Installing P3+ Lights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 11:14 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Installing P3+ Lights

I got a set of P3+ Lights (supplementary LED brake lights) after being impressed by the visibility of a similar set on another bike I saw around here, and after reading about all the troubles people have had with the Kisan lights.

Connecting them looks straightforward, but I figured I'd ask and see if the collective has any wisdom to impart on how to make it easier.

Anyone know the wire colors for the parking and brake light circuits?

Should I take off the luggage rack and back center fairing to make it easier to get at the wires?

Has anyone considered mounting this on or just below the luggage rack itself rather than around the license plate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:05 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
I got a set of P3+ Lights (supplementary LED brake lights) after being impressed by the visibility of a similar set on another bike I saw around here, and after reading about all the troubles people have had with the Kisan lights.

Connecting them looks straightforward, but I figured I'd ask and see if the collective has any wisdom to impart on how to make it easier.

Anyone know the wire colors for the parking and brake light circuits?

Should I take off the luggage rack and back center fairing to make it easier to get at the wires?

Has anyone considered mounting this on or just below the luggage rack itself rather than around the license plate?
I think they'd look kewl mounted under the rack!

You're pretty screwed on a switched power source on the back of the bike. Now's a good time to add a fuse box if you don't have one.

You don't have to remove the rack, just the tailight cover.

I removed the fairings and the tupperware over the gas tank, simply because when I run wiring, I run it to make servicing easy for myself in the future.

Brown is always ground on a BMW motor.

See the HoW.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 2:35 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Running lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I think they'd look kewl mounted under the rack!
I'll play around with it. Maybe I'll dual lock them so I can move them to the topcase when it's on. I like the idea of a higher brake light. (I had a brake light integrated into my Givi topcase on the last bike, really liked it up there.)

I've already brought accessory power from the GPS connector back to a relay for direct-to-battery power under the seat for my Autocom and cigarette lighter adapters. (Last weekend's project.) Maybe I'll just use that to power the P3+ lights as well. They mention that on the P3 site page about installing on the GT, saying the only drawback is the running lights will stay on for a couple of minutes after I shut off the bike -- I think I can consider that a feature instead of a bug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 3:37 pm
Strafist

And they really won't draw enough power to matter. Gotta love LED's.

-=grif=-
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 11:40 am
Addict

I really like your idea of mounting them to the topcase. If you do that, please post pics. I have installed two sets, of them, both on RT's, on either side of the license plate bracket, and I really don't like the looks of them there, that is why I haven't mounted them on my bike yet.

James
Central Texas
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:39 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Not on topcase (yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
I really like your idea of mounting them to the topcase.
I installed them last night. Wow, these things are really a snap to put on... just 2 screws to remove the tail lights to get at the wires and there's plenty of room to route the new wires and tuck the control box back by the brake lights. The crimp on connectors they provide are really nice. Connecting them to the accessory power instead of the parking light as I wrote above worked out fine, the fact that they stay on for a minute or two after I turn off the bike is actually kind of nice.

I've got to say I'm very impressed with the kit. I got the set with the built in volt meter (I'm a gadget junkie) and it just works: 12.4 volts last night. I played around with reprogramming the modes -- so easy! Just pull the brake lever a certain number of times within 5 seconds of turning the key. I tried the pulse/flicker running lights both ways and decided to leave the flicker turned on -- it's a very subtle fast pulse that catches your eye from the side but when you look right at the light it appears nearly solid. Hopefully it'll help other drivers notice me, it's a neat idea.

After careful consideration I finally decided to just mount them next to the license plate frame. I came very close to making a bracket to put them right under the luggage rack, but I rode with another GT over the weekend and looked carefully at his taillight while behind him and I think that putting the extra lights there would partially block the built in brake light, which isn't something I wanted to do.

I also carefully considered putting them directly behind the luggage rack, but I think this would be too obtrusive when the topcase wasn't on.

My topcase (50l) sticks out past the luggage rack by a good distance, so putting the lights close to the rack would mean they're blocked from view by the case. I'm still toying with the idea of putting them right under the very back edge of the topcase, using dual lock to hold them in place. If I do this I'll also modify the license plate brackets with some dual lock as well, and just put them down by the plate when the topcase isn't on the bike. It'll mean a little more work when putting the case on, but I usually leave it on the bike when I'm doing a long trip so no big deal.

Anyway, big thumbs up on the P3+ lights and the design. There are more LEDs (12 per side) than on any other tail light option I've seen, they're really bright, installation is a snap, and the programming features are very cool.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2008, 1:33 pm
Strafist

The flickering while running is just the cat's ass. Conspicuity, thou name is, "Hey, looky there".

-=grif=-
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2008, 2:55 pm

If anyone needs a set? New never used in box. No voltmeter option.
Halfway down the page.
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14057

Regards, Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2008, 3:20 pm
Enthusiast

I looked through the P3 website, but didn't see any K12GTs.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
I looked through the P3 website, but didn't see any K12GTs.
I linked to it earlier. Here: http://www.p3lights.com/R1200RT.htm

Here's what they look like on an RT. (They look exactly the same on my GT. )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode