6,500 mile trip - halfway over - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 9:50 pm Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

6,500 mile trip - halfway over

I'm on my "Big Trip" - the one we all plan, and some of us go on.

My biggie is 7,000 miles over 32 days. I left Dallas 8 days and 2,100 miles ago and my route takes me on a big lasso of the west (Grand Canyon and Zion National Park last week, Idaho this week, Portland and Glacier National Park next week). Tonight, I've finally found a place with decent enough internet access to get online and look at por...er, post a bit about things thus far.

I won't get all reflective just yet, but wanted to share a few impressions data wise from the road while I'm thinking about it.

o This my first long trip since the airbox/software update. The bike is perfect. Flawless. Fantastico. I kiss her at the end of each day's ride when nobody is looking. No more high idle. No more bucking. Finally, I have the GT I paid for nearly 2 years ago.

o My MPG is averaging 44.3. I like 83mph on the straight and boring, and as fast as I'm able to in the twisty stuff. So far, I've had to endure just 300 Interstate miles in over 2,000 miles total. This is by decision, and so far it's working out nicely.

o I threw on a set of Avon Storms before the trip and they are GREAT tires. I am 99% certain that the low speed awkwardness I had before was due to the stock Bridgestones after they cupped (and by awkward, I mean nearly dropping or actually doing so when negotiating tight, slow speed turns). The Storms have eliminated that and I find myself flipping u-turns fully loaded (sides cases + biggie top case packed full) that I would usually only attempt on the Gixxer.

o I have a tumor in my neck. It is MASSIVE. Thankfully, it goes away when I get off the bike, but returns the next day. I'm averaging 500 mile days, with a few explore the park type days thrown in every few days...but when I have back to back 500 mile days, THE SPOT appears. And it is PAINFUL. I'm taking Advil by the bucket-load during the day, and heavier stuff at night. What confounds me is that I cannot figure out WHY. I'm in good shape...and I can say that after the training I've been doing for the past year precisely for this trip. So I'm comfortable in ruling out my conditioning. I have a Sargent seat which fixed all my uncomfy butt issues. I've tried the bars fully down, and fully up...with no real change. THE SPOT, on me, is a half inch to the right of my spine, just where my neck blends into my shoulder. The only reason I can figure that it's only the right side is because of the throttle grip. The GT has a longish throttle travel, but I'm nearly depressed by this pain. I can ride 700+ mile days back to back, except for this pain!

1. Will the peg lowering kit help?
2. Bar risers? If I'm honest, the pain seems worse the higher I set the stockers...
3. Is there a backrest out there that will work with the Sargent seat?
4. Did I just really ask about installing a backrest?!?

o I'm regarded with what feels like astonishment or confusion most days by the people I meet. They are used to seeing Harley riders with zero gear, not BMW riders in full gear.

o Leaving Dallas, I had 45mph crosswinds. In New Mexico the next day, I had 50mph crosswinds. It's the first time I've ever actually had to put full countersteering weight on a grip to keep from meeting the shoulder (and his cousin, Ditch). That was...entertaining on more than a few occasions.

o 112 degree heat is quite discernible from 100 degree heat. I was surprised to feel a chill from the cool air and amused to see that it had dropped from 112 to 98. Chilly!

o I hit a maximum elevation of 10,650 feet in New Mexico, on 64 just west of Taos. HOLY COW - that is by far the most beautiful, motorcycle oriented road I've yet ridden. 89 degrees at the base. 53 degrees 15 minutes later at the summit. 86 degrees on the other side. I took a picture of the snow I rode past at the top.

o I had someone in front of me, before I passed them, actually move over into oncoming traffic (other bikers no less) to attempt....hell, I don't know what he was attempting. At first I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was "helping me" by not letting me pass into oncoming bikers. But after passing, I'm pretty sure he was just mean spirited and didn't like being passed. The other bikers rode by, puckered, on the shoulder.

o My front brake squawks. It has always done so. But I've narrowed done the "when"...which is after the first 15 minutes, and only for the next 15 minutes or so, then it's fine. Stone cold = okay. Hot = okay. That middle ground though = squawky. S'okay...I wear earplugs so it usually doesn't bother me.

o The transmission klunk drowns out the brake squawk. Say what you will, but I'm in the "a bike that costs this much shouldn't make that noise" camp. My Duc has a pleasant ka-chunk. Not loud, just positive. The Gixxer is silky with a "click". It's absurdly pleasing to shift that bike. The GT's box o' rocks is less than desirable. But, hey...it works.

o One of the teardrop Camelbaks works great in my tankbag. I can flip the helmet up (Shoei Multitec), stick the hose 'tween my teeth and take long draws whenever I need to. It holds two large quart bottles of Gatorade (or water) and most days I need only fill it at the start. With it, I only need to stop for gas and potty breaks (and in Texas, I didn't need to stop for those at all with 112 degree heat near Amarillo!)

So I lied...I'm almost halfway (Portland will represent that). But I'm close. At present, I'm in Pocatello, Idaho for a friends wedding. Then I'm off to Boise (where I'm from) before heading through Medford to the coast, and up to Portland to stay with friends there.

I saw more GTs in Zion National Park then I've seen altogether anywhere else. Pretty neat. Did not get a chance to say hello to a single one.

Pics and fun writeup stuff to come at a later date. For now, I need to soak my tumor in booze.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 9:55 pm

Awesome ride! Thanks for the report. Looking forward to hearing about all of it and seeing the pics. Good luck, ride safe.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Noob

"Tumor" From Crosswinds"

Sounds like an epic ride........could your "tumor" be a result from the long distances in heavy crosswinds? I know I get similar knots in my neck and shoulders after I've been blasted in the side of the head for 500 miles. (Eastern Idaho & Southern Wyoming) Not much you can do about it....the alcohol soak WILL help....but it might be a contributor.

G Sharp (MOA #45532)

'07 K12GT
Dark Blue Metallic

From the Past:
'91 K100RS
'85 K100RT
'80 Yam 850 Special
'76 Kaw 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2008, 4:05 am Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

I thought that too, that perhaps the straining against crosswinds was the major factor.

But it's a pain I've had in the past on short-ish (1,500 miles) wind free trips. Not nearly as bad, and because those trips typically involved a hard ride, then a day or two off, then a ride home it was never bad. Back to back long days makes it bad.

I just noticed that I wrote the title of this post as "halfway over" and it strikes me now that it sounds like I'm eager to have it over with. On the contrary, I'm finding that when I'm stationary for more than a day, I get restless. Pain or no, I am most at ease when traveling, really clicking the miles off. As someone much wiser once said, a sort of temporary depression sets in when I've finally reached my destination. What now? Let's get moving again.

Also, my relationship with the bike is much stronger....and it was pretty close to begin with. Some folks will know what I'm talking about, and others will see it as odd or strange to have developed such a bond with a machine.

When I park her at night (after studying the parking lot for that perfect spot that almost eliminates any chances of someone backing into her, opening a door into, on relatively flat and level ground, visible from the window, etc)....I feel as if I've left my best friend chained to the curb out there while I escape to the relative safety and comfort of the hotel room. There's a certain exchange and interchange of responsibility and trust between rider and bike, much more than in a car. If you let go, you could both take a nasty spill. If you neglect her for a moment, you put both yourself and bike in danger.

I suppose it's that contrast - by day, we each have faith in the other to keep things shiny side up and it's a constant interlocked handshake sort of deal. At night, the dance is off. I reckon I haven't gotten my fill yet, or had a long enough day that I just don't want to look at her any longer. I must say, the folks that pull off the 1,000 mile days have my utmost respect.

In all likelihood though, when traveling solo like this, I think one simply projects and the machine becomes the friend you're sharing this new places, memories and experiences with. But boy, what a friend to share them with.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:59 am
Addict

Sounds like a nice road trip. Look forward to pics.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus-6
I'm on my "Big Trip" - the one we all plan, and some of us go on.

My biggie is 7,000 miles over 32 days. I left Dallas 8 days and 2,100 miles ago and my route takes me on a big lasso of the west (Grand Canyon and Zion National Park last week, Idaho this week, Portland and Glacier National Park next week). Tonight, I've finally found a place with decent enough internet access to get online and look at por...er, post a bit about things thus far.

I won't get all reflective just yet, but wanted to share a few impressions data wise from the road while I'm thinking about it.

o This my first long trip since the airbox/software update. The bike is perfect. Flawless. Fantastico. I kiss her at the end of each day's ride when nobody is looking. No more high idle. No more bucking. Finally, I have the GT I paid for nearly 2 years ago.

o My MPG is averaging 44.3. I like 83mph on the straight and boring, and as fast as I'm able to in the twisty stuff. So far, I've had to endure just 300 Interstate miles in over 2,000 miles total. This is by decision, and so far it's working out nicely.

o I threw on a set of Avon Storms before the trip and they are GREAT tires. I am 99% certain that the low speed awkwardness I had before was due to the stock Bridgestones after they cupped (and by awkward, I mean nearly dropping or actually doing so when negotiating tight, slow speed turns). The Storms have eliminated that and I find myself flipping u-turns fully loaded (sides cases + biggie top case packed full) that I would usually only attempt on the Gixxer.

o I have a tumor in my neck. It is MASSIVE. Thankfully, it goes away when I get off the bike, but returns the next day. I'm averaging 500 mile days, with a few explore the park type days thrown in every few days...but when I have back to back 500 mile days, THE SPOT appears. And it is PAINFUL. I'm taking Advil by the bucket-load during the day, and heavier stuff at night. What confounds me is that I cannot figure out WHY. I'm in good shape...and I can say that after the training I've been doing for the past year precisely for this trip. So I'm comfortable in ruling out my conditioning. I have a Sargent seat which fixed all my uncomfy butt issues. I've tried the bars fully down, and fully up...with no real change. THE SPOT, on me, is a half inch to the right of my spine, just where my neck blends into my shoulder. The only reason I can figure that it's only the right side is because of the throttle grip. The GT has a longish throttle travel, but I'm nearly depressed by this pain. I can ride 700+ mile days back to back, except for this pain!

1. Will the peg lowering kit help?
2. Bar risers? If I'm honest, the pain seems worse the higher I set the stockers...
3. Is there a backrest out there that will work with the Sargent seat?
4. Did I just really ask about installing a backrest?!?

o I'm regarded with what feels like astonishment or confusion most days by the people I meet. They are used to seeing Harley riders with zero gear, not BMW riders in full gear.

o Leaving Dallas, I had 45mph crosswinds. In New Mexico the next day, I had 50mph crosswinds. It's the first time I've ever actually had to put full countersteering weight on a grip to keep from meeting the shoulder (and his cousin, Ditch). That was...entertaining on more than a few occasions.

o 112 degree heat is quite discernible from 100 degree heat. I was surprised to feel a chill from the cool air and amused to see that it had dropped from 112 to 98. Chilly!

o I hit a maximum elevation of 10,650 feet in New Mexico, on 64 just west of Taos. HOLY COW - that is by far the most beautiful, motorcycle oriented road I've yet ridden. 89 degrees at the base. 53 degrees 15 minutes later at the summit. 86 degrees on the other side. I took a picture of the snow I rode past at the top.

o I had someone in front of me, before I passed them, actually move over into oncoming traffic (other bikers no less) to attempt....hell, I don't know what he was attempting. At first I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was "helping me" by not letting me pass into oncoming bikers. But after passing, I'm pretty sure he was just mean spirited and didn't like being passed. The other bikers rode by, puckered, on the shoulder.

o My front brake squawks. It has always done so. But I've narrowed done the "when"...which is after the first 15 minutes, and only for the next 15 minutes or so, then it's fine. Stone cold = okay. Hot = okay. That middle ground though = squawky. S'okay...I wear earplugs so it usually doesn't bother me.

o The transmission klunk drowns out the brake squawk. Say what you will, but I'm in the "a bike that costs this much shouldn't make that noise" camp. My Duc has a pleasant ka-chunk. Not loud, just positive. The Gixxer is silky with a "click". It's absurdly pleasing to shift that bike. The GT's box o' rocks is less than desirable. But, hey...it works.

o One of the teardrop Camelbaks works great in my tankbag. I can flip the helmet up (Shoei Multitec), stick the hose 'tween my teeth and take long draws whenever I need to. It holds two large quart bottles of Gatorade (or water) and most days I need only fill it at the start. With it, I only need to stop for gas and potty breaks (and in Texas, I didn't need to stop for those at all with 112 degree heat near Amarillo!)

So I lied...I'm almost halfway (Portland will represent that). But I'm close. At present, I'm in Pocatello, Idaho for a friends wedding. Then I'm off to Boise (where I'm from) before heading through Medford to the coast, and up to Portland to stay with friends there.

I saw more GTs in Zion National Park then I've seen altogether anywhere else. Pretty neat. Did not get a chance to say hello to a single one.

Pics and fun writeup stuff to come at a later date. For now, I need to soak my tumor in booze.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 5:47 pm

I have experienced a pain like the one you describe and have found that a trip to the Chiropractor is usually the best fix. Sounds like a pinched nerve in your neck. I'll bet a hot shower pounding on it helps and Icing it alternately with heat is always good therapy.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. I hope you made a stop at Craters of the Moon park in Idaho. Pretty cool stuff!!

Peter D
2006 K1200 GT SLONOMO
Simi Valley, CA

Pete D.
2006 K 1200 GT CGM
SLONOMO
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Perhaps a nice soothing massage would put your neck back in perspective.
(NO, NOT THAT!! a real massage)
On some long rides I've found my neck straining-possibly from the excitement and over-gripping? Just a thought.

it is un-natural for man to be in a cage
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 6:26 am
Veteran

About that tumor, there is a topical rub you can get at the drug store and rub it into that area. It seems to help me a bit. I get it in about the same area, right neck to shoulder area.

Then if you happen to be in real pain along I-80 east of Reno, NV, you could stop off in Patrick, NV (exit 28) at The Wild Horse Adult Spa and Resort and request an Asian jacuzzi massage from Mimi. Of course it isn't as cheap as the above, but you get a very nice massage and maybe a nice dinner in a jacuzzi suite - and some other stuff. I'll guarantee that you'll forget about whatever ails you too - like dropping your bike at a gas pump <damhik!>.

Mack
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 7:19 am
Strafist

I went down several years ago on the LT and busted out ribs on ONE steenkeen rock the size of grapefruit that was on the side of the road. Slid into it. Wouldn't have been hurt at all, not a scratch and I was doing 65mph on a two lane country road, o'dark thirty, raining and 48 degrees. Hit some oil that had spilled on the road.

Anyway, when I healed up, around the second tank of gas I would get the most excruciating pain in the back where them ribs busted out (to this day I still have a pretty good size hole in the rib cage). In order to ride long distances, I ate Aleeve and gritted my teeth. What a bummer.

The first time I sat on a GT my whole body gave a sigh of relief and I ordered one without even riding one.

You know where this is leading, don't you? *snicker*

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 8:27 am
Enthusiast

Good to read your trip report, just a couple of weeks before I leave on my big trip to Oregon. Might see you coming in on my way out someplace north of Dallas (departing July 2nd).

During the long boring sections, I go to cruise control and put my arms and hands in all kinds of different positions. I also can raise both legs and put them on the fairing below the handlebars, that will stretch out your arse!

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode