BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Warranty question

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  easyman05 
#1 ·
Though the waranty for my GT expired, there is a general question : does installation of any additional non-OEM electric bits void the warranty? Intercoms, Motolights, Zumo, FM/XM, heated gear etc...

TIA

#4 ·
I got a reply from BMW Russia today: "..if your aftermarket device is sourced from the aux socket and drains no more than 5A - then the warranty is O.K. But if it is wired directly to the battery - your warranty is void".
Another "improvement of caiptalism"(c) here?

#5 ·
Let your dealer install the item and then they'll have to hold the bag should anything go wrong. Even better if they sell the device as well. You can always alter it later on and just show the "Labor and item installed by a BMW dealer" receipt when needed.

Or, if it's wired to the battery, just remove it whenever you have a warranty claim.

If you got a real prick for a dealer, they probably could look for anything to escape a warranty claim - or hide in way out back "Until they can get to it" - or the Bozo who did it and goofed it up "Gets back from an extended vacation." <damhik!>

Seriously, I doubt if you'll ever have a warranty issue if you add something like a Powerlet outlet. BMW really screwed that accessory outlet design up with regards to amperage draw for heated clothes.

I do know of one Northern CA dealer who charges extra on labor for any stuff the owner does to his bike where "They have to think about it." He eats crow if I say "A BMW dealer sold it and installed it. Bill them."

Of course, you may need to find another dealer on occasion too.

Mack

#6 ·
Here in NYC, BMW Manhattan is wholly owned by BMWNA. They will not install any Non BMW authorized aftermarket accessories on my bike. I installed my Kissan tailblazer myself and I had another dealer install my motolights.
In fact, the NYC dealer charged me an hours labor to "disconnect" my tailblazer when I had the bike in for a warranty claim to update the software.They claimed that anything hooked up to the electrical system can change parameters. Such BS.
That is why I ride to Danbury, CT ( a little more inconvenient) to do any work on the bike and I go to my local Honda guy to get the bike inspected..

#7 ·
Yes, I was also extra billed for disconnecting/connecting the Stebel horn when they worked on airbox replacement - kinda had to think about it. :)

#8 ·
GMack said:
If you got a real prick for a dealer, they probably could look for anything to escape a warranty claim - or hide in way out back "Until they can get to it" - or the Bozo who did it and goofed it up "Gets back from an extended vacation." <damhik!>

Mack
This is exactly what is going on now! :)

They hate warranty cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.