Gear shift - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2008, 10:54 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Gear shift

Has anyone had the same issue with the shifter where it was difficult to get the boot under the shifter? Is there an adjustment that can be made to get the leaver moved up a bit in order my foot to get underneath properly. I have SIDI Discovery Tepor boots, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 1:07 am Thread Starter
Rookie

What think would solve the problem is either the shifter can be raised by 1/2 to 1 inche or a simple attachement to the existing lever that would provide an extention upwards by the same and re-attache the shifter.l
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 1:20 am

mantmich - there was a discussion on this back in '06. sorry but i don't know how to attach it to my reply but if you click on the search button and type in "clunk" you will get a number of threads. go to page 2 & look for the article that says "got glunk? get fixed!" and it will show you how to adjust it with the 9th post. it's easy & it only takes a couple of minutes to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 6:40 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOOTH
mantmich - there was a discussion on this back in '06. sorry but i don't know how to attach it to my reply but if you click on the search button and type in "clunk" you will get a number of threads. go to page 2 & look for the article that says "got glunk? get fixed!" and it will show you how to adjust it with the 9th post. it's easy & it only takes a couple of minutes to do.
Thanks, how much room is there to adjust it to move the shifter upwards? I just noticed on mine that some tread is already exposed. How much tread on both ends is available to adjust? Hate to arrive at the end and go for a ride and the bar disconnects.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 6:40 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantmich
Has anyone had the same issue with the shifter where it was difficult to get the boot under the shifter? Is there an adjustment that can be made to get the leaver moved up a bit in order my foot to get underneath properly. I have SIDI Discovery Tepor boots, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Its really simple.
Just remove the shifter from the spline, one of your Torx tools under the seat does this if I remember right.
Run out the thread on the linkage from the shifter to the gearbox and refit the shifter back on the spline. Too much then wind the thread back in some, not enough wind it out some more,

Good Luck

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 6:58 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOOTH
but if you click on the search button and type in "clunk" you will get a number of threads. go to page 2 & look for the article that says "got glunk? get fixed!" and it will show you how to adjust it with the 9th post. it's easy & it only takes a couple of minutes to do.
Here is the link

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantmich
Thanks, how much room is there to adjust it to move the shifter upwards? I just noticed on mine that some tread is already exposed. How much tread on both ends is available to adjust? Hate to arrive at the end and go for a ride and the bar disconnects.
There is enough there to be able to adjust it for your purpose. I've met other riders who wear the same boots & were able to get the set-up just right.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 7:05 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
Its really simple.
Just remove the shifter from the spline, one of your Torx tools under the seat does this if I remember right.
Run out the thread on the linkage from the shifter to the gearbox and refit the shifter back on the spline. Too much then wind the thread back in some, not enough wind it out some more,

Good Luck
What about just adjusting at the connection at the gear shaft? BMW here in Calgary recommended I just do that, in other words loosen the connection to the Gear shaft and rotate it downwards until I get the clearance I need. Sounds reasonable?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 9:55 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

My BMW guy was full of beans, I adjusted the arm and works fine.

Thanks everyone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode