Kisan TailBlazer thread *here* - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Kisan TailBlazer thread *here*

I've been posting this info in two seperate threads so I just thought I'd start a new thread with the latest info.

recap - Installed, worked okay. Rode all day (300 miles). Don't work okay.

After the install they were flawless. After a couple hours I noticed I only got the flashy triangle thingy intermittently. At one stop light I applied the brakes and didn't see the yellow triangle warning. At the light I turned around and looked at the lens - no flash. The tail light was fine, brake light came on solid. Weird.

Also, after one fuel stop I got the lamp warning on the tail light. No lights, no brake lights. Key off, then back on fixed the problem.

It appears the Tail Blazers work fine at startup, then during the ride stop flashing, or only flash a couple times, then come on solid. I have no earthly idea what the don't work all the time, or not work all the time.

Intermittent problems are the worst.

gc916
Rookie Join Date: Jul 2005

Same issue for me, but I noticed the taillight assembly was wobbly before I removed it to install the Kisan. I'm thinking it's TADT (they all do that), because I remember reading similar posts on this site or others.

I'm getting the flashing yellow lamp warning when I apply the brakes right after startup, but it goes away after a few seconds. Andy at Kisan explained it as resulting from diminshed battery voltage after cranking , but said it is of no concern.

I'm going in for the 12k service on Monday, so I'll ask the tech about both issues and report back if I hear anything different.

Here's the latest

I emailed Kisan, this is what they said -
The ZFE monitoring software also changes the duty cycle of the brake output if the brakes have been applied successively too many times, as by pumping the brakes. That's probably why the tailBlazer did not flash when you looked at it after riding a while. If you keep applying brakes the duty cycle will keep on getting longer and tailBlazer flash cycle will also get shorter and shorter. The reset time for the full flash cycle is about 2.5 seconds.

I asked them if they knew why my system is not resetting, waiting to hear back from them. I'll post it here. At least we know why they stop flashing, now I wonder if there is a fix other than key off/on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 5:52 pm

Hey there,

I went through the same drama and just put the OEM bulbs back in because as a pilot, i can'd seem to deal with the warning light. I called Pirates, where i purchased the set and they were real helpful and put me in contact with a tech at Kissan.

Kissan sent me a replacement set and they still do it. The Tech there stated they believe it is the low voltage our K1200GT gel BMW/Exide batteries put out during certain conditions. Funny thing is i have noticed during the 18 months i have had my 07, the motor turns over rather slowly when starting on a warm day (90-110) after i have been riding awhile. It always starts, just real slow. Recently I had BMW check the battery and it passed. Regardless, I have ordered a AGM battery to deal with the slow starting, so i will try the Kissans again.

Oh yeah, the ECU registered a fault of failed brake lights when i just had the ECU scanned at 12k miles.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

If I can get an answer from Kisan (or anyone, for that matter) as to why the duty cycle on the brake lights is not resetting that would answer a lot of questions. Could be a programming thing in the computer too, I dunno.

I don't believe the low voltage answer from Kisan now. The alternator is powering the bike and has a voltage regulator. Wish no load on the system (no grips or seats running) there is plenty of juice at idle, so I doubt that's what is happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:14 am
Noob

Bulb Life

fitted Talblazer tail lights two months ago. Found out on the way home from work to tonight why two spare bulbs are included - total loss of tail and brake lights. Old OEM bulbs are back in!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 9:14 am Thread Starter

I sent Kisan more data on my bulbs and what was happening, never heard back from them. Stock bulbs will go back on just as soon as I get the P3 lights.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:16 am
Enthusiast

Is the model of Tail Blazer you guys have tried the 20W-DZ can-bus? I was thinking of tring one of these. My dealer said that this new model as opposed to the 20W-D fixed the can-bus issues. Is this true?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilynator
Is the model of Tail Blazer you guys have tried the 20W-DZ can-bus? I was thinking of tring one of these. My dealer said that this new model as opposed to the 20W-D fixed the can-bus issues. Is this true?
Got the "Z", required for the Canbus. Unless they've made changes to it in the last 90 days, no go. It is not quite ready for prime-time yet.

Still have the same problem I posted above. They work, just not all the time. The P3s on the other hand are flawless. Little amateur looking, but work good-last a long time.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:54 pm
Noob

I got the Z version about 5 months ago. Except for the first two stops right after the initial startup I don't get the warning light issue for the rest of my ride no matter how short or long.
I have a 2007 GT (date of manufacture is actually Oct 2006 - borderline). Also, I have the original 'firmware' (I forgot the proper name right now) that the bike came with from the factory, no upgrade since.
Can the 'firmware' version be a deal-breaker?

Steve
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_helmet
I got the Z version about 5 months ago. Except for the first two stops right after the initial startup I don't get the warning light issue for the rest of my ride no matter how short or long.I have a 2007 GT (date of manufacture is actually Oct 2006 - borderline). Also, I have the original 'firmware' (I forgot the proper name right now) that the bike came with from the factory, no upgrade since.
Can the 'firmware' version be a deal-breaker?

Steve

This probably means they aren't flashing, just coming on solid. See my posts (#1 ,2) about the duty cycle of the bulbs.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 11:38 pm

They never worked right in my 07. even the replacements Kissan sent, they still set off the yellow triangle and even recorded faults in the computer. Kissan told me they thought the factory batteries are borderline weak in the GTs and suggested i have mine checked. I did and it passed. Later i put a AGM Odyssey battery in because of the slow cranking problem. The Kissans still trigger faults. Their for sale if anyone wants them. PM me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode