former RT owners - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

former RT owners

Going to Spain in Aug. got a RT waiting for me. I would like to bring my own gps along, could some one tell me were the battery is located on th Rt , and what should I look for in the sence of problems that could occur, OH I own a zumo and 2610 both are great units but prefer to hook up the zumo, One more thing I am also like to hook up autocom so I can listen to my wife give me heck once in a while,so kinda gives me the feeling I never left home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 12:16 pm
Veteran

The RT should have a BMW electrical socket on it. Just give yourself maybe 5' of cord with a BMW plug and you should be good to go.

The battery is behind the tank under all the bodywork and is a pain to get to.

Mack
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
The RT should have a BMW electrical socket on it. Just give yourself maybe 5' of cord with a BMW plug and you should be good to go.

The battery is behind the tank under all the bodywork and is a pain to get to.

Mack
thanks for the feed back , could you please tell me the location of the plug is it the same as the gt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 1:47 pm
Enthusiast

There's one plug on the left fairing, kinda under your left hand. If they installed a second one, it's just in front of the rear rack, left side.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:55 am

Setting up a loaner/rental RT

Hey Silvano,

Did something <similar> last year for a ride starting in Tucson, AZ on a rental RT (thanks Iron Horse BMW!)

Had borrowed an older Autocom from a friend that had 9V power (instead of running to the battery) and just ran the audio cable up to the GPS. The GPS (Garmin Quest) was powered from the Aux socket which is located on the left side of the fairing (when you're seated on the bike). Although the Quest can run on battery we powered the unit so it wouldn't run down at the wrong time. The GPS was mounted with a RAM handlebar mount and cradle setup. I believe I zip tied the audio cable to the tankbag rails and left enough slack so the bars could freely move.

The setup worked great for the entire time we were touring around AZ.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvano
Going to Spain in Aug. got a RT waiting for me. I would like to bring my own gps along, could some one tell me were the battery is located on th Rt , and what should I look for in the sence of problems that could occur, OH I own a zumo and 2610 both are great units but prefer to hook up the zumo, One more thing I am also like to hook up autocom so I can listen to my wife give me heck once in a while,so kinda gives me the feeling I never left home.

Mike

'08 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode