Thoughts after a few miles on my '08 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 6:14 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thoughts after a few miles on my '08 GT

Nice Tranny.... NOT
I've found that if I "short shift" I can relieve most of the unnerving TWHACK that comes along as standard equipment. Good work BMW. Thanks. If I shift short, at low road speed, things are much better. Oh yeah, don't forget to preload... 1st to second at prox 10-15mph, 2nd to 3rd @15-20. I'd rather focus my attention on watching traffic, road conditions, cell phone fanatics, and such. Dissapointing.

ESA, my .02.
Comfort = Normal
Normal = sorta harsh
Sport = never will use it
Echos of this months MC Consumer News' review of ESA on the GS
For me, the setting are all one level too firm.
My RT (NON ESA), rides more comfortably with the standard rear shock damping set just below mid range.

However, with my Aeroflow in place (nice work Paige, thanks), ESA set to Comfort, and at speeds above 65 mph it all begins to make sense. To quote another magazine review I've read, "welcome to the first class cabin"

Thing is, in Ohio, maximum legal speed is 65 mph.

Then there's the slipping squeely clutch.

Nice tranny. Not..
errrrr
Needed to vent. Flame on

DMilan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 6:51 pm
Veteran

Sorry you are not totally thrilled with your new and expensive bike. I'm not sure what you mean by "short shift". On my 07 KS, if I only pull back the clutch lever about 1/2 inch, the bike shifts very good - not great like a Duc, but still very good.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 7:14 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe1
Sorry you are not totally thrilled with your new and expensive bike. I'm not sure what you mean by "short shift". On my 07 KS, if I only pull back the clutch lever about 1/2 inch, the bike shifts very good - not great like a Duc, but still very good.
Yeah, not totally thrilled.

Anyway.. by short shift, I meant to imply, to shift up at very low road speed. Shifting as if it's an economy run. Going to the next gear a soon as possible, without lugging the engine. I have found that the 1-2 and 2-3 shift are usually accomplised without the unnerving THWACK. So far, this works best for me. It should not have to be this demanding.

I have tried many of the other methods mentioned on this and other forums.

As you suggest, the clutch engagement is very close to the end of lever travel. A fact mentioned by at least a few of the magazine reviews of the new version GT. That technique, at least with me at the controls, just doesn't get it done.

Thanks
dmilan

Last edited by DMilan; Jun 13th, 2008 at 7:25 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Rookie

I'll bite.

Here's an idea:

Sell the piece of shit and go on a never-ending crusade looking for perfection

Does that kind of think get you kicked off?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 9:50 pm
Addict

If this bike was perfect for everyone it would be a very funny looking machine.

You are right, the gearbox clunk is way too harsh and shouldnt need special riding skills but it does. One tip i found extremely helpfull was to make sure that youre shift lever was adjusted to create the minimum gap possible required between your boot and underlever so that preloading is achieved with minimal effort.
You dont need to short shift and in fact ive found the opposite. If you let it wind out gently into 3-4000 rev range, slight preload and semi clutch it becomes one of the smoothest changes around.
This bike is a sport tourer leaning towards sport, your RT isnt/wasnt. The steering on this bike is a Fu#%ing masterpiece that is enhanced by the suspension. Its willingness to turn in is arguably second to none in the market today and if you get fully loaded and 2 up and attempt a highway speed sweeper you will notice if in "comfort" mode that it hesitates to turn for a second while the suspension finds itself and then you get your line. This is telling you that another notch softer and it would be unpleasant to dangerous.
This bike isnt for everyone and I am certainly critical of its well documented reliability failings but every time I get a chance to get this bike into some open country it exilerates me.
To use a local saying"this bike would put a horn on a jellyfish".
Give it some time, enjoy the ride and if at the end of the day you dont like it try something else. Thats the fun of the journey.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Last edited by Dadicool59; Jun 14th, 2008 at 1:04 am.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Dadicool59. . . .You're awsome
I'm just a little uncomfortable with a horn on a jellyfish

it is un-natural for man to be in a cage
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:10 pm

Sport, touring, sport-touring. It's still a BMW, not a Cadillac. It's a driving machine (ultimate driving machine isn't it?) so while the suspension may feel too soft, it's a BMW, it's what they do. They engineered a machine, not an armchair.

Biggest problem I have when shifting (still new, only 600 miles on my '08) is matching revs. If I wind up 1st or 2nd I almost always throw myself over the handle bars because I had the revs way too low - let the clutch out and there I goooooooo.

Still learning, love the bike, gotta master the MYRP and I'll be all set.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:12 pm
Strafist

A slight fan of the clutch does it. No short shifting here. Sometimes I use the rev limiter to let me know it's time to pop another gear.

Rock and roll will never die, get some in your helmet.

I rode Harley for 28 years and will never go back. I can't understand the folks coming off of Harley complaining about thunking gear boxes.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:54 pm
Noob

Wow, it's amazing how two people can ride the same bike and have polar opposite views.
Hey Potato, PoTAtoe...

The transmission on my 08 GT is precise and smooth. Having ridden Japanese, & American bikes, I'm new to the BMW and comparatively speaking, the 1200 GT's tranny is a work of art.

If your disappointed with the transmission on the GT, be very careful on what else you choose to drive...it can get a lot worse.

Be Safe
Peas Out.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 1:40 am
Noob

I agree with Boat-dude and have only owned hondas in the past they fill like a minibike compared to my 08 GT 1700miles on it purrs like a mountain lion.

2008 K1200 GT Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode