What Do You Think ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

What Do You Think ?

I tend to be an aggressive rider when I am by my self, but when I ride with 2or more riders I try to accommodate the situation, but at the end of the day I usually take off on my own and meet them at our destination for the day, we all have gps's with the same route planned, so no worry of getting lost.they all say that this is not right and that we should ride together. they take it kind of personal, I try to explain to them that I don"t do it to hurt there feelings, I do it because I need my own space, can you please give me a second opinion on this .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2008, 11:42 pm
Strafist

I agree totally. It drives me nuts riding with folks that stop every 100 miles and then spend 30 minutes doing it. Folks that won't pass, or ride slower, scared of curves, won't ride long distances, etc.

Some friends that have the like riding style, and I, went for a ride on a get together. Another couple insinuated themselves into our group. The wife burst into the restaurant (where we were almost thru eating) and proceeded to chew our asses for riding like the devil.

I have little tolerance for folks who think you should conform to their standards and even less for fools. Not to mention those that could get hurt riding like you do.

You are totally correct. Ride your own ride.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 1:13 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvano
I tend to be an aggressive rider when I am by my self, but when I ride with 2or more riders I try to accommodate the situation, but at the end of the day I usually take off on my own and meet them at our destination for the day, we all have gps's with the same route planned, so no worry of getting lost.they all say that this is not right and that we should ride together. they take it kind of personal, I try to explain to them that I don"t do it to hurt there feelings, I do it because I need my own space, can you please give me a second opinion on this .
Are you looking for a second opinion or for support to tell those friends to "Harden the F#@k up!"
Find a group of friends to sport ride with and if these cruisin mates dont get the joke, play cards with em, dont ride with em, Simple!

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 2:51 am
Noob

Group riding is one of the easiest ways of falling out with people I have seen. No wonder that the term solo motorcyclist was in use in the early days of motorcycling. Riding in groups is a relativly modern thing apart from the motorcyle gangs which had a leader. Now every body wants to be the leader and no one wants to make decisions and take the responsibility of the group.
I run my local motorcycle club and the ethos is everyone enjoys the day out, but that never happens, its either too hot or too cold and they make that feel like its your fault. Route planning is ignored because somebody knows better, but they dont really. Timing is shot from the beginning as 9 am start does not mean turn up at 9.30 then go find fuel.
Basic touring rules such as stop every 100 miles for fuel top up for all and 5 mins leg stretch does not mean 20 miles down the road pointing like a demented devil at your filler cap and then saying I thought I had enough. The agreement that boring highway sections are completed swifly at a gps recorded 87 mph ( best speed to avoid unwelcome attention ), brings afterwards a torrent of abuse that it was too fast to keep up. You have a 160 mph machine dimwit how can it be too fast, why did you buy it.
One hour lunchstops become two as people wander off and 5 mins before time to set off decide that they need to strip off to go to the loo or adjust the chain at the side of the road with a pair of pliers.
You can spend days planning a route that these by-pass warriors would never have travelled and every time at the end of the day you wish that you have never had bothered.
Thats if someone turns up in the first place.
No wonder I like riding on my own or with a select few that recognise what biking is all about, the ride, the self sufficiency, and the shared experience.
Riding in a group can bring its rewards but they are rare, just the odd " That was the best day out I have ever had" makes it worthwhile,
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 11:15 am
Veteran

Tell your buddies to blow.

Group riding sucks. I do 99.9% of my riding solo. Way too many issues and attitudes to deal with when it comes to others. In 20 + years of riding I have yet to find any one that likes to ride like I do. That's the whole point. It's a solo individual freedom thing. No clubs, no rallies, no organized trips. Though there are a couple of guys here that I wouldn't mind meeting up with one day. This is the only place that I have ever found that there are a few guys with like riding attitudes.

Most people look at 1000's of mile long trips as an epic adventure. To me it's the whole...."point of the journey is not to arrive"..... thing. No planning, just a map and a direction. It's a rare day to get on the bike and only go 100 or so miles.

Personally I believe that the GT more than any other bike out there is THE solo machine. There isn't a better one made.

If you want to be part of the group or poser scene, buy a hog, put it on a trailer, drive it to a hotel 10 miles out of the city, and only take it out on sunny days above 75 degrees. There's a bout 20,000 of them down here in Austin TX where I'm visiting right now for some rally. What a freaking joke. I don't get it and don't want to.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Damn, I thought I was the only one...

It's really great to see that the opinion I have of group riding isn't really a "fault in my personality" as an EX-SO told me. I was the one who always put together the rides for an "all riders invited" club. That was just about shit-simple of me. I shoulda known better in the first place. You just can't satisfy more than a couple people that ride and think like you do. That's it!
I'm just glad to see there are a LOT of other people that have seen the light also. Looking at some of the other posted comments, I thought I had written them myself.
Now, I ride solo or with only two other guys that enjoy the same type of riding.

Bill
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Ok

OK, I HEAR YOU, That makes me feel normal agian the guy's were really picking on me the other day that is why I posted this, I been riding mostly solo , pick up and go and not sure when I come back.I find most people spend more time planning, then accually riding, . A friend of mine told me that they where planning a trip to Italy next year and I responded, that I was leaving for Spain in 8weeks , asked me when this came up and I said coulpe a days ago , The beauty about this is that I don't have to make anyone happy but my self, I'll be down south in the states. come September It would be cool to run into a few GT BOY'S when I come down.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 7:06 pm
Would rather be riding

Groups aren't all bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvano
...they all say that this is not right and that we should ride together.
I think I've been lucky with my riding buddies and for the most part on group rides. A (very patient) old roommate of mine pretty much taught me to ride on the borrowed bike of another roommate, and we rode together pretty often. I have a few other friends I ride with on and off, but for the most part I solo.

When we ride together it's pretty established that we ride our own pace through the corners, and make an effort to group up on the straights and always at intersections. This works out well, since it's pretty easy for the leader to ride slow (i.e. the speed limit) in the straights and let everyone catch up.

If I rode with a whiner that complained about not sticking together, I probably wouldn't ride with them again. Or would make it a point to get everyone to agree to some solid ground rules before the ride.

I like riding with other people though. I've had trouble on the road, and it's nice to have someone who can help out or in the worst case go for help. (And then laugh their asses off at your motorcycle hanging from a tree... while waiting for the towtruck to show up.)

I've done a few pickup rides around here, with varied results. Sometimes they're great, sometimes it's just a big mess. Often I'm "the old guy" on local pickup rides so I ride sweep -- I don't really mind, I just hang way back before the good bits and then I can ride a fast pace through the corners and not worry about the slower folks in front of me.

On the other hand, it's great to get with a group of mature riders on K1200GTs and let it rip. How ya doing Dave!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
I think I've been lucky with my riding buddies and for the most part on group rides. A (very patient) old roommate of mine pretty much taught me to ride on the borrowed bike of another roommate, and we rode together pretty often. I have a few other friends I ride with on and off, but for the most part I solo.

When we ride together it's pretty established that we ride our own pace through the corners, and make an effort to group up on the straights and always at intersections. This works out well, since it's pretty easy for the leader to ride slow (i.e. the speed limit) in the straights and let everyone catch up.

If I rode with a whiner that complained about not sticking together, I probably wouldn't ride with them again. Or would make it a point to get everyone to agree to some solid ground rules before the ride.

I like riding with other people though. I've had trouble on the road, and it's nice to have someone who can help out or in the worst case go for help. (And then laugh their asses off at your motorcycle hanging from a tree... while waiting for the towtruck to show up.)

I've done a few pickup rides around here, with varied results. Sometimes they're great, sometimes it's just a big mess. Often I'm "the old guy" on local pickup rides so I ride sweep -- I don't really mind, I just hang way back before the good bits and then I can ride a fast pace through the corners and not worry about the slower folks in front of me.

On the other hand, it's great to get with a group of mature riders on K1200GTs and let it rip. How ya doing Dave!
Very well rounded approach I think. There are times for each of those types of riding. The older I get the more I enjoy doing things with friends but riding is like snow skiing, each to his own pace in the corners.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 7:59 pm

Smile

Find new friends at the end of your ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5472.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	8117  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode