BC Change to Metric from Imperial/US - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2008, 1:38 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Talking BC Change to Metric from Imperial/US

Just got my K1200GT 06 model w/ ESA, very happy with it , I got it used and did not get the manual.
The bike is in Canada and I would like to convert the BC to Metric and back to Imperial when I travel in the US, does anyone know how its done?
Also if some one has the owners manual in PDF that would be great!

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2008, 2:43 pm
Would rather be riding

Nothing in the owner's manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by star57
The bike is in Canada and I would like to convert the BC to Metric and back to Imperial when I travel in the US, does anyone know how its done?
Yeah, why the heck doesn't BMW put the owner's manuals online, like pretty much every other company on the planet?

Anyway, I just grabbed my manual and looked through it. There's nothing I could find about switching the units for the OBC. In fact, the manual I have says in the text that readouts are in mpg or miles. There's nothing (not even parenthetical) to indicate that the readouts can be converted to metric.

My guess is it can be done, if only because it's cheaper to build one part and program it than to stock two different displays and computers... but it probably requires updating the firmware in the OBC. That is, needs a dealer with the latest CD and the fancy BMW programming tools.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 1:34 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I know it cab be changed to Metric, the R1200 RT that I sold had it changed when it was at the shop but this time with the GT it was not done and I was wondering if a combo of switch playing would do it.
I will take it o the shop and they will rape to change it, they hate the Canadians that buy these bikes in the US at a 40% discount relative to our prices.

FF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 3:16 pm
Noob

Quote:
Just got my K1200GT 06 model w/ ESA, very happy with it , I got it used and did not get the manual.

Thanks in advance

I could tell you how to change it but my imperialistic attitude will not allow me too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 5:52 pm
Would rather be riding

Try pressing and holding...

Quote:
You might try pressing combinations of the BC button and the two "set" buttons on either side of the LCD display. Possibly press and hold one or more buttons for a couple of seconds, possibly when the BC display is in the right mode. There's probably a similar way to switch the temperature display from F to C.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 6:07 pm
Looking for better limits...

Just keep in mind that the U.S. does not use "Imperial" gallons, if that's an option. Have no idea what they use to refer to "U.S." gallons, but an Imperial gallon is much larger than a U.S. gallon, fwiw.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 9:26 pm

I thought I could help...

I did a couple Google searches and this thread keeps coming up as the number 1 search result. It appears the entire internet is completely void of this information. We're really breaking ground here!

Although I'm based in the States I would love to have celsius and not fahrenheit displayed as that's all I use at work and I'm used to it now. Confuses the heck out of everyone else though. "Is it nice out?" Yeah, about 26,27, beautiful! And then they bring a coat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode