Battery/computer question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

Battery/computer question

Is there anything special to disconnect the battery and reconnecting (for a wiring install for example). I thought I read something somewhere about the computer not booting up correctly or you had to switch the ignition when you reconnected the battery.

Anyone? Thanks.

Long day tomorrow to get home from work but I'll check that darn rear tire for air and hopefully just hit the road for a while. Nothing shakes off work like a good bike ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 1:01 am
IBR# 366

If the battery has been disconnected for 10-15 minutes or longer, you need to reset the throttle body limits.

After connecting the battery, turn the key on but don't start the bike. Then turn the throttle full open, then full closed twice. Then turn the key off.

Now you can turn the key back on and start the bike. It may run a little rough for a while until the computer relearns things, but that should take care of you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 1:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
Is there anything special to disconnect the battery and reconnecting (for a wiring install for example). I thought I read something somewhere about the computer not booting up correctly or you had to switch the ignition when you reconnected the battery.

Anyone? Thanks.

Long day tomorrow to get home from work but I'll check that darn rear tire for air and hopefully just hit the road for a while. Nothing shakes off work like a good bike ride.
All you need to do is reset the throttle position sensor after reconnecting the battery. After the first time you turn on the key, fully turn the throttle to wide open. The "SET" light will illuminate on the speedometer to indicate the TPS has been calibrated. I've read several times here on the forum that the throttle should be opened 2 times but the "SET" light only illuminates the first time making me doubt whether once isn't enough. Two times can't hurt, though.

Added in edit: Looks like Meese and I started typing at the same time but he beat me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 1:18 am
Enthusiast

Being a new GT owner this is good stuff to know... Makes for good reading while working the midnight shift, thanks!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Thanks gang, glad I asked! Pretty sure this isn't in the owner's manual.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 1:06 pm
Addict

No, it isn't in the manual, and for some reason the dealers don't seem to do it after disconnecting the battery and working on the bike. My bike ran like crap after the dealer replaced the airbox, until I got it home, disconnected the battery, waited for about 30 minutes, reconnected the battery, and did a TPS reset.

James
Central Texas
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:09 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane
All you need to do is reset the throttle position sensor after reconnecting the battery. After the first time you turn on the key, fully turn the throttle to wide open. The "SET" light will illuminate on the speedometer to indicate the TPS has been calibrated.
Interesting. We'd always heard two times on the LT site. I can see how the GT might only need once, especially if there is a lighted indicator to confirm it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

I don't think the SET light is a confirmation of the TPS reset, I believe that is only for the computer checks for the cruise control.

I did a TPS reset yesterday like this - turned on the key, rolled on the throttle, rolled off. The timing was perfect and the SET light lit up when I did it. Turn the key off/on and just watch - the SET light goes on during the pre-checks, so I think it's just good timing/coincidence.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode