Dead Xenon Headlight on 08 KGT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 4:22 am Thread Starter
Noob

Dead Xenon Headlight on 08 KGT?

Hi,
I have a 08 GT with 800kms on it. While riding the Headlight "bulb out" warning come on and the Xenon headlight stopped working. I waited til the first service to bring it to the dealer. The dealer advised that I needed a new Xenon bulb but didn't have it in stock so they ordered one - which took 16 days to arrive (apparently from BMW). When it arrived the dealer told me to swing by and they would stick it in without an appointment as it was just a bulb install. After 1 1/2 hours I asked what was taking so long and they advised that it was not the bulb and they had the whole front of my bike disassembled and were not sure what the problem was. They did a software update/reset and can't seem to determine the problem. My bike is still in pieces at the dealership after 3 days and they can't give me a solid answer what's wrong. I told them to put the bike back together as I am not losing the best part of the riding season over a bulb.
Does anyone have any suggestions what the problem might be or how I should handle what I believe is a poor dealer service problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 5:40 am
Strafist

Xenons are pretty simple, wiring, bulb, fuse and ballast.

Sometimes the pins to the connectors get shoved back into the casing. This will usually cause intermittent and then it will stop working, easy fix unless there's a short.

Bulb- already covered.

The only way to check the ballast is to replace it because high voltage kinda stops you from slapping an Ohm meter on it.

Our bikes don't have fuses (unless you install aftermarket stuff) and I haven't heard of ZFE problems.

Of course, it could be upstream and happening at the switch.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 5:43 am
Enthusiast

Sorry, can't help much. I, too, have an '08 GT and was rather surprised that the xenon bulb cost a fortune to replace and that it was not a warranty item...I think the bulb is warranted only for 6 months, if I remember correctly. In your case, though, since the whole headlight assembly seems to be defective, there shouldn't be a problem with warranty. Also, there may be a safety issue if you ride without a headlight so there's that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:07 am

My xenon bulb was out at 800 miles. New bulb was installed under warranty and now 7000 miles no problem.

I hope the dealer did remember to "START THE ENGINE" to check the bulb. I made that mistake one night. I purposely stopped on an extremely dark night to see the stars with the wife. Turned on the key and no headlight!!! My wife calmly says "do you have to start the engine".... I hate it when women are right on mechanical problems...

spafxer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

The dealer mentioned something about replacing a modulator whatever that is? The light is definately not working when the bike is running and the 'bulb out' warning symbol on the dash confirms it. The computer knows the bulb isn't working or the computer is causing the bulb not to work. Frustrating as now I'm arm wrestling the dealer to put the bike back together so I can use it for the 16 days while the part comes from the Home Country. They don't want to assemble and then unassemble it again, but the season here is so short I'm not budging. I think the dealer is just throwing parts at it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 9:52 am
Enthusiast

Bulb failure is so rare, the aftermarket HID dealer I used for my K12LT would not sell me a backup bulb. It did not fail in 80k miles. (I think the dealer would have had to break up a kit to get me the bulb.)

I'm going to guess it's the controller/ballast (modulator?). That's what the ZFE talks to. I had a problem with my aftermarket HID. Turned out to be an intermittant waterproof input connector to the ballast. I ended up hardwiring the connection.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode