Very, very slow tire leak - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

Very, very slow tire leak

It appears I have a slow leak in my rear tire, very slow. I couldn't find it and neither could the dealer. Is it perhaps a new bike tire bead thing going on here? I hate to have to replace the tire at 1000 miles, and I know the dealership probably won't go to bat for me on this ( though it's obviously some kind of defect). Here's the facts, appreciate the input/how to handle it with the dealership. BTW the bike is equipped with the tire pressure monitor and these pressures mentioned were verified with a hand held gauge. All temperature variations taken into effect (this TPM adjusts for temp, I took my handheld readings on a "cold" tire.

Brand new bike, rode it off the dealers lot, pressure good.

Day 2 and 3, put 200 miles on it, no problems.

Bike sits in the garage on the center stand for 7 days

Go to ride - rear tire at 35 psi (spec'd at 42). No nails, no cuts, no damage.

Add air, do 300 miles that day, no problems.

Still good the next day. Take to dealership for break-in service, they find no leaks.

Today, down to about 37-39 psi. Ride a bit, add some air, keeping any eye on it.

This whole time, by the way, as a kind of "control", the front tire has been 36-37 psi and no variations.

The bike is always on the center stand when in the garage.

Thanks everyone for the input and help. I know I'll probably have to replace it but all y'all go ahead and holla first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 7:42 pm
Rookie

I think its normal, bike sat for 7 days? Thats why I would check air, wouldn't thing twice about adding a little.

Raymond
2006 K1200GT
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Last diagram. Soft rubber liner. http://www.webdelsol.com/DIAGRAM/2_5...struction.html That is there to hold the air. If it leaks the air will escape at the whole sidewall of the tire. Very hard to detect.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0815510 This type of leak detection fluid stays wet a very long time and has very low surface tension so the bubbles are quite tiny and do not pop. After about an hour the side of the tire will look like it is covered in a thin sheet of foam. This must be done in the shade on a cold tire laying on its side.

Those strapped for fund$ will put a tube in a "leaker".

I would insist on a new tire. Contact the tire manufacturer. 7# in 7 days is too much drop imho. 2# ok but not 7#.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I agree, 7lbs in 7 days is too much. I'm keeping a close eye on it until I go back to work. I'll top it off and take a cold measurement before I go out for a week, check it again when I come back. If it's that low again then I'm sure there's a problem.

Closer inspection of my warranty info and I see reference that tire manufactureres will have their own warranty. Does anyone know what Bridgestone's warranty is and if they will just cover the tire or pay labor for the swap too? Thanks
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:27 am
Enthusiast

Sounds like normal new tire bead seating to me. I always check my tire pressure every day for the first week after a tire change, and often add 7-10 pounds during that time. The bead will always seat, then I'll have to add 2-4 pounds in the next 2 weeks. I've noticed the rear seems to be leakier at first, too, which maybe points to other mechanisms that cause the air pressure to drop on a new tire.

I ride every day, and after the tires have settled in, I check once a week.

Give it another week or two, then see if it still leaks as quickly.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:27 am
Enthusiast

I would double check the stem valve and make sure it is tight, maybe loosen then retighten. I check my pressures before every ride, usually only down at most 2 lbs in a week or two.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:47 am
Strafist

I scrub the inside of the rim where the bead sits everytime I change tires. Virtually no leak down ensues.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 1:08 pm
Addict

Have to disagree with the responces " that's normal". IMO-1>2lbs in 2 weeks is "normal". Other variables are, tire and air temp, measuring device and brand of tire, to mention a few. Stones, Metz, Conti and Mitch loose about 1 lb every 1>2 weeks. I'm presently am running Avon Storms (56/57's). My first experience with Avons. I check tires once a week and they consistantly measure 37/42. Haven't added air for 4 months! I am extremely please with the wear (3kmiles) and responce/turn-in and general handling. Recent mag article on ST tires agree with my experience.
You either need to have the tire remounted or insist on a new one!

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 8:17 am
Noob

I Had something like this in my K1100LT. Replaced the valve stem and it went away.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
It appears I have a slow leak in my rear tire, very slow. I couldn't find it and neither could the dealer. Is it perhaps a new bike tire bead thing going on here? I hate to have to replace the tire at 1000 miles, and I know the dealership probably won't go to bat for me on this ( though it's obviously some kind of defect). Here's the facts, appreciate the input/how to handle it with the dealership. BTW the bike is equipped with the tire pressure monitor and these pressures mentioned were verified with a hand held gauge. All temperature variations taken into effect (this TPM adjusts for temp, I took my handheld readings on a "cold" tire.

Brand new bike, rode it off the dealers lot, pressure good.

Day 2 and 3, put 200 miles on it, no problems.

Bike sits in the garage on the center stand for 7 days

Go to ride - rear tire at 35 psi (spec'd at 42). No nails, no cuts, no damage.

Add air, do 300 miles that day, no problems.

Still good the next day. Take to dealership for break-in service, they find no leaks.

Today, down to about 37-39 psi. Ride a bit, add some air, keeping any eye on it.

This whole time, by the way, as a kind of "control", the front tire has been 36-37 psi and no variations.

The bike is always on the center stand when in the garage.

Thanks everyone for the input and help. I know I'll probably have to replace it but all y'all go ahead and holla first.

2007 Blue K1200GT 3dr Beemer
1993 Red K1100LT 2nd Beemer
1985 Blue K100RT 1st Beemer

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/misc.p...g=0&forumid=0#
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 10:17 am
Addict

The first thing that I would check, is the stem, but I bet that you are gonna find that it is the bead. If it was mine, I would remove the tire and thoroughly clean the wheel, where the bead of the tire seats. Usually, when you have tires mounted, the bead seat never gets touched.

James
Central Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode