K1200GT-R1200RT-K1200LT Best For me? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 11:41 am Thread Starter

K1200GT-R1200RT-K1200LT Best For me?

I'm looking for a new bike. Just sold my Harley Ultra Glide and I'm looking for a replacement. My wife traded her Harley for a 2008 K1200GT and loves the bike but it seems to small for me. I'm 6'4" 230 pounds been riding for 40 years and enjoy touring. Which bike would be best for me in your opinion.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:01 pm
Addict

Have you thought of the (ugly, ) R1200GS? If your inseam is 34" or more it is the most comfortable for the long haul. Your wife's gonna be the winner of every contest except maybe high-gear roll on.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

I have put about 2000 miles on a R1200GSA while adventure touring and it is a nice bike, but I am looking for a tourer with more protection from the weather.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 4:47 pm
Rookie

Just went from an Ultra to the GT and I couldn't be happier, but with that said I'm 5'8" so I can see you concern. Have or will the better half let take the beast out for a few hours so you really get a feel? I know the LT would fit but I guess it depends on what type of riding you want to do. The GT is night and day from the Ultra, in fact in my opinion other then the LT it is a whole lot different. But I will tell you this, the GT puts a smile on my face that I haven't had in years.

Raymond
2006 K1200GT
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Question Been there, done them...

Had '02 LT. '05 & '07 RT. Now '07 GT. I'm 6'4" and 265. Here's my take.
IF you're gonna do a LOT of "long" ride touring, one up, then I'd go with the LT. However, It's a little more than a tad top heavy and a handfull at parking lot/walking speed. I didn't like it for the majority of my "around town" riding and commuting and didn't do enough "long" riding. The weather protection is great.
The RT's were great for touring and playing in the twisties and with a little tweaking of the ergo's(bar up/back's, peg's lowered from Surburban Machinery) & Corbin saddle were all I needed.
The GT has to be THE bike for the "grin" factor. I'm getting used to the slightly more aggressive riding position with peg's lowered, tall OEM shield, bars UP. I'm gonna keep the GT as long as I can keep somewhat comfy with my arthritic knees. Then I'll have a decision to make myself.
As you have probably read elsewhere in this forum, it's an "to each his own" situation. This is true with all three.
I'm with you as far as the GS. I want a little more wind/weather protection. I would have one as a second bike.
To make a long story short. I would ride the wife's GT as much as she will allow. Then if the GT is not your cup of tea the RT might fit the bill.
Most important! RIDE all of them first before making a decision!

Good luck,

Bill
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 5:57 pm
Would rather be riding

My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedback
I'm 6'4" 230 pounds been riding for 40 years and enjoy touring. Which bike would be best for me in your opinion.
I'm 6'2" (34" inseam) and 240lbs. On the GT I liked the stock seats in the low position, standard footpeg position, bars all the way down. I actually find it more comfortable to be a little more "squatty" on the GT.

I can't comment on the LT, never having sat on one, but I've spent some time on the RT and I found that more upright than the GT, I left the seat in the high position on that bike. I prefer being more leaned over. (I came from a Kawasaki GPZ1100, which puts you in an even more leaned over position than the GT, about halfway to the S position.)

At 41 yrs old I seem to be one of the younger GT riders. I get some back pain, but then I'm a desk jockey by day so it's not surprising or debilitating. I can ride the GT all day (9AM to 6PM) for a couple of days in a row without trouble (well, my cheeks get a little sore from smiling like a fool all day long.)

I'm kind of surprised your wife's GT is too small. Maybe she got it lowered or got the short seat? You might want to buy/borrow a normal seat for the GT from someone who's upgraded and see if that makes a difference. The GT with the normal seat in the tall position is pretty high.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Good Info Thanx Guys

Thanxs for the info. I bought the GT as a second bike but only got to ride it home from the dealer. The next day my wifes bike was in for service so I made a mistake and let her ride the GT and have never got to ride it since. I guess my impression of the GT could be because it is so different from the Harley. My wife's GT is in the shop because of a high idle problem and we are waiting for a new airbox.

I will be test riding a LT and Goldwing tomorrow, maybe I should demo a GT also.

Thanks for your opinions.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:08 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedback
I'm looking for a new bike. Just sold my Harley Ultra Glide and I'm looking for a replacement. My wife traded her Harley for a 2008 K1200GT and loves the bike but it seems to small for me. I'm 6'4" 230 pounds been riding for 40 years and enjoy touring. Which bike would be best for me in your opinion.

Thanks
I am 6'3" 230 pounds, 36' inseam. 06 GT works for me!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 7:13 am
Enthusiast

Holy cow, youse guys are huge! I'm 5' 11" 175 32" inseam, but ride 2up most of the time so our combined total weight is like 300 give or take 10 lbs GT rocks for me also.

I run stock windshield, stock handlebars (high setting) lowered pegs.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 11:07 am

The GT may be the bike you want since you got it in the first place....
BUT if you looking for "more" then take a good long ride on the LT.... Have the wife drive the GT with you so you have a reference point... If you don't buy another GT I think you will really like the LT.............Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode