Accessory relay - what'd I do wrong? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 10:15 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Accessory relay - what'd I do wrong?

I set out today to install several things:
1) 2nd accessory outlet on the lower left side direct to battery (no relay)
2) power to autocom under the passenger's seat (switched)
3) power to 2 cigarette lighter adapters in the smuggler trunk (switched)

I decided to use the power to the Nav III as the switch for the relay, so the accessories would stay on for a bit after turning off the bike.

The problem is, now the accessories and the Nav III itself all stay on!

Here's the setup:
1) ground wire from battery to various things under the seat.
2) +12v through a fuse by the battery and back to things under the seat
3) +12v switched tapped into GPS accessory connector.

Connected to the relay (standard 30amp automotive SPST) I have:
1) ground/common
2) +12v switched from GPS to "switch" (opposite ground)
3) +12v from battery to 12V in
4) output of relay to accessories.

If I start with everything off, when I turn on the bike I hear the relay "click" and the accessories come on. So far so good.

When I turn of the bike however, the GPS and accessories stay on!

If I disconnect the GPS line from the relay, the accessories go off immediately, and about a minute late the GPS itself goes off.

So it seems like somehow the extra load from the relay is (somehow) causing the Can-BUS to keep the GPS powered! Dammit, that's not what I want!!

I guess I should find another switched source of power for the relay. I considered using the accessory outlet that was there to start with, but I've got the fancy Can-BUS charger and I was worried that if I used it then the autocom and other stuff would also stay powered while the battery charger was hooked up.

Is there another readily accessible source of switched power under the seat? I don't care that much if it goes off immediately when I shut off the bike, I just want it to go off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 10:36 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Hmm, spoke too soon.

Well, after some more attempts at troubleshooting trying to see if/what the problem is, it now appears to work exactly as expected. This bothers me a little. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough. I sat there with a stopwatch and got times to shutdown from 60 seconds to 98 seconds. I could have sworn I waited at least 5 minutes before I came in to post this.

Oh well, I guess I'll go button it up and keep an eye on things for a while. It looks like it all came together nicely. I have my cellphone and ipod charging in the smuggler, the GPS talking to the phone and the autocom over bluetooth, the ipod playing through the autocom when the GPS/phone isn't, and everything shutting down together a bit after I turn off the bike. Oh, and a RF remote for the iPod velcro'd to the dash. Apart from the remote which pops right off, there should be nothing visible from outside.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Addict

Bob,

I'm glad this worked out! Let us know if it doesn't work out.

You are just a few miles from me, so if you need a hand any time, let me know. I'll send you a PM with my #.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 1:49 am Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

All buttoned up, still works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
I'm glad this worked out! Let us know if it doesn't work out.
Well, I got it all buttoned up OK and everything still works with the tupperware on, so that's something. When I put it away I watched and the GPS stayed on for several minutes... long enough for me to sweep up and put the car back in the garage, but it did finally shut down. I wonder if it always took this long and I just never noticed, or if the extra load has something to do with it.

Appreciate the offer for help. I probably could have used some today... I took the slow path to getting it done, double-checked everything, measured three times before drilling the hole in my smuggler, and generally taking long breaks and a couple of trips to radio shack. (First to get the relay, and then later to try to get a connector that would plug into the BMW outlet nicely.)

Now I'm just hoping I won't burn down the garage overnight!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 4:37 am
Veteran

I know nothing about electronics, but my dealer connected my GPS so it turns on when the bike is turned on and turns off when the bike is turned off. HOWEVER, it sometimes takes 5+ minutes for the GPS to turn off. If I turn off the GPS (zumo) with the bottom right zumo button, it will come back on in a minute or so and may stay on for a long, long time.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 3:43 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe1
HOWEVER, it sometimes takes 5+ minutes for the GPS to turn off.
Thanks, that's good to know, makes me feel better about the wiring. My GPS is the older Nav III which doesn't have it's own battery (bummer!) and has a switch on the side. I pretty much always shut it off with the switch when I turn off the bike, so yesterday was the first time I was really paying attention to how long it stayed on after shutting off the bike.

Also, the garage is still standing this morning.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 2:43 am
IBR# 366

I've got my GPS, V1, iPod, and a relay trigger for my heated gear all tied into the factory GPS plug. It varies, but it can take 5-10 minutes for this all to power down after the key is turned off.

A useful side effect is that my heated gear stays on for that long as well. So when I needed a short nap while crossing Yosemite at 2 a.m. last week I simply pulled over, parked on level ground, and nodded off. When the heated gear shut off and I started feeling the 35-degree ambient temps I woke up, started the bike, and was warm and on my way again.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 5:41 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
A useful side effect is that my heated gear stays on for that long as well. So when I needed a short nap while crossing Yosemite at 2 a.m. last week I simply pulled over, parked on level ground, and nodded off. When the heated gear shut off and I started feeling the 35-degree ambient temps I woke up, started the bike, and was warm and on my way again.
I did that once and woke up dead.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 2:17 am Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Stays powered with canbus charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I've got my GPS, V1, iPod, and a relay trigger for my heated gear all tied into the factory GPS plug.
I just discovered that the GPS plug stays powered when I've got the BMW canbus compatible battery charger/tender plugged in. Bah!

Looks like I'm going to have to move my relay tap to the parking lights after all. I probably won't bother until I have the tupperware off for some other reason though, won't really use the charger again until next winter. I just tried it tonight to experiment.

Is it possible to tap the running lights without pulling *all* the tupperware off the bike? I figure there's got to be a relatively easy way to get under there to change bulbs, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe go in through the turn signal holes?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 5:04 am
Strafist

Another option is to put in a spare plug wired directly to the battery to charge to. Also, it will eventually get cold and if you don't want to use BMW heated clothing, the plug is a must.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode