How do you turn the GT around in a narrow garage? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 7:55 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Question How do you turn the GT around in a narrow garage?

I need to turn the thing around in a narrow garage with a steeply sloped driveway (no chance backing it in). Then, get it as close to the wall as possible.

I looked at those turntables that go under the centerstand, but the GT is so front-end heavy I doubt one could lift the wheel to get it to turn about on one.

This is a one-time deal (I hope!) so I don't want to buy some $$$ turntable.

Any ideas?

Tia.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 8:36 pm
Enthusiast

Sounds like you are in San Francisco.

My wife and I used to live there, with a steep driveway and a 1 car garage, and my wife parked the car in the garage, and I had 1 bike's worth of space. I learned how to back it down the driveway. Never dropped it.

I don't think the front end is all that heavy on the centerstand. Maybe you could put weights in the saddlebags to lighten it up?

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Addict

Put on the center stand and push the back end around. I have done it many times in driveways it will slide a lot better on the smooth cement in the garage. It does leave a mark in the cement. You may want to put some grease down near the center stand so it will slide much smoother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 6:06 am
Rookie

Sorry Braza, but I do not think that is a good idea, the center stand on the GT/2 have had a few problems bending the stops, your method may or may not put additional pressure where it is not needed. In the old days, 60's & 70's we could tilt the bikes on the centerstand and spin it around, we have advanced to the point where it takes 2 men and a boy to get the GT/2 onto the centerstand or maybe I am just getting a tad older!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 6:16 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
I need to turn the thing around in a narrow garage with a steeply sloped driveway (no chance backing it in). Then, get it as close to the wall as possible.

I looked at those turntables that go under the centerstand, but the GT is so front-end heavy I doubt one could lift the wheel to get it to turn about on one.

Any ideas?

Tia.

Mack

A one time deal? I don't understand.

Anyway.. Crank and push, stop, crank and pull, stop, crank and push, stop , you're almost there. Crank and pull, there, you're done. Just kidding... haha

But seriously
ONE of the reasons I sold my '04 GT (prior version) was this very issue. I have a slightly problematic rotator cuff issue in my right shoulder. The '04 was too much like work to turn around in a DOUBLE wide garage. My '08 is better in that regard.

Of my BMWs, my 2005 R1200GS was best in this regard. High and wide bar provided great leverage to get the job done. Light weight of the machine added to make the job almost mindlessly easy in comparison the the GTs.

My departed '05 Kawasaki 650 Ninja (silly name), felt like a toy in this regard.

Speaking of Ninjas.
Remember the original Batman TV series? The Batcave and the Batmobile? Big turntable, under the whole thing.

Dada-dada-dada-dada, dada-dada-dada-dada, BEEMERrrrr

No other suggestions I guess, sorry.

Dmilan
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 6:33 am
Enthusiast

A cheap turn-around device

I cut a 12" diameter disk from 1/2" thick plywood using a hand jigsaw, then went to Home Depot and bought 8 of those low-friction thingies that are made to let you move heavy furniture around. They're gray colored, about 2" diameter, maybe 3/32" thick, and have a sticky-back, so I positi9oned and glued them in place them around the perimeter of the wooden disk.

Lay wood on smooth concrete floor, get bike up on centerstand atop wood disk. Without pushing forward at all (to keep center-stand from retracting) bike can be spun around in a circle and/or moved slowly sideways by using your foot to push on the edge of the wood disk. All that without putting any strain at all on the too-delicate cener-stand.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 3:49 pm
Addict

my buddy can actually do the same thing with his vete in his garage with those furniture moving things- I had to see it to believe it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 4:51 pm

here one

I saw this at one of the canadian bike shows looks pretty cool, google
MOTO PARK SYSTEMS
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 2:19 am
Addict

Quote:

Any ideas?

Tia.

Mack
You could try leaning the bike against your hip with a handful of throttle, the front brake on hard and then push with your hip as the clutch goes out. Your neighbors will love it

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 9:53 am
Noob

Quote:

Any ideas?

Tia.

Mack
Check this out!!

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...t.asp?Item=PNM

Slick deal that someone invented

Take care
Tom

2007 Blue K1200GT 3dr Beemer
1993 Red K1100LT 2nd Beemer
1985 Blue K100RT 1st Beemer

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/misc.p...g=0&forumid=0#

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode