Anybody knows about Harleys? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 5:56 am Thread Starter
Addict

Anybody knows about Harleys?

Please dont throw me out of here but I like Harleys. Well I know tons of chrome with no power..etc. I like looking at them and I like the unmistakable sound with straight pipes. Looking at the new Cross Bones, anybody knows anything about it?
http://motorcycles.about.com/od/newb...Bones-Gallery/
Dont like apehanger bars but Im sure that can be changed. Any idea if this model has suspension on the back? I may use it once in a while but Id like more to have it in the middle of my livingroom as a piece of furniture. Also like the FatBoy. Which one you recommend?
Thanks.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner

Last edited by Doru-in-Romania; Jun 23rd, 2008 at 6:04 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 6:04 am
Enthusiast

I probably will never have another Harley, but I like the new FXDF Fat Bob. I also like the Buell XT dual sport. They are very expensive for what you get here.

Springer front end is old school and is probably fine for cruising.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 7:33 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

My brother has a Harley. Yeah, yeah....there's one in every family

He has a big Road King dresser or some such thing. It's perfect for a lazy
ride on a Sunday afternoon. If I were to take a route across the USA that
involved only back roads through small towns, no interstate or mountain
riding, the Harley would be the bike.

But, they're mostly driveway ( or living room ) jewelry.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:33 am

harley?

After owning one...that was enough!! If you need to be surrounded by noise, etc., they are great. After owing a bike that actually turns and stops on a dime I would guess that the lure of chrome is just too much!
If you ride a lot you will notice that noise is your worst enemy...with the exception of some person text messaging!!

My motto...buy what you want and live with YOUR decision(s). There are a million Harley's for sale...you can buy a used one cheap if you have the green cash in your hand.

I cannot drive on because I cannot stand to have my legs out in front of me and then have to lift up my foot to use the brake. BMW puts out a great film on how much time it takes a rider to "see" a problem and then lift his/her foot up to hit the rear brake. Usually one goes...splat!!

Let us know what color you purchased!
Mr. Pete--->
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:38 am
Would rather be riding

Night Rod Special...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
Please dont throw me out of here but I like Harleys.
I've never particularly liked Harleys or any cruiser for that matter, but a coworker just got himself a Night Rod Special and I caught myself looking twice at it down in the garage. If you want a loud bike to go slow in a straight line, that one looks pretty good... No chrome at all.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:06 pm
Veteran

Doru,

You will get many opinions about Harleys. There are many models, but I assume you are referring to the popular "big twins" (Softails, Dynas, and Touring models).

One common trait that I have found on all of the big twin Harleys that I have ridden is that there is a lot of vibration when the bike is fully stopped, such as when you are waiting at a traffic light. The word "vibration" is generous; it could easily be described as shaking, or even "violent shaking". This is true whether the engine is counterbalanced and/or rubber mounted. Letting go of the brakes (if you are on level ground) reduces the effect.

These traits are somewhat common among large V-Twin motorcycles. I have ridden Victory and Star (Yamaha), too. The Victory is the same; the Star is somewhat smoother. It is definitely a part of the mystique and fun of owning the big twin -type bikes. For me, it was a significant factor for why I didn't buy one.

Once the bike starts rolling, the shaking stops, and the ride can be very smooth indeed, especially on the touring models.

Depending on the model, the legs-forward seating position may or may not be comfortable for you. Keep in mind that you may not have underneath footpegs to stand on when going over bumps, which may be rough on your tailbone. Some Harleys have floorboards, others have more traditional footpeg positions, but usually give you mount points to attach "highway pegs".

More than any other brand, Harleys can be customized to fit your personal taste, but the custom parts can be expensive, and you won't get your customization "investment" back when you sell the bike.

In the 'States, having a Harley is your ticket to many active clubs and groups. I would guess that the number and variety of the Harley-oriented clubs far exceeds all other motorcycle clubs and groups combined. I have no idea whether this is true in Romania.

Harleys are definitely a very different experience compared with your K1200GT.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:24 pm
I'm riding

Hi, Doru!

You are reading my thoughts - I like the sound too.
Should we have better weather and longer riding season here - I may ride one Fat Bob sometimes.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2008, 4:14 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Doru,

You will get many opinions about Harleys. There are many models, but I assume you are referring to the popular "big twins" (Softails, Dynas, and Touring models).

One common trait that I have found on all of the big twin Harleys that I have ridden is that there is a lot of vibration when the bike is fully stopped, such as when you are waiting at a traffic light. The word "vibration" is generous; it could easily be described as shaking, or even "violent shaking". This is true whether the engine is counterbalanced and/or rubber mounted. Letting go of the brakes (if you are on level ground) reduces the effect.

These traits are somewhat common among large V-Twin motorcycles. I have ridden Victory and Star (Yamaha), too. The Victory is the same; the Star is somewhat smoother. It is definitely a part of the mystique and fun of owning the big twin -type bikes. For me, it was a significant factor for why I didn't buy one.

Once the bike starts rolling, the shaking stops, and the ride can be very smooth indeed, especially on the touring models.

Depending on the model, the legs-forward seating position may or may not be comfortable for you. Keep in mind that you may not have underneath footpegs to stand on when going over bumps, which may be rough on your tailbone. Some Harleys have floorboards, others have more traditional footpeg positions, but usually give you mount points to attach "highway pegs".

More than any other brand, Harleys can be customized to fit your personal taste, but the custom parts can be expensive, and you won't get your customization "investment" back when you sell the bike.

In the 'States, having a Harley is your ticket to many active clubs and groups. I would guess that the number and variety of the Harley-oriented clubs far exceeds all other motorcycle clubs and groups combined. I have no idea whether this is true in Romania.

Harleys are definitely a very different experience compared with your K1200GT.
Doru, all big twin softail models have counterbalanced engines that are rigid mounted in the frame. This means almost no vibration at all, All other big twins have no counterbalancer and the engines are rubber mounted.
It will blow you away to look at one when it is idling. It looks like the engine is going to jump out of the frame.
All of the models with running boards for foot rests will scrape very easily in corners extemely limiting your lean angle. The forward control type models suffer far less from this problem.
The brakes are terrible on most models when compared to those on the GT.
Some of the 08 models can be ordered with Brembo brakes with twin disc front and ABS which apparently work very well but remember you are trying to stop about 450kg when solo.
The new bikes starve for fuel and air to meet EU emmission standards and as a result have no performance and the engine runs so hot it will cook your balls. The stock dual exhausts also prevent them from breathing out whatever fuel and air they do suck in.
You will need an aftermarket engine management system(Thundermax) and aftermarket highflow air filter, and a decent exhaust and when youve done all that it will be a lot more fun to ride and cooler too.
The sound is special, you will get comments and looks wherever you go, the feel of doing 100ks an hour while in 6th doing about 1800rpm is magic so if money isnt a problem do it and have fun and if you dont like it sell it.
The Road king (no counterbalancing) is my personal fave but there are lots of models. The HD website is excellent and has lots of info on all of the models.
Have fun

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2008, 7:50 am
TJD
Rookie

In the minority

I'm definitely in the minority here but I love my KGT and also really liked my Dyne Wide Glide. I ended up trading the Harley because I coveted the performance and function of the beemer but I have nothing bad to say about my HD. It was as reliable as the GT and perhaps even more so. I ran it for 15k miles without a single trip in for service. I loved the vibration, the sound, the foot forward position and classic good looks. For a sunday morning breakfast ride, it was cool as can be. Only gripe was that after riding the GT, I couldn't believe how bad the HD brakes were.

For riding anything longer than 2 hours, in anything other than perfect weather, at speeds greater than 75 mph, in anything more than moderate twisties, the HD was just was not the right bike for me. It was just not made for that stuff. As someone else said on this forum in the past "Different tools for different jobs". I could only justify owning have one bike and ultimately function won out over form.

T

TJD
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2008, 8:35 am Thread Starter
Addict

Spent a lot of time today at the local dealer looking carefully at all those Harleys. My impressions as following:
- Dynas are all very small but also very nice, 2008 models were there. Extremely anemic brakes, almost non existing shock absorbers, front suspension was working like being on springs only, no rebound.
- Softails were bigger, especially Fatboy and Road King. About same size and build quality as a Honda VTX1800 that I had 3 years ago.
My choice- Fatboy
Will buy? - no, too damn expensive, EUR18,000+ TAX the 105 anniversary edition. Maybe slightly used from US.
At the end, I knew there are somehow conservative in design but did not expect such primitive engineering. No brakes, no suspension...nothing. Quality of execution was nothing better than the big japs I have seen.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode