Motor cutting out after new airbox installed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 1:02 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Motor cutting out after new airbox installed

My '07 GT was in for the airbox upgrade a few weeks ago (usual BBS and high idle problems). They replaced the airbox but did not do the software upgrade because they said the latest version of software has been giving problems locking up bikes (they say they have had one in the shop for 5 weeks trying to fix it after an upgrade). So I have the original software (not sure what version but bought it new in Feb '07) and a new air box.

Since the new airbox went in the bike has been smoother at low revs, but throttle more jerky at 5 - 7,000 rpm and more throttle lag on roll-on (but not all the time). Problem is it is now cutting out when coming to a halt. It always happens after I've ridden at least 20 miles and am coming down into second or first gear when stopping in traffic or at the lights.

I was almost rear-ended on the freeway recently because of this, so I told the garage it was dangerous and I wasn't gonna ride it 'till it was sorted. So far they have had it a week. Problem is, it's my only means of transport and I'm starting to loose faith in the bike and the brand. (I have "software" problems on my '08 BMW 328i too - but that's another story for another board!).

My question is, does anyone know of any issues with the airbox / software upgrade that either causes engine stall or locks up bikes? Should I insist they do the software upgrade?

Bill.

IBA No.28132
BMW K1200GT (2007)
BMW K1200S (2005)
Ducati 696 Monster (the Wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 3:32 pm
Veteran

From what I've read and understand you are supposed to have then newest version of software with the newest box. In fact I believe BMW requires it. I have new box / software 11.x, or at least what ever was newest a couple of months back when they put in the new box, and except for the occasional 1/2 second "hiccup effect" at roll on, no problems at all.

Sounds like a BS excuse on your dealers part. They've got a bike they can't fix so blame it on the software. I mean come on.....5 weeks?! I'd have some one's ass in a sling if that were my bike. Either that or they'd be giving me a REALLY sweet deal on a new bike.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode