Heat Troller install - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 9:37 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Heat Troller install

After getting caught in 34 degrees and rainy weather on a run from Terlingua to Alpine, I decided to something about it. I've had the Widder stuff for many years, but it's just about a dedicated wear. In other words, you really need to start out wearing it, with the arm chaps and all. Seeings how it was real nice in the Big Bend area, I wore my mesh gear and brought the liners along with it. Having to bring another piece of gear is just too much a PITA. Getting ambushed by the weather, even with the stock Olympia liners, was miserable.

I started studying this stuff and settled for the Warm & Safe stuff. They invented the Heat Troller which Gerbings used till they shipped it to China, had it reversed engineered and now it's a piece of crap.

Got the Gen III jacket liner, which blocks the wind and is good for mesh stuff. Also got the fancy gloves and the the dual mount heat troller. Installed them today.

I started off by peeling the bike and removing the tank so I could run my wires with the rest of them, neatly encased and zip tied to the the frame. After the LT tech session yesterday, working on the GT is a simple dream. While I had the tank off, I removed the filler and drilled it to enable quickly adding the last 1/2 gallon (thanks, Ken!).

I put the controller knobs on the side of the dash

And the box under the seat

The paperwork that comes with the unit says if you cut any wires you void the warranty. I voided the warranty. There was no way to put the box under the seat without cutting the the battery connects on the power wires (which are run to a dedicated 15a circuit on the Painless Fuse Box). There really was nowhere else to put the box and have the plugs to the jacket and gloves reach. So be it.

It was a quick job and I enjoyed doing it. Now I'm ready for the mountain passes on the way to and back from CCR.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 2:54 am
IBR# 366

Yeah, the HeatTroller and Warm & Safe stuff rocks. I literally don't leave home without it, even in summer in SoCal (never know when you're gonna end up on top of a mountain somewhere ).

I had them mount the two control knobs in a small waterproof plastic box which I mounted to the clutch reservoir with dual-lock tape. Works great and is easy to reach.

I also cut off the main 12 Vdc feed wires so I could connect them to a relay. Haven't had a single problem with the HeatTroller in 30K miles on the LT, and now 50K miles on the GT.

And with the filler neck drilled, I can get about 6.95 gallons in from full empty. The increased range is nice, although it does suck putting over $30 into the tank in one fill up.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:14 am
Addict

Grif, you and Ken have finally convinced me to drill the filler neck, but i have a couple of questions before I do it.

Can I get the filler neck out without pulling the plastic off the tank? I kinda doubt it, but I thought I would ask anyway.

How high up in the neck did you drill? Pic's would be great.

I need to get some of that Warm and Safe clothing, I was gonna get Gerbing, but I have been reading about several recent problems with their clothing line.

James
Central Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:37 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
Grif, you and Ken have finally convinced me to drill the filler neck, but i have a couple of questions before I do it.

Can I get the filler neck out without pulling the plastic off the tank? I kinda doubt it, but I thought I would ask anyway.

How high up in the neck did you drill? Pic's would be great.

I need to get some of that Warm and Safe clothing, I was gonna get Gerbing, but I have been reading about several recent problems with their clothing line.
Hey James, you have to pull both upper fairings, the battery cover and the tupperware over the gas tank. All of ten minutes. (leave the bottom panels of the gas tank cover on).

Using the same torx and your electric screwdriver, unsrew the gas cap. The filler neck then comes out. The sender unit is attached by a plastic bracket to a U shaped thang and just pops off after depressing a release (you'll know when you see it). There is also a hose that you have to take one of those fooking crimp clamps off. I used a couple of rubber clamps to hold the sender unit and hose (they pull out real far, so it's easy) to keep them from falling into the tank. I dunno if they would have, I was just keeping one step ahead of Murphy.

Once you have the gas cap and filler neck out, if you hold the gas cap to the filler neck, you'll see where it seals. Just drill below that point. I used a 9/16" bit (simply because that's what I grabbed) and drilled at the 12 and 3 o'clock position (3 o'clock for when it's on the side stand).

After I put it back together I realized I hadn't documented it, but not to worry, I've been in contact with Ken. He has photo's and will do a write up for the HoW.

This morning with 20 miles left on the clock (which means a gallon in reserve) I put about 5 1/2 gallons into the tank.

Yeah, I'd stay away from Gerbings.

-=grif=-
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 4:00 pm
Addict

Yeah, I figured that I would have to pull the plastic...oh well, I need to replace the air filter anyhow.

James
Central Texas
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:55 pm
Addict

Grif, where did you mount the led's for the switches? i can't see them in the pic.

James
Central Texas
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 5:10 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
Grif, where did you mount the led's for the switches? i can't see them in the pic.
I didn't want to look at them, so they're below the switches. You can see them if you're off the bike, but not in the saddle. I just don't want to have to get used to looking at the LED's out of the corner of my eye at night. Same thing with the Phoenix switches, they aren't wired to light up. The dayem V1 is bad enough without adding more to the Christmas tree.

-=grif=-
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 7:19 pm
Rookie

Heat Troller Install

Just got my warm&safe package...generation 3 liner, semi permanent dial and, the controller. Toughest part was routing their harness to the battery. Just barely enough length without doing the cut and splice routine on their otherwise neat and topnotch package. You need to realize that if you cut/splice away goes your waranty. Got it in OK but am gonna write see if Mike realizes this issue exists with the GT and if we can get a change.
Question...Have any of you guys found the W&S harness on the tight side for the GT?

NuKGT
'06 K1200GT
CGM..One Fast Colour!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 8:34 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuKGT
Question...Have any of you guys found the W&S harness on the tight side for the GT?

NuKGT
'06 K1200GT
CGM..One Fast Colour!!!
I cut and spliced as it was too short (see my pix). Life is too short not to make things work that need to work.

-=grif=-
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 8:40 pm
IBR# 366

I also cut & spliced the power feed, but that was more because I wanted to hook it to a relay so it shuts off when the key is off. I probably didn't need to bother, because the HeatTroller only draws minimal current for the LEDs when there isn't a jacket plugged in.

But yeah, I wish it had a standard coax input for the 12 Vdc and then you could use one of their fused leads to power it. That would be more convenient.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode