutes, which is most times I ride, I get a pain at the base of my neck at the top of my back. If I relax and drop my elbows it seems to help, but I'm always raising my shoulders to firm up my arms to brake. I had this problem on my RT and now for 16k on my GT, bars up or down doesn't seem to matter. I bought gripster tank pads and use my knees to take some pressure off my arms but it doesn't help. I have long arms, 37 inch sleeves, so it's not the reach to the bars.

I recently did 2600 miles in the Smoky Mountains over nine days and had to take ibuprofen twice a day in order to ride. Does any one else have what I affectionately call 'a BMW spot'? Any suggestions for how to get rid of it?

I rented a Wing for a week, about 1800 miles, and have rented a Road King twice for about 500 miles and never had an issue.
Have you tried asking an orthopedist or chiropractor. Sounds to me its about how you tense up when you ride. relax your shoulders and drop you head some. Work on strengthening neck muscles (put on your helmet and do bridges!!!). Ask a doctor.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2008, 1:52 pm

Worth a try...

As I responded earlier. You might want to try this...

Earlier Post

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2008, 6:22 pm

I am job security for my chiropractor, and man was I crooked two years ago. Much straighter now, with a lot less pain and quicker recovery than before. 300 miles today and my back and neck are good. Gotta get into shape though, I just bought this thing and can't believe I rode 300 miles. I used to do that in a month, not a day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode